Making new modules for old watches

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Re: Making new modules for old watches

Post28 Jun 2006, 20:05

Yes, nice 6 digit time with changing seconds and letters for days of week and month, this was one of my main motivations too. The OLED display is a graphic display that can cope with characters, numbers and symbols etc.
I think that the reason the current manufacturers of ''NEW LEDS'' don't have a seconds display or more than 4 digits is that the chip in all of them has the same low cost source (in China) and is a small range based on the same chip. As I am not using the same source I don't have to live with the same limitations.
LED watches are cool!

collector

Techie

Techie

Post29 Jun 2006, 15:02

Dragonfly,

That is great news!!!! This does prove that a new LED module can display seconds!!!

Enough of the cheap China / etc Modules which do not display seconds!!!

A related thought / question for MJ.

If this new module could to made to fit into your new watch, not only would your new style be something different in the market place, the module displaying seconds etc would make the new watch absolutely different from what we are now seeing as far as "new leds"!! It could be a real category "killer". Just my two cents worth!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post29 Jun 2006, 20:42

I'm wondering how many people really care about the seconds "issue" - you are talking about a seconds feature that starts from "0" for purposes of timing something? Or for prescise setting purposes?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post29 Jun 2006, 21:03

Both - As I had said in other posts I personally WILL NOT BUY ANY watch which does not. If it is unimportant to others so be it. But, I really really don't understand why we can not have a seconds feature on ONLY SOME new modern LED's. Obviously Dragonfly can do it on his new modules and Time Computer can do it on his new watch- why not others? Not to mention that they were even available on the first LED's in the early 1970's!! Give me a break!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jun 2006, 22:25

collector: I'd agree that it does seem like it should be a fairly easy feature to work in...I was just pondering what percentage of people care one way or the other(a show of hands gentlemen?). The majority of the old ones are pretty irritating, IMO, with the seconds starting wherever they may be within the minute, and of course they keep no running count once the next minute ticks by, considering they start at a seemingly random time...:( Without 100ths or at least 1/10th of a second readout, none are good for anything but the crudest timing - once you've used a chronagrapher with 1/100ths, a second seems a really big chunk of time to round off on. :shock:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jun 2006, 02:36

Not to mention that they were even available on the first LED's in the early 1970's!

Well, today's LED watches and the 70's ones are a completely different ball game. LED modules in the 70's were mass produced from many different companies because these were mainstream watches that were almost as popular as analog watches for a short period. Because they were mass produced, it was cheap to constantly write new IC schematics, and add new features.

When the first modern LED watches hit the market around '98/'99, from companies like Fossil and Atomic, they knew, as well as the company that made the modules, that these would be a niche item. It was probably decided not to use seconds to keep cost down when designing the IC. That very first IC is still used today and has been basically copied down from one module, to another. This is why most LED watches don't have seconds. It's not that we don't have the technology anymore and it's not a conspiracy. It's simple economics. So if someone approaches a company, say in China, about an LED watch, they are most likely going to be dealing with that older IC. If they want it upgraded to display seconds, it's going to require an IC rewrite and that's going to cost around $2000 to $4000. For the small percentage of people who could care less about seconds, like me (I've never use it on my 70's watches), it's just not worth it.

Setting time on LED watches without seconds is not hard, as long as they roll to ZERO as each minute is changed, which I believe they all do.

Jeff

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Jul 2006, 04:45

Hi everyone ,
Just thought I'd summerize the modules and other details that people have asked for:

Modules:
1) Omega/Pulsar/Hamilton P2/P3 module (most poular)
2) Synchronar - drop in replacement module
3) Bulova Drivers
And yes seconds display will be included ,they all had this as standard anyway on the origionals.
The standard display will be OLED, old display re-use in the light of a brighter new display not really a priority so relegated to custom one offs only.

A couple of thoughts, I think the availability of replacement modules will probably increase the value of empty cases and dead watches paradoxically, as there would be definite route to making them work again.

The availability of the green display option for models where a green origional was available, but is now very rare is yet another use for a replacement module.

Do we need to carry forwad the magnet time setting from the origional P2/P3? This could be incorperated in the two button version using only the buttons. I know that the later Auto set versions went down this route.

Power souce for P1/P2 and Bulovas will probably be AG1 or 386 silver cells, It may be possible to use a single 1025 lithium I will do some battery life calculations and tests on that one to see if its posible.
LED watches are cool!

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Jul 2006, 21:58

HI Dragonfly2,

If the pulsar/omega modules are not going to be set by magnet, how do you propose to set them with the two buttons :?: Will the left hand button still display day/date or be used for setting only

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post05 Jul 2006, 23:24

It is a bit of a problem having a setting button that protrudes,eh? Actually, I am wondering: why avoid magnetic reed switches? It's a delightfully stable, simple technology...essentially a hermetically sealed switch with a spring that keeps it in one position unless a magnet can pull it the other direction. Billions are in use in security systems and other consumer products. Much nicer ones than in the past are available today...for mere pennies each. Just some stray thoughts.... :wink:

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Jul 2006, 01:08

The reed switches for the two ''buttons'' would be retained but the two extra ''set'' reeds would not be needed as in the Auto set later versions.
The button setting and general use would be similar to the ''Auto Set'' version in the replacement module, so no external magnets needed to set the time.
LED watches are cool!

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post26 Jul 2006, 09:49

Hi all,

3 weeks without new input on this great project , I was wondering if dragonfly has decided on which direction he wants to go...
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Post26 Jul 2006, 14:05

Hi,
The direction is clear, I shall offer replacements for some of the generic Pulsar modules (limmited to the larger diameter modules) and I am considering the Synchronar module. This may come in one of two forms a replacement board or whole module this will be decided by the exact display finally used .
All other modules will be on a custom module P.O.A basis.
Currently examples of the origional modules are being assesed, and I am awaiting a smaller version of the OLED display than those used in my new forth comming watch range.
Regards
LED watches are cool!
Previous

Return to Modern Digitals