It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:04

Does anyone know of new LED's in the Pipeline???

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Does anyone know of new LED's in the Pipeline???

Post25 Jul 2007, 20:38

Does anyone know of anything new in the LED pipeline??? ( I do not count the Time Computer as that has been pending since at least Jan of 2006.)

Jeff / Majestyk promised us a 'new" LED watch last spring (2006). Last fall / winter he more than delivered (IMO) on his promise with a very nice good quality LED watch. (I have both the Red and Blue models).

No other "new" LED watch introduced since the "Majestyk" has captured my personal fancy since. Jeff's watch had / has a great bright LED display, nice buttons, seconds display, no pop off back, great design, etc etc. (This is not a commercial for Jeff - only my personal opinion.)

Does anyone know of a 'new", in the pipeline, LED watch that we should be looking forward to??

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Does anyone know of new LED's in the Pipeline???

Post27 Jul 2007, 00:05

yes , check out the new led from fossil watches.it uses the latest in led technology and blows the new time computer right out of the water

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2007, 00:40

Do you mean the Fossil OLED watch pictured here?
On youtube, there's a video. Very nice 8). But not available yet :cry:

collector

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 00:51

Not sure - is this the OLED you guys are referring to?

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/ ... ctID=39941

If it is, it looks like it can be ordered???

collector

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 01:11

Thanks Holly35! I did try to order it and Fossil accepted my order - we will see what happens!!!

FYI - I just my agree that this technology will blow the new Time computer away!!!

Will post my review when I receive the watch!

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 03:39

collector,

FYI - I just my agree that this technology will blow the new Time computer away!!!

Could you expand on that for us?
[Site admin. agrees...we would all like to know when someone has both of these in hand to compare] :o

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Does anyone know of new LED's in the Pipeline???

Post27 Jul 2007, 09:23

collector wrote:Not sure - is this the OLED you guys are referring to?
http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/ ... ctID=39941
If it is, it looks like it can be ordered???

:D Great! How did you get there? I scrolled through ALL men's "metal" watches and didn't find it. Only seach for model number JR9465 helped (after I knew it, thanks to your link :)) $105 is a bargain!
Anybody got some more info about it? Battery? Features? The only info on the Fossil site is that it's a steel case watch and "imported"...

collector

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 12:30

HDLED wrote: Could you expand on that for us?

I based my comment on that I am expecting this watch to display in multi-colors. I am hoping I'm right about this based on the screen displayed on Fossils site plus the Youtube video, the OLEDs display in multi color. The new Time Computer only has a one color display.

Plus it looks like it has a cool multi color time zone feature, which I personally would use a lot and it looks like it has a monthly color calendar display.

I might be wrong on what I am expecting but for $105 bucks with free shipping, I figure I don't have anything to loose. Hopefully I'll get the watch soon.

To Ed's point about comparing this watch and the Time Computer side by side; from all that I have read / followed, the Time Computer has been in development since at least Jan of 2006 and it still is not avaialble for sale. So, all I can report out on is the Fossil when I receive it.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 14:48

Visted the fossil website to check the status of my order - all the web site shows is "ordered".

Reason I checked this am is that I Googled " Fossil OLED" and found that this watch is generating a lot of very recent "buzz" and also left doubts about if it was released or not.

Checking other sites did confirm my thoughts on some of the watches features. Quote from one site:

Multicolor display, eye candy transitional animations, a calendar function and some sort of globe/map view make up only some of the features that the new Fossil watch prototype for men has.

Will see if the status of my order with Fossil changes soon. If indeed this is going to be "hot' I'd suggest folks that are interested get their orders in.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 15:27

Collector,

Your started this thread with: "Does anyone know of anything new in the LED pipeline???"

I watched the youtube demonstration, and this is very obviously not an LED display. When the time demand button was pressed, I saw a guy run across the screen, and then the time was displayed. The button was pressed again and I saw a karate guy throwing a flying side kick through the air, and then the next screen was displayed. Do you want an LED watch or a video toy?

You are correct, the video showed several different colors, but don't compare apples to oranges. The Inverta is a true LED watch. The Fossil watch appears to be some type of LCD display, but I can't say that with complete certainty because there is very little information available on the Fossil watch. Your earlier post said
Based on what? Can you provide us with a side by side comparison of the Fossil watch features to that of the Inverta?

So if I am to take your statement at face value, you believe that the technology of a watch costing $105 can blow away the technologoy of a watch costing $495? This whole technology line is fuzzy to me because I don't know where the technology starts and stops. When I went to the Inverta website I read: The Sapphire crystal we selected for the new Time Computer is the highest grade made on earth. Grown in Switzerland and made by one of the top optical companies in the world. That sounds like pretty high technology right there, and that's before we even mention any of the watches capabilities. I tend to think that the quality of your new vidoe toy won't quite measure up to that of the Inverta--it sounds like the sapphire crystal in the Iverta is worth more than the entire fossil watch--including free shipping.

While you are certainly free to believe whatever you wish, I don't know why people feel it necessary to make digs at other members at every opportunity. Maybe your mother never taught you that if you can't say anything nice, you are better off not saying anything at all.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 16:01

While you are certainly free to believe whatever you wish, I don't know why people feel it necessary to make digs at other members at every opportunity. Maybe your mother never taught you that if you can't say anything nice, you are better off not saying anything at all.

My statement about blowing away the new Time Computer was NOT meant to be a dig, just an opinion. Same as the one Holly expressed. Maybe I used the wrong word in "technology" maybe it should have been either "software" "features" or something else. I don't know.

In any case if you do read my posts from last year, I was the first to post about the new Time Computer and was a big fan / proponent of it.

Sorry if I came across wrong.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jul 2007, 16:12

Has anyone actually seen an Inverta yet?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post27 Jul 2007, 16:26

I HAVE seen an actual, completed Inverta. It is gorgeous when you see it in actual metal, not a computer drawing. We compared it in size to a Pulsar Date II - almost the same width and height, but thinner and sleek. It is not "Air ware", it is coming. Unlike the vst majority of modern LEDs and LCDs, it was designed internally and externally from the ground up - and is not financed by a huge company like Fossil. Be patient - it really will kick butt when it gets here. It is so very,very close.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 17:18

Collector,

You wrote
Sorry if I came across wrong.
Don't appologize to me.

That remark may not have seemed like any big deal to you when you wrote it, but I was thinking of Dennis, who has put literally thousands of hours of sweat and blood into that prodject, and how he must have felt when he read that remark.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jul 2007, 17:39

The fossil picture is lovely, the video killed it for me. I detest those stupid graphics on a watch. I'm not a Japanese teenager and if I want graphics I'll put Counter Strike on. Killed it stone dead unless they can be switched off. I look forward to Collectors review to see if they can.

The Inverta - Dennis - is it still $495 and can we have some shots of the options available......

collector

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2007, 18:05

My public appology to Dennis for the 'technology" comparison remark I made between the Fossil and the Time Computer. I indeed was not thinking of the quality and amount of work Dennis had / is is putting into the Time Computer. I got caught up in the fancy gee whizz stuff.

HDLED, thanks for grounding me!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jul 2007, 01:01

My guess is in a couple of years OLED will be the standard on almost all digital watches, and LCD will finally start to trickle out; much like what happened in the 70's with LCD vs LED. Every company will have one and it will not be a niche watch like "standard" LED's are today. To really speculate, it's possible sales of both vintage, and modern LED watches will sag when more and more OLED watches hit the market. Once they become the norm, vintage LED's will probably make a complete rebound. Modern LED watch sales could be more sluggish. Well, except for mine, of course. hehe.

Jeff

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jul 2007, 12:22

An OLED watch would be very nice I'd have one in a minute, my MP3 player has an OLED display which has a time function, its display is bright and sharp but like LED's its impossible to view outside in the sun.

For comparison here's a pic of my MP3 player next to a watch with the brightest LED display I could find...

Roll on the OLED's I say...

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jul 2007, 15:39

Majestyk wrote:My guess is in a couple of years OLED will be the standard on almost all digital watches, and LCD will finally start to trickle out; much like what happened in the 70's with LCD vs LED....Jeff

Jeff, I hate to be a kill-joy here, but I don't share your optimism.
The average watch user does not want to press a button to read time, and he also does not want to exchange or recharge batteries every week.
These are exactly the reasons why LEDs were displaced by LCDs.

OLEDs do look really nice, but they consume a lot of power. Efficiency is (still) less than for normal LEDs. I'd really like to know what kind of battery the Fossil OLED watch has.

Anything that emits light (=energy) needs an energy source. We won't see constantly-on LED (or any other light emitting technology) watches unless someone finds a battery with 20 times higher energy density than a Lithium cell (BTW: a CR2032 has 2160J/cm³. TNT has 7600J/cm³)

Why?
The red Majestyk watch as a modern example with decent LED efficiency consumes 30mA with an average number of LED segments on.
The best LEDs today have about 50% efficiency (i.e. 50% of the electrical power is emitted in form of light), but let's assume the Majestyk has only 10% (worse than a filament lamp).
So if we had LEDs with 100% efficiency (ten times more), only a tenth of the power would be needed to achieve the same brightness, i.e. 3mA instead of 30mA.
A CR2032 batttery has about 220mAh capacity -> empty after 220mhA / 3mA = 73hrs (3 days).

Conclusion: a constantly-on selft-lighting watch display is physically impossible (I'm sure someone would have said the same about aeroplanes or travelling to the moon 150 years ago :wink: )

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jul 2007, 18:45

Klippie wrote:An OLED watch would be very nice I'd have one in a minute, my MP3 player has an OLED display which has a time function, its display is bright and sharp but like LED's its impossible to view outside in the sun.

For comparison here's a pic of my MP3 player next to a watch with the brightest LED display I could find...

Roll on the OLED's I say...

I have an oled watch, the infamous MP4 player watch, just search ebay for "MP4 watch" if you want one. The high resolution (128x128) Oled screen doesnt only display time in a nice way, it also plays videos, mp3s and has some other neat functions. I remember there is also an oled watch that can connect to your cell phone via blue tooth, i forgot the manufacturer.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post28 Jul 2007, 18:58

Hi Fronz,
How do you like the MP4 watch? I was thinking of getting one. Is it any good as a watch, or as an audio/video player for that matter? I didn't buy it because I figured it would be a hassle to keeping it charged up.

-Steve

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jul 2007, 19:53

I checked out the Mp4 watch but its got far to many gizmos for my liking, thanks anyway. When a nice basic watch appears I’ll have one then.
Next

Return to Modern Digitals