New Model LED

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

redled

Techie

Techie

New Model LED

Post27 May 2007, 22:49

Just picked this up on ebay. It looks like the Lip remakes, but there are differences. Any opinions?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

re: New Model LED

Post28 May 2007, 01:42

Always intrigue when they are made in Asia :lol: ....about two months ago a guy claiming to be from LIP offered to let me be their North American distributor(really weird offer), and the displays were dot, like yours. Then Majestyk and the "official" Lip website both had pictures of those, but they had a segment display. That dot display doesn't look too shabby,IMO. Seems even the people at Lip get ripped off by their manufacturing partners. :x
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post28 May 2007, 02:02

Tells us more about the watch. Does the display look like the one in the photos? (The dots look kind of crooked to me) Is it a wire bonded display or like the ones on the LIP's?

The company that is marketing the new LIP's doesn't have a style like this one. The case on the one on Ebay is different looking and looks more like the original LIP's then the LIP remakes. So either LIP supplied the manufacture with the original LIP watch, to help with the design; and consequently they ripped them off (as well as the original LIP designer), or some other company just decided to rip off the original LIP design.

I think the clincher, is going to be the module. If it's the same as the redesigned LIP's, then the factory who makes the watch for the new LIP company, more than likely stuck their hand in the cookie jar.

Jeff

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post28 May 2007, 02:11

....about two months ago a guy claiming to be from LIP offered to let me be their North American distributor(really weird offer), and the displays were dot, like yours.

You told me about that but I never knew the displays had dots. If it was some "rag-tag" company that approached you, how did you get the photos of the actual remake LIP watches, posted in the marketplace section?

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: re: New Model LED

Post28 May 2007, 03:08

Majestyk wrote:You told me about that but I never knew the displays had dots. If it was some "rag-tag" company that approached you, how did you get the photos of the actual remake LIP watches, posted in the marketplace section?Jeff

Nothing rag-tag about the company, just seemed weird that they would contact me, send me super hi-resolution shots of three different color watches and displays. I had pointed out the difference at the time, but it got lost in the threads. Imitation may be the most sincere form of flattery, but a knock-off of your design is not funny :( , as you know Jeff.

They also had a nice green display and another that looked purple-ish. :?
Last edited by retroleds on 28 May 2007, 03:18, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post28 May 2007, 03:09

Majestyk wrote:Tells us more about the watch. Does the display look like the one in the photos? (The dots look kind of crooked to me) Is it a wire bonded display or like the ones on the LIP's
Jeff

I haven't received the watch yet so I can't say anything more specific, except that the display looks a lot like the watches SpaceTime is selling on ebay for $39.99. I have a few of them; the displays are quite nice and really bright, but the LED's do tend to be mounted slightly out of alignment. Here's a picture of (I think) the original Lip, this watch, and the remake. You're right, this one looks more like the original than the remake. Strange.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post28 May 2007, 03:24

Nothing rag-tag about the company, just seemed weird that they would contact me, send me super hi-resolution shots of three different color watches and displays. I had pointed out the difference at the time, but it got lost in the threads...

So the people who contacted you were different than the people you got the photos from the "authorized" LIP manufacture? Do you have a photo of the purple display watch?

Thanks,

Jeff

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post28 May 2007, 03:25

I can't say anything more specific, except that the display looks a lot like the watches SpaceTime is selling on ebay for $39.99.

Yeah, I was stating that in another thread; it does look like it.

Jeff

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post28 May 2007, 12:25

redled wrote:I haven't received the watch yet so I can't say anything more specific, except that the display looks a lot like the watches SpaceTime is selling on ebay for $39.99. I have a few of them; the displays are quite nice and really bright, but the LED's do tend to be mounted slightly out of alignment. Here's a picture of (I think) the original Lip, this watch, and the remake. You're right, this one looks more like the original than the remake. Strange.
I also saw that one on ebay, but refrained from bidding because somehow it seemed "suspect" to me.
But IMHO the watch looks a better than the remake (I don't really like the remake's round-edged crystal). Could you post some photos as soon as you receive the watch?

redled

Techie

Techie

Post28 May 2007, 14:05

rewolf wrote:Could you post some photos as soon as you receive the watch?

Yes.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post31 May 2007, 21:40

I got the watch today. As expected, it's dot matrix, similar to SpaceTimes, but it's not the same module. It's a true wire-bond display, but there are the same alignment issues as with SpaceTimes. The numerals are slightly smaller than SpaceTimes, also, there are several differences in the operation of the module. The MW watch has a true recessed setting button, and it works remarkably similar to vintage LED's, with the only anomaly being a first press of the setting button will display the date. All following presses cycle through the settings, starting with hours then minutes, month, and day, with each flashing in turn. The main command button advances the digits and holding it down advances automatically at a convenient pace. As in SpaceTimes, the time separator serves as am/pm indicator, with the dot at the top for am and at the bottom for pm. Another difference from SpaceTimes is that all four digits are displayed at all times, with zero filling in for single digit hours and months. When I saw the picture of this on ebay I thought maybe this was a 24-hour watch, but it's not, it's 12 hour. The workmanship of the watch is good, except for the alignment issue mentioned above, and there was some epoxy residue around the crystal, which I believe is plastic, but that cleaned up nicely.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post31 May 2007, 22:31

WOW!! That is relly bright...despite the drunken numbers. Maybe these were early runs of the modules made for Lip, and Lip told the supplier to go with segments, since they weren't getting it right. If you post up a picture of the module, I'll pop open the Lip Reissue with segments I have here and we can compare. :wink:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: New Model LED

Post31 May 2007, 23:32

Thanks for the pics :)
The case is really nice, yes, but the "drunken" numbers put me off, and I had also hoped it was a 24h watch - the LEDs are there, so why not use them?
Again, money saved :wink:

redled

Techie

Techie

Post01 Jun 2007, 00:03

Geez! I don't think i'm getting this back on without a watch press, which I don't have. Anyone know a trick around that problem? Anyway, here's the module. The Q's are obviously the display drivers.I agree retroleds, the brightness of this type of display is a great feature. It's basically the same brightness as SpaceTimes, which makes it very easy to see even in the brightest sunlight. This is one area where these new watches are an improvement over the originals. Interestingly, the instructions say it takes two cr2032 batteries, but it actually uses just one.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post01 Jun 2007, 00:17

From the looks this should be a chinese module as they are used in many "ebay" modern day watches. Not the most reliable ones, but if you picked one without dead segments it could last a while with a bit of luck. :P

If you dont have a watchpress you can try using pliers with thick layer of cloth below the metal. be sure not to use it on plastic pars, display, buttons... The pliers may only contact the back and metal solid part of the case. Still watch press would be better...

redled

Techie

Techie

Re: : New Model LED

Post01 Jun 2007, 01:08

rewolf wrote:Thanks for the pics :)
The case is really nice, yes, but the "drunken" numbers put me off,

I agree, it's unfortunate they can't get these LED's mounted straight, but I still think it's a very attractive watch, and besides the alignment, the display is beautiful, and useful even in daylight.

BTW I got the back back on. I put it in the freezer for awhile and I was able to press it on while it was still cold.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post01 Jun 2007, 09:38

redled wrote:... Interestingly, the instructions say it takes two cr2032 batteries, but it actually uses just one.
The seller also told me it used 2 when I asked. Seems like he hasn't opened one yet. I was already wondering how 2 CR2032 can fit in this case - stacked would be too thick, and for side by side (like in the original "Pimp" watches) the case is too small....

redled

Techie

Techie

Post01 Jun 2007, 12:25

rewolf wrote: The seller also told me it used 2 when I asked. Seems like he hasn't opened one yet..

I don't blame him! In addition to being almost impossible to get back on without a watch press, the back is molded to look like a screw down, but it's actually press fit. If you don't look very carefully and notice the lip you're in for a very 'interesting' experience.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post01 Jun 2007, 18:02

redled wrote:... the back is molded to look like a screw down, but it's actually press fit...
:o Wow, fake screws, this is something really new to me (at least with watches)

redled

Techie

Techie

Post01 Jun 2007, 19:58

rewolf wrote:Wow, fake screws, this is something really new to me (at least with watches)

Not fake screws, a fake screw-down back:

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Jun 2007, 23:21

Just wondering. If this watch is a direct copy of the RT LIP then would a National Semiconductor module fit/work in it? It's not that I want to do it - I'm just wondering how close the case is to the original.

I reckon I would have given that back a few turns if I'd been trying to get it off :D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jun 2007, 03:17

Digi: No, a National Semi doesn't make a good fit, at least in the Lip Mach 2000 re-issue. When I reviewed it for www.thedigitalwatch.com, I noted it has a module that is 29.4mm(a National 29 just swims around in the thing), the distance in to the contacts is about a mm deeper than on a standard National and the case is not part of the circuit because the pushers are plastic. I had thought about making a big battery clip that would have some downward protrusions to:(a) hold the module in place; (b) have some tabs that would be pushed by the plastic p[ushers to make contact. A lot of work....I just couldn't get motivated. But maybe someone else will. 8)
Next

Return to Modern Digitals