What I would like to see in a LED Watch Part II

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

What I would like to see in a LED Watch Part II

Post07 May 2006, 02:33

I started the previous thread on "What I would like to see in a LED Watch". It is now 10 pages long so I felt it was time to start a new thread.

I started the previous thread by listing MY PERSONAL requirements for a new LED watch. I will relist them here as I do want to compare them against 3 new LED watches; 1. The new "Time Computer" 2. MJ's new watch and 3. the new unbranded Green drivers watch. I may be wrong about my answers - if I am wrong somebody please correct me!!

1. Good quality saphire crystal - no mineral glass etc
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - ????
Green Side view - Dont think so

2. High quality "hard" stainless case, steel band and clasp - not something that will scratch the clasp or band the first time you are at your desk and rub it on the desk top!
Time Computer - Yes
MJ -???
Green Side view ???

3. One push button to tell time etc (NOT A PIMPLY LOOKING THING) with a second recessed button for setting everything. i.e. Adidas's buttons are pimply looking and ill placed, and at a min the date and time buttons shoud be reversed, they are stupid in their present configuration / location.
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - not pimples but still two buttons, although they are very nice looking
Green Sideview - Pimple Buttons

4. Hour, second, month, date display WITH THE CAPABILITY of setting seconds.
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - No
Green Sideview - No

5. Screw off / on battery button - similar to the early Wits, Bulovas, etc - not the Pulsar type. NO PRY OFF CASEBACK WHATSOEVER!!!
Time Computer - ???
MJ - ???
Green Sideview - Not sure but I do not think so

6. Signed band as well as clasp
Time Computer - I think so
MJ - I think so
Green Sideview - ???

7. Serialized with an online registery / warranty process etc - never a doubt about origin etc. I bought my wife a Moissanite ring and the Charles and Colvard site made it very easy to register the individual stone / serial # as well as make you eligible for their lifetime warranty - so this should not be a hard thing to do - other retailers also do this.
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - Dont think so
Green Sideview - No

8. Good reliable well made electronic module - not another .99 cent module from China etc. THIS IS A MUST IF I SEE ANOTHER CHEAP PIECE OF C---- module I will scream!
Time Computer - Yes (based on input from the Time Computer)
MJ - ???
Green Sideview - ???

9. Good design - not another knockoff
Time Computer - Totally Yes
MJ - Mostly yes
Green Sideview - NO - Bulova, Adidas, & others already did this

10. Waterproof to 5 Bar - not something that goes under the first time you wash your hands!!
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - ???
Green Sideview - ???

11. Easily adjustable band size (large enough to fit a good sized wrist) - okay if you have to bring it to a jeweler - but it should not make the jeweler scream in frustration when they try to resize it!!
All 3 ????

12. NO PLASTIC PARTS ANYWHERE ON THE WATCH!!!
Time Computer - No plastic
MJ - Dont think so
Greene Sideview - Dont think so

13. Decent UNDERSTANDABLE instruction / warranty booklet.
All 3 ?????

In addition, others who replied to the thread had the following as requirements: I liked these so I added them to my list.
Alarms
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - No
Green Sideview No

Flick on (Like the P4)
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - No
Green Sideview - No

I realize others on this forum have different opinions about the new Time Computer but the BOTTOM LINE IS - THIS WATCH MET MOST OF MY PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS AND WILL GET MY MONEY.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Re: What I would like to see in a LED Watch Part II

Post07 May 2006, 03:07

I agree Collector :wink:

I think some people expected a Pulsar replica or something like that, well thats exactly what I didn't want so the new TC will be a great and unique addition to my collection, not some high quality boring replica.
Last edited by andyz4000 on 07 May 2006, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post07 May 2006, 04:19

Well this sure sounds like a good ad for the TC watch. :) I could come up with other things on that list that none of the below watches have. Everything seems to be centered around the TC. Hum...

Anyway, I'll reply to this since my watch is on the list.

1. Good quality saphire crystal - no mineral glass etc
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - ????
Green Side view - Dont think so

To this I say, who cares. How is this going to enhance the watch? Mineral glass crystals (on my watch anyway) are durable, stop water from getting in and look good. A saphire crystal just passes the cost on to the consumer.

2. High quality "hard" stainless case, steel band and clasp - not something that will scratch the clasp or band the first time you are at your desk and rub it on the desk top!
Time Computer - Yes
MJ -???
Green Side view ???

You can add a YES to the Majestyk watch in the high quality department. Scratch resistant? Well, I haven?t rubbed my watch against furniture to test that out. I will say my watch is heavier than any LED watch made in the 70?s.

3. One push button to tell time etc (NOT A PIMPLY LOOKING THING) with a second recessed button for setting everything. i.e. Adidas's buttons are pimply looking and ill placed, and at a min the date and time buttons shoud be reversed, they are stupid in their present configuration / location.
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - not pimples but still two buttons, although they are very nice looking
Green Sideview - Pimple Buttons

My watch is pimple free!

4. Hour, second, month, date display WITH THE CAPABILITY of setting seconds.
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - No
Green Sideview - No

No Seconds. I know, it's a real sacrifice. :)

5. Screw off / on battery button - similar to the early Wits, Bulovas, etc - not the Pulsar type. NO PRY OFF CASEBACK WHATSOEVER!!!
Time Computer - ???
MJ - ???
Green Sideview - Not sure but I do not think so

Screw off is a bad idea, unless you have a proper tool and a steady hand. Mine has four Philips screws that are easy to get off.

UPDATE: Sorry I thought you were talking about the screw off ring like the old Pulsars. The screw off "battery button" is an eye sore in my opinion. I drew one up in my design and it didn't look good.

6. Signed band as well as clasp
Time Computer - I think so
MJ - I think so
Green Sideview - ???

Signed band? Does anyone else think this is needed?

7. Serialized with an online registery / warranty process etc - never a doubt about origin etc. I bought my wife a Moissanite ring and the Charles and Colvard site made it very easy to register the individual stone / serial # as well as make you eligible for their lifetime warranty - so this should not be a hard thing to do - other retailers also do this.
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - Dont think so
Green Sideview - No

Now this is getting nit picky (read my opening statement). :)

One thing I will offer with my watch is a coupon for a discount on another Majestyk "M1" watch. That being one with a diffent color display or any other upgrade to the "M1" like a colored crystal.

8. Good reliable well made electronic module - not another .99 cent module from China etc. THIS IS A MUST IF I SEE ANOTHER CHEAP PIECE OF C---- module I will scream!
Time Computer - Yes (based on input from the Time Computer)
MJ - ???
Green Sideview - ???

95% of digital watch modules are made in China around that area of the World. The module in the Majestyk watch is in the same line as the type built in the Adidas, which was a very good module.

It?s very well protected inside plastic casing and it won?t break. I already took one apart and threw the circuit board around my house and it still works 100%. Again, at my price point $149 to $179, you?re not going to get a US hand crafted built module.

9. Good design - not another knockoff
Time Computer - Totally Yes
MJ - Mostly yes
Green Sideview - NO - Bulova, Adidas, & others already did this

As Newt in Aliens would say, "Mostly". In defence of Megalasers watch...It's supposed to look like a Bulova. :)

10. Waterproof to 5 Bar - not something that goes under the first time you wash your hands!!
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - ???
Green Sideview - ???

I?ll have to check on that. The back plate on mine has Water Resistant to 50m. I need to know exactly what that means and have never gotten around to inquiring on that. You can definitely wash your hands with it. :)

11. Easily adjustable band size (large enough to fit a good sized wrist) - okay if you have to bring it to a jeweler - but it should not make the jeweler scream in frustration when they try to resize it!!
All 3 ????

Mine has individual spring bars in the links. A monkey can remove and reinsert them. Megalasers watch, by the way, has a leather strap. :)

12. NO PLASTIC PARTS ANYWHERE ON THE WATCH!!!
Time Computer - No plastic
MJ - Dont think so
Greene Sideview - Dont think so

You are correct. Except the casing around my module. (Metal wouldn?t work, believe me).

13. Decent UNDERSTANDABLE instruction / warranty booklet.
All 3 ?????

Mine will be in Swahili.

In addition, others who replied to the thread had the following as requirements: I liked these so I added them to my list.
Alarms
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - No
Green Sideview No

My watch was meant to be more like one from the 70?s. An alarm to me was more of an 80?s thing, even though there was one manufacture in the 70?s that made an alarm module. (Ah, maybe the HP-01 too, I forget, did this have an Alarm?)

Flick on (Like the P4)
Time Computer - Yes
MJ - No
Green Sideview ? No

Ah just wait on that. I might be adding one more feature to my watch. It will blow away the flick of the wrist if I do it. It will not require any movement of the arm to always view the time. This might be in the too late stage, but we shall see. I was going to implement this in the begining and then changed my mind but now I'm leaning towards it again.

Jeff

PS: You forgot to add inverted time to your list. :)

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 May 2006, 08:52

MJ wrote:[PS: You forgot to add inverted time to your list. :)

Maybe, even on a well built, expensive LED, collector knows a gimmck when he see's it :D

As for comparing the three newest LED offers, it's understandable, but a little unfair as their prices are so different, even if the target audience is similar. Personally, I have a green drivers, and would consider buying one of MJ's watches, and a new TC. Each design is very distinctive, and love it or loath it, at least the TC is a brave design. It would have been easier to make a more conventional style. I originaly thought to put the put the green drivers in my collection, but its not good enough, so I wear it as a regular work watch, while I would use MJ's for going out, and the TC just for occasions.

I'm looking forward to reading more info on your new feature MJ :)

PS. I hope the TC alarm is easier to turn off than the Hamilton one of the 70's, the one I have seems to constantly go into snooze mode, now that is irritating. Maybe i'm doing something wrong :?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post07 May 2006, 12:34

abacus, you are very correct. Every watch listed above is different, and has a different price range. Some people might like all three, some people might not like any of them. Megalasers watch is a homage to the Bulova. My attempt was to capture the 70's LED and jump hour look, Dennis's watch is a different take or "redesign" of the LED watch.

Although they all have their pros and cons (I won't say what), I do like them all.

Jeff

collector

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 13:36

MJ - My requirements post was not meant to be an ad for the new Time Computer - just a comparison of what I wanted in a new "LED" watch, regardless of a price point. Before I go on as to why some of the requirements, I must say, I do like your new watch and will probably buy it, but not because it met all of my requiremnts , simply that it is a nice looking watch.

Saphire Crystal - I have had bad experiences with the Hamilton and Wittnauer LEDs - scratched the crystal, My favorite Bulova Spaceview Accutrons have scratched over the years. I also collect Seiko Kinetics - The Auto Relay (thought it was mineral glass) scratched on the very first day I bought it. The Seikos with Saphire crystals have not. I also have two Junghans Atomic Watches in my collection the Mega Stainless has a saphire crystal and has not scratched in 4 years, the first version Mega 1000 does not have it - I am scared to death of scratching it, in fact Junghans discontinued this version and has now come out with a Saphire only crystal version.

Hard Stainless steel band - I have had a number of bad experiences with lesser quality bands - as an example besides the Adidas 602 Sideview, I bought the Adidas Model 601 round face one. The very first day I sat at my desk, (I wear short sleeves), the band scratched when I simply rubbed it across the top of the desk. This is not the only watch I have had this happen to over the years.

One Button - I have the One Button Bulova Sideview, it displays time, date day, seconds etc, all with one button. I personally like this and figure since it was done in the 70's, it should not be that hard to duplicate.

Can wash my hands - An example, I have a Pulsar Sports 3502 and my wife has the Ladies Pulsar touch command - if we wash our hands and get the slighest amount of water on the touch buttons, the display stays lit and its a pain to turn them off. Was trying to avoid this.

Seconds Display - Very important, silly uses for me are eBay sniping, accurate setting - yes I am anal about wanting my watch to be accurate to the second, primary raeson I wear the Junghans atomics as my primary watches.

Screw on battery back - I guess I will not see this in any new watch. My '60s & 70 Bulova Accutrons have it, the early Wits had it, the Buloval Sideview had it, etc etc. With the old design, changing a battery with a coin was a simple process. Guess I will never see this again in any watch.

Signed band / clasp - Self evident - Most every watch, Led or not, which you see on eBay lists signed band / clasp as a plus. Way of tracking originality of watch over the years.

Serialized registery - Questions regarding the Pulsar, what is original, how many etc etc on this forum is one reason. (See posts by Bruce about spreadsheets etc etc.) My experiences with the Bulova Spaceviews is another. Regular Accutrons are being converted on a regular basis to "Spaceviews" in an attempt to increase $ value. Only a die hard collector can tell the difference. The $ value between the two is high. No way of tracking by serial #. Was hoping to avoid this in later years.

Easily adjustable band - The Adidas sideview is an example, my jeweler went crazy with that one as opposed to the ones you can simply do yourself.

Easily understandable directions - two examples; Junghans Stainless Steel, NOT, spent hours on this one. Junghans Mega 1000 very good easy to understand instruction book. Adidas Not etc

Well enough of this, I think you get the idea, I spent much time on my wish list based on my collecting experiences over the last 40 years.

By the way Abacus is right, inverted time is a gimic but it is nice. Would never have thought of this one.

andyz4000

Techie

Techie

Post07 May 2006, 17:54

Well I collect mainly LEDs but I do own and wear a few others including the Omega X-33 Speedmaster, this also has Sapphire Crystal and believe you me it not only looks better it is the most durable of all my crystals - Mind you, this is a 4,000 Dollar Watch !! Can you imagine Sapphire Crystal in Color? It's going to be PURE CLASS :shock:

Mind you TC has done this on a watch which is much more affordable, I am very fussy about the quality and durability of my watches so I applaud it.

High Grade 316 Stainless Steel with no hollow links, high quality and Solid. Again this is what I expect from a quality Time Piece. 316 is the highest grade SS used on watches. Well thats a lie because Rolex uses 904L but really at 3 times the cost no other watch makes does this as 316 and 904L are the same hardness.

Buttons - Love the sensor idea and really happy about the flick option (or roll, not sure but either is cool). Also very interested to see that it reacts to finger only and not water etc.

Seconds ? Yes Please! How accurate is a watch, I set mine by the seconds and I would like to monitor this, plus I am into sport and motor racing. Do watches without seconds exist?

Battery Access, well I'm not really fussed as long as it's practical

Signed band - Well I'd rather have it than not, it shows pride in the product and is usually found only in high end time pieces.

Alarm - Yes and thank you very much, I do intend to use my new TC not just look at it. 2 alarms and a count down timer, my X-33 has the same and I have used them often, It aint the 70s yknow

Inverted, well I figure electronics these days are such that this would have been a very minor cost addition. This was a very thoughtfull addition and PPL may not see the use in it cause they never had it to start with, my wife has pressed my buttons on more than one occasion just to see the time so I will give up my yoga lessons and wont move an inch next time she tries :wink: Although I would never have asked for or even thought of this function, I think its classy. I like it a lot!!

Ahhh hell I could go on for ever, I was just looking at the specs again and found even more features.

I,m excited and really cant wait to see some real reviews.

BTW does anyone know when the pics will be up, I thought by now they would be there :(

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 May 2006, 21:15

collector wrote:Can wash my hands - An example, I have a Pulsar Sports 3502 and my wife has the Ladies Pulsar touch command - if we wash our hands and get the slighest amount of water on the touch buttons, the display stays lit and its a pain to turn them off. Was trying to avoid this.

This is due to microscopic cracks in the plastic insulator around the buttons getting water in them, shorting to the case until the water drys - when the watch is really good and dry, swab the buttons with a small amount of clear liquid silicone(like they use for sealing the grout on tile or the stuff for sealing camping goods), and then wipe off the excess. This stops the problem in its tracks. The missus and I both have Pulsar Touch Commands, and this was an issue for her especially, since she is a science teacher that is always washing her hands. :wink:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post08 May 2006, 18:29

Little1up - Thanks for the silcone hint. I would not have thought of it and even if I did, probably would have been afraid to try it. I did try it on one button my 3502 and it appears to work. Now that I am not afraid of doing this, I'll do the other button. When I'm finished I'll show the wife and do hers. (I did mine first as she would have killed me if I "messed" hers up - its one of her favorite watches.)

On a seperate note, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid happening in a new design LED watch. At least, I was not the only one with this problem.

Again, thanks for the hint!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post08 May 2006, 19:10

collector - you're welcome. I'm sometimes torn on sharing a "secret" :? .... then I ask myself,"if the vintage pieces were more consistent in their function,would the market improve?" Yeah, improve the market through excellence, not deception. 8)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post11 May 2006, 15:22

This is a follow up on one of my requirements for a new LED Watch. I am following up on this one, as I do not think this particular requirement was taken seriously.

I had previously posted this requirement:

"High quality "hard" stainless case, steel band and clasp - not something that will scratch the clasp or band the first time you are at your desk and rub it on the desk top!'' In a subsquent post I clarified further;

"I have had a number of bad experiences with lesser quality bands - as an example besides the Adidas 602 Sideview, I bought the Adidas Model 601 round face one. The very first day I sat at my desk, (I wear short sleeves), the band scratched when I simply rubbed it across the top of the desk. This is not the only watch I have had this happen to over the years."

Thanks to yesterdays input of a fellow forum member, I am going to save $400+ on a purchase I was in the process of and NOW AM NOT GOING TO MAKE. Specifically the new upated Junghans Mega 1000. (Yes I know this is a LCD watch and this is a LED thread but we are talking about LED watch band requirements!!)

The input is in the following thread. http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1230&start=6

To pick out specifics:

I wrote:

"I'm probably a glutton for punishment as, I am going to keep my "New Old Model Version 2 model" because I really like the band design on it. The band design on the new one is much different. Oh well yet another collection to ponder over:)"

Grun Responded:

"Talking about the band and its design, it is this part of the watch that I'm not so happy with.

I don't know about earlier models, but the band itself has a brushed surface, almost with a kind of satin look. I find it hard to describe, but probably you know what I'm talking about. This look is very fragile. It's almost impossible to keep it in a brandnew condition if you're wearing the watch on a daily basis, like I do. The watch itself is still in mint condition, but the bottom of the band shows very tiny scratchmarks allready. I wear the watch on the same hand with which I'm moving the mouse around (I'm a system administrator) so all day long the bottom of the band is in contact with the desk surface, causing those tiny scratches. Well, it is not even a scratch, but it destroys the satin look at those places. My other watches with stainless steel bands, even the models that are ten times cheaper and that I own several years, don't show this kind of visible damage. Apart from that, it is still a great watch."

The band on the version I do own of this watch has not scratched. Bottom line, why would I purchase a watch whose band is going to scratch by simply rubbing it across a desk? I had this watch on order and have now cancelled the order.

I also will avoid any other new watch, LED, LCD, Kinetic or Atomic that have bands that easily scratch. (Yes, I do collect watches in each of these categories.)

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2006, 15:39

I've been wearing watches for years, and I've never put one scratch on them. Whenever I think the watch is going to be in a scratch inducing situation, I take it off and stick it in my pocket. Or, if I'm wearing long sleeves, I'll make sure the sleeve is well over it. Then there's the automatic reflex that I do, when I think it will brush up against something. I'll move my arm/wrist as close to me as possible so it will be out of the way.

I've seen some pretty high quality watches on Ebay; Pulsar, Omega, Breitling, and some are just full of scratches. I think the number one way of reducing them is being conscious of what you're doing while wearing it.

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2006, 15:41

Saphire crystal: increasing hardness reduces an object's ability to endure blunt force trauma. A diamond is easy to crush, although hard to lightly scratch...good thing there is that warrenty. Unsigned plastic crystals are the easiest to reface, hardest to chip; albiet easiest to scuff. I'm with MJ - glass is a good compromise,especially considering cost.

PCBs(printed circuit boards are made on fairly standarized machines, so why worry if it is made in China? An American company might use the exact same equiptment. And the Chinese do a lot of this - practice makes perfect(so they say).

Signed bands are nice - indicates they are original.
Workability of bands:I don't want it to be too difficult to change links, then again, I've made good money changing them for others. The "public" should probably avoid working on their own watches or doing their own dentistry. :lol:

collector

Techie

Techie

Post11 May 2006, 15:52

Jeff,

If one is doing very physical / manual work I totally agree that one should remove their watch.

However, I totally disagee about having to take it off if I am simply sitting at my desk and working!!! (Please re-read Grun's post) As Grun stated, I also have a very very large # of watches whose bands HAVE NOT marred while simply sitting and working at my desk. As an example, if we stick to the Junghans brand, I do have 3 other Atomics and none have scratched to date, including the previous version / model of the watch specifically being talked about (it does have a totally different band than the new one in question). Something was changed in the new band. Another example is one of my favorite watches, my 1967 Bulova Spaceview. I am the original owner and this watch still has its original Stainless Steel band. The band has not marred in 39 years of use (including heavy usage at times).

Bottom line, I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation to sit a a computer / desk and not have your watch band mar while you are moving your hands about.

Return to Modern Digitals