New Retro Models - segment display

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

New Retro Models - segment display

Post13 Sep 2006, 07:11

HI..this is Troy from the www.ledwatchstop.com . Throughout this last year we have had a blast building the LEDWatchSuperstore. Just two days ago we got back from Asia and I am still recovering form jetlag. Is it morning or is it night?

4 Years ago when we started On Tap Resources LTD.....we were selling the Eagle LED watch with retro display. Since that time....I have had a burning passion for LED watches. Our site represents modern, futuristic, retro and (a few) vintage LED timepieces.

We would like to move forward with production of retro segment LED watches. We have factory access to the same display module as used in the recent addidas models of bulova drivers replica and front display. In addition..we also have the same module used in fossil, eagle, tx4 etc. it is the genuine vintage segment display with advanced cmos and bubbles above the characters. We can produce both types of display in red, green, yellow, ..and in blue (although blue is more expensive).

Now the problem is....retro replica vs new design with retro flavor. I have seen some new designs with retro look and feel..but overall have been underwhelmed with the styles. They are not memorable like the hamiltons, pulsars, and my favourite.....the OMEGA (next favourite is Bulva big block). I like the modern retro TX4 on led-watch.com...but even that style was sold earlier by AAA watch club. Hmm..for our drivers module...I wonder if a Mido style case would be catchy.

I would love to hear the opinions of the forum members about what styles most appeal to them.

Contact us for business opportunities. We are considering joint venture with qualified distributors for some of our upcomming manufacture projects. email: sales@ledwatchstop.com

I look forward to the input.

Troy
www.ledwatchstop.com

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Re: New Retro Models - segment display

Post13 Sep 2006, 12:00

Try these older discussions. :)

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1273&highlight=adidas
http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1354&highlight=adidas
http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=762&highlight=adidas

That's just a small selection of the adidas topics (try a search - use adidas).

Try this one for "modern"

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1273&highlight=modern

Do not make a copy of whatever's out there if you want the DWF's general opinion. Seen it done it got the tee shirt. No base metals - SS or GP is good. A mido lookalike might be a definite in my opinion but I can only speak for myself - but tokyoflash have something similar already. We have odd gripes, the button positioning on the adidas drivers being but one . In fact buttons are a major issue - make them like the origional 70's small and discreet is almost the universal view here as the modern pimples are horrendous). Seconds are vital for some people. :?

I have bought one retro led off you and tbh I found it flimsy feeling compared to the 70's beasts, especially the strap. Something with more substance perhaps, weightier.

Synchronar theme would be popular but copyright issues may exist for any older models that you are "inspired" by. I like the idea of an Omega with a blue led but when I think of an Omega it's (White)Gold filled, not a base metal. Can you do one button on each side, not two on the right as seems to be the norm ?

We would be very interested in whatever new designs or suggestions you care to give us and you'll get sensible answers to any questions so don't hesitate to ask us, there is no other place in the entire web that'll get you such a collection of LED knowledgeable (and opinionated) people.
Best of luck with this project.

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

Post13 Sep 2006, 20:05

Thanks for the awesome thread Fitron Fiend. I have reviewed the suggestions and will apply as many as possible. We have been manufacturing for several years and have produced many projects (but mostly in new mini clock designs). Even if we make a retro replica it will have some changes to comply with any copyright issues and add a bit of our own personality. Of course we will seek any permissions necessary. If we make a new style...then it will definitely be different from everything that is currently out there. I am familiar with the TokyoFlash retrofit (drivers style). In fact..I met with the CEO of Tokyoflash last week in Asia..and the retrofit is one of the styles we agreed to release to the worldwide market (in October). We have an experienced design department...and they will allow for some influence from the dwf input. It is going to be a high quality style in medium price range with high end appeal. As for seconds display...as Jeff mentioned..the IC does not have provision..and costs for a new PCB mask etc. is very high. Again..it is the same issue with the button positions. I would literally have to make 10s of thousands of new modules to justify the initial development costs.

You mentioned that you bought a retro model from us before. Probably the one with dot matrix display. Yes..it is an affordable model with alloy case and a bit lighter on substance (but has a brilliant display). We produced this style because we had contant demand for an LED watch that was within the $ means of the average joe. We also have plenty of higher end timepieces with excellent substance and weight (all stainless steel). Have you seen our Hidden LED/ Analogue. It is awesome....even more substance than most of the 70s icons. Screw back, mineralite glass, All SS, 5 ATM, adjustable band, double deployment clasp..etc, etc. Also with high quality Japanese movement and clear engrave markings on back. We laboured over every detail of this watch to make it perfect. Our new projects with the genuine vintage display ..and the addidas type display are also going to be a labour of love and inspiration. I don't know about you guys..but sometimes when I go to sleep at night..I dream about LED watches. Am I crazy? :-)

Your input is much appreciated!

Troy
www.ledwatchstop.com

PS:.if we have to keep the buttons in the same position....what would you like to see done to improve them? Barrelled? Rounded? Bevelled, Shortened?

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post13 Sep 2006, 21:53

Any chance of mixing the new with the old? I like the modern drivers watches, but instead of cumbersome side mounted buttons, is there any chance at all of having a, more responsive, touch sensor panel on the flat top of the watch. coud tre same surface have a solar cell mounted to it; I guess that will just be too expensive to develop. I would also like the display to be recessed slightly, a-la Gerard Pergeaux, so its more readable in any light.

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

Post14 Sep 2006, 22:43

I like the idea of a Gerard type design and am fond of the recessed display..it is a great touch of style. These resessed designs were originally engineered thnis way to offer greater shading to the display so it would be daylight visible. However..with the new modules..they are readily visible day or night.

At this time...we will not be repositioning buttons or modifying the power source. To do so...we would have to develop a whole new module.

What do people like better? The genuine vintage type display used by megalaser?.....or the recent addidas type display? (I am kind of a purist and like the vintage style segment display...but the new style is quite attractive)

Troy

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Sep 2006, 00:14

Some more randomn thoughts.

Yep I bought the dot matrix and I'm glad you mentioned mineralite glass, a decent screen is a constant in discussions on this forum, nothing too scratchable. As for buttons, the shape is fine, they just stick out too damn far! It looks out of proportion imho, cut their length by half. The other thing about buttons is the setting button, that simply must be recessed. I cannot imagine that is a technical problem but more one of cost but god does it make the watch look built to a price.

A bulova bigblock - I love mine loads but I honestly don't see it as a major seller, they are not that popular on ebay but can you offer unusual finished surfaces like its bark effect or only plain/brushed effects.

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/mido.htm

These were recessed for a reason but nowadays in a modern version it's strictly a style and I really like it. So do the other members of this forum who outbid me on it!!!! :wink:

As for segment displays I have no real preference for old or new as long as blue or red are offered. A screw access to the battery compartment if possible so we don't need to flip the back off would be nice. What price range are you thinking of (don't answer that one if you don't feel ready too)?

Anyone else want to chuck in their tuppence worth? This is a real oppo to help a producer create what we want. If you don't input then you can't help influence what could be something exciting.

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

Post15 Sep 2006, 01:18

Yes...defintely shorten the button, screwcap, recess setting button, mineralite glass.

For finish....we want to offer in several classic finishes for the best choice. But....I don't think bark willl make the list. :roll:

Troy

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Sep 2006, 19:36

LEDWatchStop wrote:...For finish....we want to offer in several classic finishes for the best choice. But....I don't think bark willl make the list. :roll:

Troy

Sorry F.F., I agree with Troy about the bark finish. It's a great statement, but I think it's a little too distinct :(

Now having said that, this idea is probably far to radical too; is it possible to have anodised aluminium cases? It would be be durable, and have a great satin finish. They could be coloured to compliment, or contrast with the display colour. I wouldn't suggest a whole watch and bracelet, just a simple square shaped case, with leather strap. This Lip is a starting point, but I dont mean I want this style exactly.

I know. it's almost definately a non starter, but I guess my main desire for a new watch is for it not simply to tread the same ground as vintage watches, they are still availabe, I would like to see some modern styling, that wasn't possible back in the 70's. Tradition with a twist as Paul Smith might say.

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

Post15 Sep 2006, 20:14

Hi...Anodized (aircraft) aluminum is a novel suggestion. It is a good metal but it would be very light.....good for certain applications, but we are of the school of thought that although a watch should be comfortable it should have enough weight and presence to feel solid on your wrist. We have also never sourced cost for Aluminum...but I suspect it is more expensive than SS.

Why such a lack of responses? DWF has tons of members...and this post is getting lots of views. Please......toss in your two cents worth. We are making this watch for you!!

Troy

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Sep 2006, 21:32

I was more interested in the surface finishes and what was within possibilities and used the bark as an example but I was not being clear. I was just wondering what other finishes are available apart from polished and brushed, there are so so many options for this - I used techniques for this when making commissioned steel furniture but they aren't applicable to mass production by a long way but Troy may know what is possible in this dept.

As for Aluminium, it's a great metal to work/cast with and it's a thought, don't high end products often make a virtue of their compactness/lightness, conversly how about lead (led = lead geddit???? :roll: ).

Taking abacus' idea, how about something along this line.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/70s-Vintage-Novus ... dZViewItem

Instead of the gold use anodised aluminium, still a heavy watch but visually stunning in the colours.

A real problem I see is just what is a modern watch. Some of the designs are like bauhaus and just do not age - ever. I don't really want plain repros but how can you modernize that which is still looks cutting edge.
For example.
http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/novus15.htm

or a modernised wittaneur
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/ge ... ies_mobile
preferably normal watch sized, the strap is very nice too. Brown leather really suits some leds but is not often offered.
Too many people just remember flares and wing collars, the 70's design scene was way more advanced than that.

I suspect we'll get more responses over the weekend. I hope so.
Last edited by Fitron on 15 Sep 2006, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post15 Sep 2006, 21:49

I had stared the thread on "What I would like to see in a new LED Watch". My requirements have not changed.

Sorry, but you lost my interest when you stated you would not do seconds or add any other features to the module. To me you are just putting the sameo sameo module into a new case. Also it looks like "Button" redsign / reconfiguration is not possible to get rid of the pimply buttons???

I've read the $ cost excuses as to why we can't have a seconds display, but will not accept any new watch without it. Again. LED watches 35 + years old had this ability!!! I thought electonic design went forward not backward. An analogy, look at PC's, I spent $2000 2 years ago for what was then a state of the art laptop, the new one I just bought for $899 makes that one look like my first IBM PC Junior (remember them?). Watch module design / programming surely has to move forward also???

At the risk of reingiting WWIII, the new Time Computer has the ability to display seconds, has alarm features, touch sensor buttons, etc etc. Why would I buy a watch with a less features? Yes, I know many do not like its design and it costs more, but it does have the features I want so I'll just wait for it..

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

Post16 Sep 2006, 09:47

Well,..honestly...yes, that is exactly what we are going to do. Put the same type of modules in a new case. True...they are the same modules, but as you know..the source for these modules is highly guarded (genuine retro segment...and addidas style segment - sideview and flat). You could look for years and not find them.

As for technology..yes...it is exists but it is not implemented in the current industry standard IC (for these display types). Hopefully next go around.

Now..if you are looking for an extraordinary LED watch with running seconds and don't mind spending a bit more money then check out our "SHADOW". Hidden LED/ Analogue......SS, Screwback, mineralite glass, etc, etc. http://www.ledwatchstop.com/store/produ ... cts_id=132

Also..the inverta is interesting..but most would not be able to afford it and that would kind of defeat the purpose. Didn't you say that your new computer cost you $899? In a day and age where every PDA, Blackberry, Cell phone, MP3 Player etc. tells the time. A watch is not so much about time and function anymore as it is about style, quality and affordability.

So what does everybody like most? ....the vintage display used by megalaser?...or the Addidas type display?

TS
www.ledwatchstop.com

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Sep 2006, 10:56

I know i've raised this subject some time ago, so sorry to repeat myself, but I would like some company to bring this watch into production. I know when I contacted the designers before, they said they had received interest, and were considering actually making it (it's currently only a project prototype). That was 1-2 years back, and i've heard nothing new. Perhaps a you could get in touch with them Troy :)

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Sep 2006, 13:13

Abacus, thats one cool watch, 8) it beggars belief that it was designed in 1975, it looks so modern.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post16 Sep 2006, 15:35

Tor! Help!! The server seems to be hanging when I go to submit...getting "404" errors against the PHP file.
Last edited by retroleds on 16 Sep 2006, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post16 Sep 2006, 15:35

LEDWatchStop wrote:Now..if you are looking for an extraordinary LED watch with running seconds and don't mind spending a bit more money then check out our "SHADOW". Hidden LED/ Analogue......SS, Screwback, mineralite glass, etc, etc. http://www.ledwatchstop.com/store/produ ... cts_id=132

Also..the inverta is interesting..but most would not be able to afford it and that would kind of defeat the purpose. .... A watch is not so much about time and function anymore as it is about style, quality and affordability.

Troy: That Shadow is a fine looking piece, if I didn't have a number of various backlit's and LEDs I'd grab one now!

The Inverta: Personal preferences and aestetics aside, your comment seemed a little contradictory -if it's not about time and function, then it seems to me that style and quality simply go hand in hand with price. A Lexus costs more than a GM but looks & feels better, a Porshe makes the Lexus seem like crap...depends on what a person considers afforable. $500-600 for an Inverta is not really that expensive by today's standards...even many large department stores still are selling Movados and similar "common" bling watches for $1000-1500. And when Roger Reihl was selling SS Synchronars for $179.00 in 1979....in today's dollars that would be more expensive than the Inverta. PArt of what might make the Inverta a classic someday, will BE it's higher original price and hence, greater rarity.

I love what you guys are doing there - creating some great, very afforable watches to help rekindle interest in the intrigueing LED. 8)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

Post16 Sep 2006, 20:48

Well.....true..the more money you spend..the greater lattitude for luxury. Although..I am not sure I equate luxury with style. I also think quality and stlyle can be achieved within the boundaries of simplicity and budget. The challenge is to develop something iconic and classic within a certain price range.

Yes..I love porsche but next car I have my eye next on IS a GM! Not a super expensive car..but I am in love with the design elements and have to have one (even tho a 2 year waiting list). Have you seen the pontiac solstice?

Troy
www.ledwatchstop.com

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post17 Sep 2006, 02:58

Troy:

I would totally agree with you that money doesn't always buy good styling, good taste, good watches o(or good women). I was mainly underscoring that (maybe it's just in my head) - a large part of "perceived value", for collectible "non-essentials" is rarity combined with good to better styling. Obviously, all the rarity in the world won't help a poorly designed item. And conversly a very well designed item is often rendered passe by its accessibility(i.e.low price). A fine line indeed.

The GM Solstice - very nice looking car, nice features - sounds like it should just crank!!! Sol=sun, statice=to stand....ah, should GM only find a way to make a new "Stand"; maybe, like the Sun at the winter Solstice or summer Solstice, they need to change direction.. I was born in Pontiac, Michigan, homeplace of the Pontiac brand...my late father designed many transmission and other gear train parts for GM vehicles of the late 60' & 70's. Don't get me going about cars, they're in my BLOOD( a watch is just a little easier for me to sneek into the house without the wife going nuts)...here I wax sentimental about it for an online mag a few years backhttp://www.g21.net/amdream34.html Yes, I took the pictures too. 8)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Sep 2006, 21:13

To continue the car analogy related to "style" and "value" how about the Chrysler 300. It's unique, has a style of it's own (certainly in the European market) and is dirt cheap for what you get. People will only buy a led watch 'cos they like it and often people will want something different - which is one reason people wear a led nowadays anyway. Expensive is not necessarily going to get us what we want in a watch, good design is.

Having said all of that "Form follows function" is another design school of thought but that type of led already exists in buckets so I think going down that route is going to give us more of the same - much like in the 80's when cars all started to look the same thanks to wind tunnel tests giving the most efficent shape. It's no coincidence that some of the most exciting cars are actively retro or highly influenced by them. The best will not date eg the MINI, the new Mustang, the Camero prototype, PT cruiser :?: or the Plymouth Prowler. This goes back to abacus's suggestion retro but updated. Hope you can interpret this post and apply it to the design dept Troy.

I'll agree with you ed the wife is way more understanding about watches than cars - I loved my Triumph spitfire but it was a classic 70's british sports car - beautiful to look at ... and I'll quit whilst I'm ahead. Please, no watches like that- quality control is a must.

krippak

Post17 Sep 2006, 22:34

talking about cars.... I like to see the NEPRO XJS led reproduced
http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/nepro.htm

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post18 Sep 2006, 00:04

I agree the NEPRO XJS is a good candidate.
It's nice , unusual and rare and what could look more like a car than that?
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post18 Sep 2006, 03:13

Nice watch. Reminds me of the Pacer.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.
Next

Return to Modern Digitals