It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:56

Opinions on the Casio G-shock 8000 series?

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

redled

Techie

Techie

Opinions on the Casio G-shock 8000 series?

Post20 Feb 2007, 15:19

I like it. Much more interesting than most G-shocks, which I find most boring and ugly.

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

: Opinions on the Casio G-shock 8000 series?

Post19 Dec 2007, 21:26

I like the design. I think Casio is doing a great job of pushing forward with new developments in the digital horological realms in all aspects (appearance, functionality and technology) and I'm glad to see them doing it.

I'm particularly excited by the 8100 series. This is one of the few futuristic designs for a digital watch that I've seen in quite a while. There's a review of the watch along with a slew of photos of the all-black version at:

http://glennmoller.com/?p=120

That big aluminum button beneath the face is to illuminate the display. It's the perfect location and implementation for something that one would need to be able to find and use while fumbling with a watch in the darkness.

To me the white version of the 8100-1 looks like something from A Space Oddysey that should be worn with a space suit. Here's a watch that just screams "21st century".

It also comes in an ivory version:

LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Opinions on the Casio G-shock 8000 series?

Post20 Dec 2007, 00:30

Defintely a step into the right direction :-) (it was overdue after 20 years with the same "design").
The design is really futuristic, but a bit paradox:
Sqeeze a naturally rectangular display into a circle, and then sqeeze this circle into a rectangular watch face - result: 70% of display area wasted.
Kick the circle, make the digits twice as large, omit the writing, give it a steel case and bracelet, and I'll buy one - promised ;-)
The huge light button is a nice idea. It's the only button I need on a watch.

Recently, I've been tempted by a few new Casios, like the Futurist range Futurist LAQ, LA-2000, LA-2001, even the Poptone LDF (but the colours...).
Not too long and I'll buy my 2nd Casio (the 1st was in 1984 ;-)).

Return to Modern Digitals