It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:19

Recent Junghans talk - Start of new forum area :)

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Recent Junghans talk - Start of new forum area :)

Post20 Aug 2007, 09:39

[where this thread started 8-)]
rewolf wrote:It's not yet Friday, but I'll be offline tomorrow, wearing this one:
Junghans Mega 1, the first radio-controlled wristwatch. This is the 26/0014 variant with shiny bluish black IP coating 8-)
I remember when it came out in 1990 I found it very interesting, but ugly and too expensive. Today I love it and the price I paid for the ones I have was only 20 to 50% of the original price :-) Sometimes it's worth to wait...

LEDluvr wrote:Interesting Junghans rewolf - I've never seen that model before.
(I know you're off line today but...) I just noticed there are no pusher buttons. Obviously you don't need to set a radio-controlled watch.
Just wondering how you use the light or EL ?

There are 3 recessed buttons on the left side, not visible on the photo. one for "Sync", the other to increment resp. decrement hours (time zone adjustment). There is no light.

LEDluvr wrote:Here is what I'm wearing today - the oldest LCD in my collection, the Seiko 0624-5009! :-)
This is a very nice one. I've been trying to get one in perfect condition for 2 years without success...

About the 2 earlier Seikos digibloke mentioned: I'd love to have one of these (esp. the very first one), but I haven't ever seen one for sale :-( (maybe better so, I bet they'd be rather expensive...)

collector

Techie

Techie

: Friday 17th

Post20 Aug 2007, 17:41

Hi Rewolf,

Love the Mega 1, if it would sync in the USA I would definetely try to find one.

As an aside, what is the case made of? Plastic, Metal, something else.

Also, how does it sync - any problems finding the DWF77 transmitter??

Thanks!!!

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post20 Aug 2007, 19:11

Rewolf wrote:
This is a very nice one. I've been trying to get one in perfect condition for 2 years without success...

About the 2 earlier Seikos digibloke mentioned: I'd love to have one of these (esp. the very first one), but I haven't ever seen one for sale (maybe better so, I bet they'd be rather expensive...)

No doubt about that rewolf. Any one of these in mint condition would go for a hefty sum. Unless, somehow, you were lucky enough to find one in a 2nd hand store or garage sale and the seller was clueless. I bought mine in a small e-bay lot of Seiko's. The seller said "haven't tested, no batteries" - as you know that usually means they know it doesn't work. I thought I'd use the band anyway, but I put in a battery just to be sure and - whala! It worked! :-D

And Seikoric, I remember seeing your Seiko 064 in a pic you posted on pocket's website. You have a great collection. 8-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post20 Aug 2007, 19:32

@collector:
The reception qualities are outstanding. I didn't succeed in making it NOT receive (it works even in a metal can!). This is probably due to its large antenna which is integrated in the longer part of the strap (see image below). The antenna has a core made of several thin sheets of amorphous metal. The antenna coil is wound around the core at the narrow part in the middle. All this is covered with heat shrink tube. The capacitor required to complete the resonant circuit is under the black epoxy blob.
The antenna in the strap is a bit vulnerable, but still today you can get new straps for about 35EUR. They're mounted to the case with 2 screws.
On interest, I can provide detailed photos of a disassembled antenna (I have one at home that I cut out of a worn-out strap).
About the case material: It's base metal with 5 different coatings.
The cheapest and least durable was the one on the photo above (matt chrome, model 26/0010, flat crystal). Plus:
- polished "titan look" PVD coating (26/0011, curved crystal)
- matt "titan look" PVD (26/0012, flat crystal),
- matt black PVD (26/0013, curved crystal IIRC),
- polished black PVD (26/0014, curved crystal).
Junghans advertised the coatings as "anti allergic".
They came with 4 different straps.
I'm still looking for a mint 26/0011 with original strap for a reasonable price ;-)
Last edited by rewolf on 20 Aug 2007, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Modern Digitals