• Author

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Next E-Ink Watch ?

Post10 May 2011, 15:35

http://youtu.be/ckCG2LN2-sc

http://www.igorchak.com/industrial/

Looks great, if its ever made it would be interesting to see what else you will be able to do with the a USB Port........Firmware Updates, Programing the watch Settings :?: On the site it says you can charge the watch via the USB and Transfer new Skins. Will be available in Stainless Steel and have a Sapphire Glass. I like what I see.

Its interesting to see where E-Ink will be in a few years time :-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Next E-Ink Watch ?

Post10 May 2011, 16:22

Sorry, I'm in reality check mode today.....
I liked what I saw also, but I fear it may be totally vapor-ware. :-( Everything on his site is strictly computer renderings of his three(4?) proposed items. If he had worked out how to get the module he wants made, the case and band would be nothing. The reality is, you are not going to get the Chinese to make you a truly individualized module that doesn't fit into THEIR current plans and production, for less than $100k. Minimum. The case and band could quickly eat up another $30-50k in design, molds, prototyping, mistakes and then actual production. The only individual in recent history who has came anywhere close to that is Dennis Klien - from some work I was doing for him in better times(interaction-ally), I believe his Inverta is not vapor-ware, the prototypes have been made. I'm sure the reasons are many, but in this economy I can understand him shelving a very expensive personal project like that. Been there, done that - sometime life(and death) simply interrupt what you are/were doing.

:-| I wonder if Igor has sold any of the gaming couches($5k). He needs to make and photograph one of those couches in the flesh.... I'm thinking that unless he is using strictly 3rd world labor and the lightest of materials(possibly insufficient for the intended use of people excitedly, wriggling around while playing an intense game), I think he has seriously under-priced the one-at-a-time couch. :roll:

I do welcome the e-Ink watches - it would be really nice to program a watch face that is personalized. A self-contained module like the guy above suggests would be great - then I could make a case I feel fits my personality and material preferances. I would like to make a nice wood case, out of something with fantastic grain...the possibilities. 8-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Next E-Ink Watch ?

Post10 May 2011, 17:04

This smells like vaporware.

(1) all computer renderings
(2) mixed up display tech
They say that it's e-ink then say that it has an EL backlight. As far as I know, e-ink is opaque and doesn't work with any sort of backlight. No, you can't have it all, you have to choose - optimal daylight visibility or the flexibility of a backlit transflective LCD.
(3) no specs
If this were even close to real, there would be some specs on things like screen resolution etc.

-abe.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Next E-Ink Watch ?

Post10 May 2011, 18:22

abem wrote:They say that it's e-ink then say that it has an EL backlight. As far as I know, e-ink is opaque and doesn't work with any sort of backlight. No, you can't have it all, you have to choose - optimal daylight visibility or the flexibility of a backlit transflective LCD.

Indeed no backlight possible, so that is bs.
You cán still have it all when using fiberoptics instead of simply one or more LEDs to light the display.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Next E-Ink Watch ?

Post10 May 2011, 19:21

abem wrote:They say that it's e-ink then say that it has an EL backlight. As far as I know, e-ink is opaque and doesn't work with any sort of backlight. No, you can't have it all, you have to choose - optimal daylight visibility or the flexibility of a backlit transflective LCD.

Indeed no backlight possible, so that is bs.
You cán still have it all when using fiberoptics instead of simply one or more LEDs to light the display.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Return to Modern Digitals