It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:11

Seeking advice before purchase of Junghans MEGA 1000

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Brit

Seeking advice before purchase of Junghans MEGA 1000

Post22 Jan 2008, 16:35

Hi there from a newbie to this Forum.

I am on the verge of placing an order for a Junghans MEGA 1000.

Before I finally "take the plunge" some views (excuse the pun) on the display options. I am taken with the light numeral display on the dark background - the negative effect - but am worried about the potential for lack of contrast as opposed to the dark numbers on the light background. Has anyone any experience on these two variations with this watch?

The other point is, I am a little concerned about is the trouble some of you seem to be having with synchronisation - or lack of it. I am assured by the retailer that this was a problem with some of the earlier versions of the MEGA 1000, but that the problem has now been resolved! Is there anyone with experience of a "newer" model MEGA 1000 who can advise.

Any response to my queries above would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

David
DJP

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Seeking advice before purchase of Junghans MEGA 1000

Post22 Jan 2008, 18:54

Hi Brit, welcome to the forum :-)

There are people in the UK who have problems with the Mega 1000, see http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1230&start=48.
For more information (than you need ;-)) you can read the Mega 1000 related threads in this froum section http://dwf.nu/viewforum.php?f=28.

Display contrast: the positive display has MUCH better contrast than the negative under poor lighting conditions. But the Mega 1000 is one of the best I know amongst negative displays, plus it has a very nice backlight and you will have more opportunity to use it with the negative display ;-)
See also http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2149&highlight=mega+1000+contrast.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Jan 2008, 20:45

Whatever happened to collector? He seemed to have a lot of knowledge about this watch (wasn't it his daily yearer?) but he's all but vanished for a few months now?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Seeking advice before purchase of Junghans MEGA 1000

Post23 Jan 2008, 11:27

Fitron wrote:Whatever happened to collector? He seemed to have a lot of knowledge about this watch (wasn't it his daily yearer?) but he's all but vanished for a few months now?
True - last posting was 09/2007. Hopefully nothing serious - maybe he simply lost interest.

Brit

Post23 Jan 2008, 12:31

Rewolf, many thanks for the very useful response. I will plough through the past threads and see what I can learn.

Still not decided on face type, but still drawn to the "negative display", especially if it has a good backlighting facility.

David
DJP

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jan 2008, 15:07

Of the new version, I also preferred the negative LCD (026/4512.44) - but only until I had them both in my wrist to compare: now I'd buy the positive (026/4513.44)all stainless version; on most photos of this watch you can't see that the bezel around the LCD is actually mirrored, this looks very nice in reality.
But I have a Mega 1000 (026/4502.44) already and don't want to start a collection on this watch (yet ;-)).

lars

Post31 Jan 2008, 04:26

I certainly can't discourage you from buying the watch. I wear mine daily and enjoy it indeed. You can look up some of my past threads regarding synchronization. What I can't do is give you a UK perspective as I have not been there with the watch on my wrist. My "M" version does work quite well here in the eastern US though.

Regarding the display, mine is the "reversed" type with dark background. While I like the way it looks, I do find that the contrast is limited under many lighting conditions. One result is that I have blown the battery pretty fast using the backlight. No big deal really - the battery is cheap and easy to replace on your own.

In retrospect, what would I do if I were to repeat the purchase? I'm thinking that I would buy the conventional "black numbers on light background" display. While the "reversed" looks great in full sunlight, on a day in day out basis, the conventional would be more useful. This was not so apparent in the stores when I looked at both together. It turns out that jewelry stores have strong and well positioned lighting. That's just not true in a home and office environment.

Let us know how it turns out for you and enjoy the watch.
Paul

Farjer

Post13 Feb 2008, 13:09

I have the "M" version white numbers on black background MEGA 1000 and I love it.

I had some problems with close-proximity wi-fi router interference during synchronisation (London, UK) but can easily avoid that now I know what's going on.

I'm now looking for a battery replacement in West London... any ideas?

(I got around 18 months battery life, but used the light a lot...)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post13 Feb 2008, 15:11

Battery type is 3V Lithium CR1620, easy to get anywhere where batteries are sold.

Farjer

Post13 Feb 2008, 15:20

brilliant thanks rewolf, i've read your tips on how to replace, so will be back in business tomorrow i hope. the black screen is freaking me out (yes I still wear it with a dead battery)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Seeking advice before purchase of Junghans MEGA 1000

Post13 Feb 2008, 17:12

Farjer wrote:.... the black screen is freaking me out (yes I still wear it with a dead battery)
8-) 8-) Now that's what I call loving your watch ;-). Next time better get a new battery as soon as the battery symbol flashes for the first time when you turn the backlight on, so you're prepared when it happens. I always keep an assortment of batteries in a plastic box in the fridge for that reason :-)

Farjer

Post15 Feb 2008, 13:29

thanks rewolf - battery change was easy peasy. it did show WWV-B for a day (perhaps because it synced during the RF noisy evening), but now it's back to DCF-77 (without any change in the time). I'll report back to the other thread if I get any more transmitter-related strangeness.

Return to Modern Digitals