New Model LED

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

LEDWatchStop

Geek

Geek

re: New Model LED

Post17 Jun 2007, 01:41

I know who makes this LED watch. Have dealt with the factory for quite some time. They actually sent me a sample. It looks pretty good except the LEDs are not on straight. I guess that is a result of china labour...but they promised me that if I purchased 1000+ units that the display would be straighter due to machine application.

Funny thing about the sample. It looks nice. Good thick acrylic crystal with a nice rich hue. LEDs are clean and uniform. But......the quartz mechanism failed almost immediately. There was frozen display that did not keep time and was only right twice a day!

http://www.ledwatchstop.com

635 nm.

Re: re: New Model LED

Post17 Jun 2007, 04:42

redled wrote:
rewolf wrote: The seller also told me it used 2 when I asked. Seems like he hasn't opened one yet..

I have come across several modern LED watches that use two lithium batteries hooked in parallel, that way the watch still runs on 3 volts but has twice the life of a single battery. Most pimp type watches that have displays with dozens of LEDs do this. It will work on one cell for several months.
Regards,
Richard

redled

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jun 2007, 16:13

LEDWatchStop wrote:I know who makes this LED watch. Have dealt with the factory for quite some time. They actually sent me a sample. It looks pretty good except the LEDs are not on straight. I guess that is a result of china labour...but they promised me that if I purchased 1000+ units that the display would be straighter due to machine application.

Funny thing about the sample. It looks nice. Good thick acrylic crystal with a nice rich hue. LEDs are clean and uniform. But......the quartz mechanism failed almost immediately. There was frozen display that did not keep time and was only right twice a day!

http://www.ledwatchstop.com

Thanks for the info, that's very interesting! The seller on ebay mentioned it's from a limited run of 250 units; I guess you don't get straight LED's with only 250 units! (lol). There's supposed to be a one year manufacturer's warranty so I guess if I have a problem like that with mine i'll be able to exchange it, although I don't know how that would work with such a limited supply - "unit defective, replaced with Batman LCD..." Seriously, I wonder if all four digits lighting up is a strategy to prevent over-voltage or over-current from reaching the timing circuit when the watch is activated. Did the sample you had light up all four digits all the time like this one?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jun 2007, 16:50

The seller on ebay mentioned it's from a limited run of 250 units

Oh I'm sure there will be more. :)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Jun 2007, 19:50

Cynicism Jeff? I wonder why :P

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jun 2007, 20:51

635 nm. wrote:
rewolf wrote: The seller also told me it used 2 when I asked. Seems like he hasn't opened one yet..

I have come across several modern LED watches that use two lithium batteries hooked in parallel, that way the watch still runs on 3 volts but has twice the life of a single battery. Most pimp type watches that have displays with dozens of LEDs do this. It will work on one cell for several months.
The Tokyoflash blue pimp (maybe others too) does have 2 CR2032 cells, yet not exactly parallel:
1 cell powers the timekeeping circuit, and the other powers the display, independently. You can remove one and the other part of the watch will still work (doesn't make much sense, though).
Timekeeping hardly sucks any current from its cell (7 microamps, IIRC), so when the display becomes dim after half a year or so, you can simply swap the cells - the remaining charge in the former display cell can still power the timekeeping circuit until the other cell is also drained by the display.
Of course, cell swapping works only once :wink:, but it still doubles battery life of pimp watches.
Alternatively, replace only the display's cell, the timekeeping cell should last about 3 years.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jun 2007, 07:40

Majestyk wrote:
The seller on ebay mentioned it's from a limited run of 250 units

Oh I'm sure there will be more. :)

LOL, well it seems like the guy's only putting one watch up for sale about every two weeks. At that rate it'll be ten years before he gets through the first 250!

635 nm.

Post22 Jun 2007, 03:21

rewolf wrote:
635 nm. wrote:

The Tokyoflash blue pimp (maybe others too) does have 2 CR2032 cells, yet not exactly parallel:
1 cell powers the timekeeping circuit, and the other powers the display, independently. You can remove one and the other part of the watch will still work (doesn't make much sense, though).
Timekeeping hardly sucks any current from its cell (7 microamps, IIRC), so when the display becomes dim after half a year or so, you can simply swap the cells - the remaining charge in the former display cell can still power the timekeeping circuit until the other cell is also drained by the display.

The Pimp style watches I was asked to fix, had some LEDs out did not show any manfacture on the module, and the cells were in parallel, one cell would run both the display and time keeping circuits. After spending almost an hour replacing the tiny surface mount LEDs I realized they were not original Tokyo Flash watches but clones, replicas, rip offs so I returned them with only one repaired. Plus the amber color of the new led was slightly different. I will not support "replica" items.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jun 2007, 17:18

635 nm. wrote:...I realized they were not original Tokyo Flash watches but clones, replicas, rip offs so I returned them with only one repaired. Plus the amber color of the new led was slightly different. I will not support "replica" items.
Interesting, so now we have not only replicas of Pulsars, LIPs, etc. but even of "modern" LED watches. The world is indeed spinning fast :wink:
Previous

Return to Modern Digitals