Cyberpunk Modification

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

redled

Techie

Techie

Cyberpunk Modification

Post04 Apr 2007, 01:44

Some of you are probably familiar with Tokyoflash's Cyberpunk LED watch, it has a scrolling display with an array of 90 LED's. The same module is used in a couple of other brands, namely Zeontech's Zeon Matrix sold by Ledwatchstop, and the Ted Baker LED watch. It's actually a very nice module, ( though I think there should be a way to disable the scrolling) the 90 LED's give an attractive true red display with nice big numerals and good resolution. Of all the watches that use this module I think the Zeontech version is by far the nicest. One thing that bothered me about the Cyberpunk version was the mirrored finish of the crystal. IMO led watches with red displays should have a red crystal, so I decided to see if I could tweak the Cyberpunk more to my liking. I used a peice of red plexiglas. The pictures below show the modified watch next to the original mirror crystal. I think it's a significant improvement.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

re: Cyberpunk Modification

Post04 Apr 2007, 02:24

Much better,

On a different subject, how much for 2 plexiglass HP 01 crystals?

Or a tutorial on where to get the plexiglass and how to cut it, polish it and bevel the edges?

Cheers, Geoff

redled

Techie

Techie

Post04 Apr 2007, 03:03

Well, plexiglas is just a trade name for acrylic plastic, so it may not be what you want to use on your HP01. It's not very scratch-proof, but because of that it's also easy to polish. I have a plastics place here in NY that does custom laser cutting. All you have to do is give them a CAD file of the part and they'll make it, it's very cheap. These cystals (I got two of them in case I ruined one) cost me $3 each. I don't think they can reduce the thickness of the plastic using the laser, so you're limited to stock thicknesses (as far as I know) so that may or may not preclude the HP01 crystals. The place is called 'Canal Plastics' , they have a website if you want to contact them about making some crystals, but a better solution might be to get real mineral glass crystals made. There's a forum member here who I believe can make those, I don't remember his name right now but I think he's still around.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Apr 2007, 03:25

Thanks for the info. To tell you the truth, the idea of an armoured plexiglass (similar to the Speedmaster Pro line at Omega) appeals to me because it can be polished.

I have restored over a 150 watches in the last 15 years and the mineral glass is the most problematic of all, especially on vintage out of stock models.

Hewlett Packard I hope will get back to me with permission for a limited supply which, if they do, and I can co-ordinate with the other individual who seems to be independently working on this problem then we will have a good product in my view.

Otherwise I will try the plexiglass path locally and see what can be done.

Cheers, Geoff

Return to Modern Digitals