The New Time Computer

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Time Computer... Utter Junk !!!!

Post08 May 2006, 23:05

I second that last comment D.M. For me, the actual watch size will also make a difference to how much I like it. I know people have different wrist sizes, but I think, because of the unique design (especially the raised bezel), if the watch is too big it could look more toy like. If the size is just right, it could look pretty elegant - although not in the traditional Pulsar way.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 May 2006, 23:16

dot matrix wrote:The new Time Computer is not a "Pulsar" - "Pulsar" was a brand, and I suppose it still is, although it is now owned by Seiko.

I know its not a Pulsar...but if the name Pulsar could have been used they would have(I guess?).
Using the term "Time Computer" is a way of riding on the Pulsar-fame..isnt it?

Who designed it?
I?m losing my edge!

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 May 2006, 23:18

BTW,I dont think its junk :D
I?m losing my edge!

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Re: The New Time Computer

Post09 May 2006, 00:40

Ahh now I see Ledwatch :)
Well if its any consolation they had to engineer some of the shake back into the ballanced motors. It just aint a Harley without the shake

Abacus - I agree with you, I am hoping the size will be right, for me not to thick so I look forward to the pics.

little1up - Here we go again, another Huge Reaction to this watch, really what is it with you guys, I have looked through these forums and have not seen this reaction to Any Other watch from you guys or anyone else.

I dont know anyone on these forums all that well but my gut instinct from the previous posts is that something is going on. I may be wrong and I may be right, If you PPL cant say something constructive then say nothing. If you want to say something destructive, save it for a new watch that will grow horns and bite you on the arse.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 May 2006, 01:39

PPL cant say something constructive then say nothing. If you want to say something destructive, save it for a new watch that will grow horns and bite you on the arse.

So people can't state their opinions? It would be nice when my watch comes out, that any negative comments will be filtered out.

As far as size that has been mentioned, my watch is pretty big (mostly becuase of the wide face), although it will fit as small as a 5.5 inch wrist (up to a 9") and it's 10mm thick so some may find it big, I dunno. I made sure it would fit my small 5.7" wrists, which it looks good on.

There you go, I've given you something to possibly critique already. :) Just take it to my thread since this is the TC thread.

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post09 May 2006, 02:15

andyz4000 - my late wife,r.i.p. was Greek & Macedonian so I take that whole "bite in the arse" comment seriously - not exactly "Greek style" but it still sounds painful :o pa! And for showing a woman the time at the disco, much better to have un-inverted time, then she has to step in real close......

But seriously, IMO, the new "computerized timepiece watch" looks like a toy in the pictures....looks like a grey plastic case with a acrylic plastic crystal that flexes when you push on it. :P

I don't think I've had a real strong negative reaction to a new timepiece before....I don't like pimply buttons, I prefer glass of plastic crystals, I think Pulsars are a bit bulbous(although I own 6 not including the 2 I got for the new missus). And I still long for a nice, jewelry style LED watch.
I AM highly opinionated and prone to threaten watches with personal violence.

I agree with those who say there is little aesthetic value to it
Last edited by retroleds on 09 May 2006, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 05:20

Little1up - glad to see you have lightened up and have some humor, we must share an ouzo one day :wink:

MJ - You sould be so lucky that no one is canning your watch, I have seen it and its ok. I agree totally that everyone can state thier oppinion and my oppinion stands, you of all people I thought would be more tactfull as a watch designer/maker. If I was thinking of doing my own watch I would think twice because of the type of comments I have read, how can that be a good thing for us enthusiasts as good constuctive critisism can only end up with a better watch, 5hit canning will do nothing.

Andrew

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 May 2006, 05:50

I do recall someone here not liking it. :) I can't remember who it was. But hey, when it comes out, not everyone is going to. Not everyone likes any particular item.

Jeff

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 06:08

I must check yours out MJ, I have read most of the posts and seen some early design pics. Good luck with it and It will be great to see it in its final stage.

Personally I like larger watches, It's a mens watch after all so I dont see a drama in that :wink:

Digitiser

Post09 May 2006, 13:05

I agree with those who think there is something funny here, I have never known a watch to come out and have so much venom aimed at it.

I remember when BMW bought the rights to produce the English Mini car it was met with hate and love in equal measures, but very little else in between.

This is before we have even seen a watch, at the moment we have only seen an animation, personally I like it, even if its way over priced. Mind you, I also
really like women with a nice big fat ass. :lol:

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 13:45

Nice to see another plus Digitiser, I'm very keen to see more pics.

Again I was reading up on TC site and I can see some of the cost being in the Sapphire, a lifetime replacement warrantee against scratching is pretty good. I think Sapphire is hardness #7 which is the next best thing to Diamond but I'm not sure about created sapphire, but still I think it will be pretty tough.

Really I am pretty keen on getting a real life look at it :)

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 13:51

BTW this may be a silly question but how does the color thing work?

Is there such thing as a white display? I wonder because this watch has colored crystals so really there might be no point in different color display.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post09 May 2006, 14:08

I'll admit I was a bit harsh on the TC....obviously THEY love it and put a lot of work into it. I think Digitizer hit it on the head...the first strike for me was the use of the Time Computer moniker and then it became a struggle of mentally aligning the past with it's futuristic design. That and my strongly held belief that the primary use of a high-end watch nowadays is as jewelry, and secondarily as a timepiece. The feature set is nice, but the inverted display and the touch technology it utilizes are the only features I haven't seen in some other, lower priced watches(like the $55 Fila Gent).....

I didn't like MJ's watch at first either, but with him removing the horseman and decluttering the face, it has a solid watch-like look to it. IMO

Trimmer technology is simple and works good, but it DOES require opening the case?

I have no personal ax to grind with oldpulsar...he is completely off my radar in that regard.

No offense was intended to fellow lovers of big-butted women - I need something bigger to hang onto myself these days....you know, the arthritis in the hands and all that. :lol:

Yes,it is sad/funny - if we were picking apart a new movie, nobody would get inflamed that we dissected it to the smallest pieces. :wink: Freakn fanatics!!
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 14:23

Well whoever gets thier hands on this woman, please do a short review, there are so many questions I have which really can only be answered by the actual user.

How bright is the display, how it feels on the wrist, how sensetive is the touch and flick feature etc.

And of course when mine arrives I will be sure you do a review for anyone who is interested :wink:

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 May 2006, 14:44

removing the horseman

Ha, that was a brief idea that I wanted people to comment on. I think that "design" lasted 2 hours. :)

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 14:48

BTW little1up, how is your collection going? I keep saying I wont buy anymore but I cant stop, I have 2 more in the mail and a snipe on another.

I want to sell off some doubles so I can refine my collection but then I always make lame excuses and end up keeping them.

ahhh its back to work so I can keep up with the credit card bills :oops:

TimeLine

Post09 May 2006, 15:36

Been a long time lurker here and thought I'd post about this watch. I only know what I've read about it here and I've only seen 2 photos on the first page of this thread. I don't like the look or shape of the crystal and the touch buttons, although they are nice to have, aren't very distinct as buttons but I guess one would get a feel for it after awhile. I think the upside down time is VERY gimmicky like some others have stated. This is simply something I would not need nor want on a watch. If some good looking chick came up to me, asking for the time, I definitely wouldn't push the button, displaying the time for her to see. What a geek I'd look like. Seriously though, if someone wants to know the time, I check and I tell them. I think there are two main reasons about the negativity of the watch. One is using a name that had a lot to live up to when it should have just been called the Inverta. The other is the price. It's simply not worth $500. I notice some get defensive about others saying bad things about the watch. Why? The main thing is if you like the watch. If you need to justify your purchase by reading good things about it, then I would guess that you're not 100% on your purchase.

TimeLine
aka Scott

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post09 May 2006, 16:01

TimeLine wrote:Been a long time lurker here and thought I'd post about this watch...[shortened for clarity]..... I notice some get defensive about others saying bad things about the watch. Why? The main thing is if you like the watch. If you need to justify your purchase by reading good things about it, then I would guess that you're not 100% on your purchase.TimeLine
aka Scott

Well said TimeLine -"from the mouths of babes, off-times come gems".

collector

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 17:11

My final thoughts on this topic --- Not that they count for much!!

1. I do like the watch and as previously posted ordered two of them.
(My following thoughts are not a defense as to my purchase decision - I truly like the watch.)

2. As far as everybody elses opinion - we are all entiled to our own opinions. Self evident truth - each and every one of us will "vote" with our own money.

3. According to the forum webmaster there are roughly 380 registered users and ??? how many guests who log onto the forum.

4. No more than 10% of "us registered users" have posted any opinion, positive or negative, on this watch.

5. The "Marketplace Final Report Card" on this watch will probably not be in for a number of years. Lets not loose the perspective that there are still many BILLIONS of watch wearers across the globe who are not collectors. If just a very tiny percentage of them buy the watch, TIme Computer will be a rich man, never mind the $ he's probably going to make in the future off some of his patents on this watch.

6. Till 2025 (picked that year because of the song) we all will be only guessing on the success of this watch!! In the meantime I'll try and enjoy the watch.

7. If I find I am not enjoying the watch I'll send it to Little1up for target practice!!! Like that method of putting a watch down the best (see thread on that subject).

As "Bugs" said "that's all folks" from me on this watch!!! Moving my attention back to the "new new" Junghans Mega 1000 as it look,s like I'm also going to end up with two different versions of this watch. Among other things it has my beloved seconds display, is accurate to 1/1000th of a second all the time (as long as it syncs) and does not need a trimmer capacitor to do so. As Im typing this, I'm wondering if the next generation of the "New Time Computer" could be an "Atomic Model" and while I'm at it, make it solar powered too. Ok Ok I'm going crazy!!!

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 May 2006, 20:58

andyz4000 wrote:....I think Sapphire is hardness #7 .....

Really I am pretty keen on getting a real life look at it :)

For what it's worth, saphire (corundum) has a hardness of 9, although I beleive synthetic saphire is a little tiny bit softer. Quartz is 7, so there really should be a big difference in the hardness of this crystal to regular mineral glass, especially as the scale (mohs scale) isn't linear.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2006, 21:10

Like I said, constructive critisism is good Timeline

If you "showed a chickey babe the time on the dance floor" you would be a geek but also geeks dont have a sharp sense of what humor is Scott

I for one put my order in before people were calling it junk and getting depressed over this watch, I am a member of a number of technical forums and have never seen this sort of slanging so I question it.

I totally understand if people dont like it and would never question that, hell there are plenty of watches I would never buy or wear, I questioned why some of these remarks were so destructive and borderline vindictive, especially at such an early stage.

Dont forget, this is not some huge distant company, this watch is being developed by a fellow collector and enthusiast and it got under my skin when I saw people trying to chop this project off at the ankles at such an early stage with un called for remarks.

Andrew

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 May 2006, 22:49

I DONT have any problems with Time Computer whatsoever.

Never talked to him,sold to him nor bought from him.
I`ll give his Pulsar-site 9 out of 10!

I just dont like the watch and I believe/hope that he (Time Computer) can take the critisism.

If I would do a sequal to Apocalyps Now there would be a demand that it had the "feel" of the original,not something completely different but using the same name!
(hmm,I wonder if anyone understood that?)
I?m losing my edge!
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Digitals