It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:57

New LED's in the marketplace -- doing it right this time?

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

xevious

Geek

Geek

New LED's in the marketplace -- doing it right this time?

Post05 Feb 2008, 23:59

I have to admit that there were two things which annoyed me about LED watches when they first came out: 1) It is a two-handed operation, which can be very inconvenient at times, and 2) they sucked dry TWO batteries at once in just a year.

The LED seems to be making a bit of a comeback, despite the superior efficiency of LCD and the advent of E-ink (paper-like LCD). Now Diesel is on the bandwagon, targeting mainstream watch consumers. Their new model DZ7080 is quite cool looking. I like the style. And it uses more efficient OLED technology, so the battery life must be better. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any specifications about it--lumens, battery life, etc.

However, the 2-handed issue remains. I'm curious as to why Diesel didn't try something innovative. At first I thought something like a mercury switch would be useful. When the watch is raised into a viewing position range and held still for a second, it would auto-activate for just 2 seconds. If you manually press the button it would stay on for 5 seconds. Or, rather than auto-activation in a certain position, do it by motion--if you turn your wrist outward and quickly flip it inwards, the LED will light up (not a usual motion that would keep accidentally turning on the LED).

Then someone could come up with a "wrist flick" dance craze and get the whole world flicking for time. :lol:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: New LED's in the marketplace -- doing it right this time?

Post06 Feb 2008, 10:58

Forum search is your friend ;-)
This thread covers the DZ7080: http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2368

xevious

Geek

Geek

Post06 Feb 2008, 20:30

I cited the DZ7080 as an example, but I should have addressed the two issues in a more generalize way--they apply to any LED watch (battery efficiency and possible on-handed activation). Thanks for the forum link to the DZ7080, I'll have to check it out.

aladdin_sane

Geek

Geek

Post14 Mar 2008, 14:12

OK I got to say, isn't part of owning an LED, having to push the button to get the time? It's the button pushing that's the magical part don't you think? :roll:

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Mar 2008, 17:03

I very much doubt you'd be allowed to have any kind of mercury in a watch (or anything) nowadays, certainly here in Yurrup.

Return to Modern Digitals