Fossil OLED Watch

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Fossil OLED Watch

Post30 Jul 2007, 14:44

Figured I'd start a thread strictly about the new Fossil OLED watch.

Pictured here:

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=39941&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=39941

I did order it last week, but based on what I read on the internet, I was not sure if it was really available or not. This morning I received a shipped notice from Fossil. I figure I'll be getting it over the next couple of days. I'll post my review and pictures when I get it!!

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Fossil OLED Watch

Post30 Jul 2007, 15:10

any of the retailers anywhere willing to ship to uk?
nice watch but its a shame fossil have spoilt it with those naff graphics.why can they just include normal watch functions?
the time computer is nice but at $500 i think its too expensive and details were released too early.people are fed up waiting.i recon any one paying $500 will be gutted in 9 mths time when the price will crash .the technology has already been overtaken.

The Time Computer

Geek

Geek

Re: : Fossil OLED Watch

Post30 Jul 2007, 17:50

holly35 wrote:the time computer is nice but at $500 i think its too expensive and details were released too early.people are fed up waiting.i recon any one paying $500 will be gutted in 9 mths time when the price will crash .the technology has already been overtaken.

As these comments have spead to many other threads, I have replied to your concerns in the proper place, you'll find it here:

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2045

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jul 2007, 19:35

Just for completeness, it started here. Good idea to start a new thread.
Anxiously waiting for your review, collector. Perhaps all that animation stuff can be switched off.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Jul 2007, 21:57

I ordered the Stainless steel OLED version. Is that the same version you got collector?

From the youtube video, I see a menu that you can scroll down and select or de-select the animations. So you should be able to have a simple display of the time, the other menu which shows a graphic of the world is used for world time conversions.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post31 Jul 2007, 01:16

Almighty,

Yep - the metal one is the one I ordered also. It should be interesting to compare notes once you get yours!!!

Hope some instructions are included with the watch??

Collector

redled

Techie

Techie

Post31 Jul 2007, 01:31

I wonder if you can select different colors for the display, or even different fonts. It seems a waste of the OLED not to be able to.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Jul 2007, 14:15

Customization would be one of my concerns. I am thinking of buying one, but will hold off until someone will review theirs here.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post02 Aug 2007, 15:48

Received the watch in yesterday afternoons mail.

Quick review for now: (As an aside, the included instruction book DOES NOT include any directions for this watch. I basically figured it out myself, but was so pissed at the wrong book that I called Fossil customer service. I will not go into that experience, just say the person did not know Fossil released an OLED watch. Said read the book, said I did, instructions not there. Rep then said go to a jeweler and let them explain / figure it out. You can guess my reaction to that!! I really pushed about why no instruction book, to make a very long story short the Fossil person eventually sent me a PDF file and instructions were included. If anyone needs a copy, PM me)

Red Led Wrote:
I wonder if you can select different colors for the display, or even different fonts. It seems a waste of the OLED not to be able to

No you cannot select different colors or fonts. The calendar display is hardly readable. There are two different buttons which display the time one without animation and one with. The with button causes some of the time digits to disappear, depends on which animation mode you select. To get to the caledar you first need to cycle through the animation character set. Really stupid!!

Rewolf wrote:
Perhaps all that animation stuff can be switched off.

No, you cannot turn off the animation, I must say it really is annoying, plus in some modes you loose time display digits.

The stainless steel band will fit a large wrist and apperars to be well made.

In daylight, you CANNOT read the digits outside. Inside the time display is very readable.

No seconds capability.

Very limited ability to select cities, once you select one, the watch stays in that time zone. You CANNOT display dual time zones at the same time.

If I say it once, I'll say in over and over - the animation is really STUPID!!!

I'll post more details and pictures later today or tommrow as I have limited time today. 'Just wanted to give my first thoughts.[/quote]

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Aug 2007, 15:57

Not a good first impression then................. :roll:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post02 Aug 2007, 19:13

Looks like good hardware, but bad software :-(
Any information about battery life? Is it rechargeable?

collector

Techie

Techie

Post02 Aug 2007, 19:44

Rewolf wrote;

Any information about battery life? Is it rechargeable?

The three VERY LIMITED instruction pages do not even list the type of battery used. The instructions do say there is a "Low Battery" icon which will appear when the batteries are "running low". From what I can tell, there is no ability to recharge the battery.

Speaking of the battery, the caseback is of the "pry off" variety. I absolutely hate this, why it could not be screw on, screw down, etc is beyond me, another negative from my point of view. When I get a chance I'll take off the back and report on type of battery plus what I think of module construction.

I had previously mentioned the Calendar display, as being poor. Another reason I dislike it is that once you get to it it only displays for three seconds, with no ability to "keep it displayed". By the time you "zone" in on todays date, the calendar is off. No time to absorb / study the calendar for a date your interested it. i.e. what day of the week is the 25th etc etc.

FYI, there is also, no mention anywhere that I can find as to what the crystal is made of. No reference in the instructions, back of watch, or online.

I had purchased previous Fossil LED's as curiousities and ended up re-selling each and every one on eBay. With this one, I can return it to Fossil, and am thinking about doing so.

Can you tell I am disenchanted?? I was looking forward to the OLED technology, but, yes, the software implementation leaves much to be desired. Others might eventually disagree but that is my opinion.

When I bought this watch, it was with the thought of using it as a 'daily" LED wearer" . I'll stick with my Junghans Mega 1000.

Also can't wait till Almighty Tallest receives his watch and posts his opinion!!

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post02 Aug 2007, 20:16

That's a shame about the oled watch Collector and the customer service just made it worse, I hope you gave them the wrath.

Have you thought about returning it.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post02 Aug 2007, 20:34

Klippe Wrote:

Have you thought about returning it.

Yes, I can return it to Fossil and am thinking about doing so. I'll give it a few more days before making a final decision. One of the reasons I am entertaining keeping it, is its possible 'collectability" as I believe its Fossils' first OLED watch and the first OLED by any manfacturer. I checked the, Seiko, Citizen, Casio, Bulova, Fossil, etc etc sites and did not find any other OLED's up for sale by them. Maybe some other forum member knows about some other manfacturer coming out with one??? (I don't count the MP4 ones you see on eBay as a true OLED watch by a name manafacturer - you get the picture.)

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Aug 2007, 21:42

Thanks for that review. I am now not going to buy that watch. Maybe after another version or software update.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Aug 2007, 21:48

Thanks for that review. I am now not going to buy that watch. Maybe after another version or software update.

Seconded

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Aug 2007, 21:55

To make a long review short......

basically everything that Collector said :cry:

The display is far more dim than I had hoped for an OLED after seeing sunlight readible OLED's. I can get around the animations and select the specific one to use for when you push the bottom right button in. Pushing in the bottom left hand button gives you the time without an animation.

I also recieved the wrong instruction booklet in the metal tin the watch came in. Collector can you send me the pdf copy you got of the manual?

Don't know if I'll keep mine either, I planned to wear it daily also, but my Wittnauer Polara has a brighter display in direct sunlight... no kidding!!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Fossil OLED Watch

Post02 Aug 2007, 21:58

I don't think the Fossil will become a collectible item. It's actually nothing special.
collector wrote:Maybe some other forum member knows about some other manfacturer coming out with one??? (I don't count the MP4 ones you see on eBay as a true OLED watch by a name manafacturer - you get the picture.)
Ok, no MP3/4, but does Bluetooth count?
Seiko(!) CPC TR-006 Bluetooth watch
Citizen(!) VIRT Bluetooth Wristwatch
SonyEricsson MBW-100 Bluetooth Watch
The OLED Linux Watch doesn't count, it's only a prototype.
The o.d.m. DD101 is not OLED, but EL (made by Pelikon)

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post02 Aug 2007, 22:31

Aren't all of those bluetooth watches prototypes? surely they'll never actually release that Seiko watch, it would be easier to just add a strap to your mobile phone, I've seen phones that are smaller than that watch :-D

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post03 Aug 2007, 00:54

The Seiko monster was a prototype. BTW here's a demonstration video.
The other 2 are/were actually available; recently there was even an update of the Citizen. At least that's what I read... never seen one.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post03 Aug 2007, 15:56

Really do not want to belabor the negative on this watch but, after having the watch for two days I totally agree with

Almighty Tallest who wrote:

The display is far more dim than I had hoped for an OLED after seeing sunlight readible OLED's

The display is not only very poor to unreadable outside, but leaves much to be desired indoors as well.

What I really want is an OLED watch with a very sharp and bright color COLOR capable display. The color display is a total must. Extra's like Bluetooth, animation, etc are totally not required. Why can't some manfacturer really come up with something great.

Jeff / Majestyk another opportunity for you??? After all, you developed the nicest modern LED to date!!!!!!!

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post03 Aug 2007, 16:24

Maybe Seiko will come up with something good :?:
Next

Return to Modern Digitals