My SEIKO EPD

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

My SEIKO EPD

Post15 May 2011, 10:15

I decided to buy a Seiko EPD E-Ink Watch to add to my small collection of Watches, my third Quartz Watch in my collection. I got it a few days ago and very happy with my purchace. I can't say its my favorite as I like all three equally.

I must say its the Display and the New Technology that attracted me to this Watch. The Sapphire Glass, Large Size were also important in my decision. I wanted to have one of each (LED-LCD-EPD) Now I can select from my LED HP-01, LCD Ventura V-Tec Delta and now from this new technology my SEIKO EPD. Can't wait to see what other E-Ink Watches will be available in Future, its exciting :-)

Some have said if it was priced lower they would buy it and that's fair enough with any item on one's wish list. I too thought mainly if the quality will be high and now that it's on my wrist I can say the quality is very high and similar to a Swiss Made Watch which makes the price right for this type of Watch.

The fact that its Different and Unusual ads to the Appeal.

My SEIKO E-Ink EPD

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: My SEIKO EPD

Post15 May 2011, 13:25

Congratulations.

planetlcd wrote: now that it's on my wrist I can say the quality is very high and similar to a Swiss Made Watch which makes the price right for this type of Watch.

:idea:

Now wear the crap out of it. I have been bumping it around for half a year now and it is rúgged.

You will perhaps find the ´power save´ a bit overly conservative but mine has become more light sensitive and jumps to attention with markedly less light.

It is also só accurate that it beats my pc with the on line atom clock as a reference. Mine is just over half a second/month fast and reliably synched so never even 0.02 sec. off whereas my pc is very good at paying attention to other things but the time keeping job on hand...
I set my other watches to it by pushing the crown/pusher of those upon the fading of the seconds on the minute.

Have you tried the alarm yet :?:
It is sóóó sweet. It chimes as pure as a Credor sonnerie :!:
´Design oder nicht sein´

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

: My SEIKO EPD

Post15 May 2011, 14:24

Can someone post a sound file of the alarm? if it were not ~1K USD, I would consider getting one.

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post15 May 2011, 15:13

Huertecilla, I know what you mean about the "Power Save" , under a long sleeve or in low light it goes to 'Power Save" in under one hour. I have noticed it needs more light than what I would have preferred for it to wake up But a push of any button brings it back to life just like an LED watch :mrgreen: I wasn't too interested in the Radiowave, I knew it would be accurate enough without it. But I would have used it if it was usable here in Southern Australia.

ronaldheld, I have no idea how to upload a sound file of the alarm but can tell you it sounds great and its loud enough to hear even in a room with lots of background noise . In a quiet room its not too loud as to annoy anyone. I think they did a great job with the alarm sound and volume, its just right.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : My SEIKO EPD

Post15 May 2011, 15:25

planetlcd wrote:Huertecilla, I know what you mean about the "Power Save" , under a long sleeve or in low light it goes to 'Power Save" in under one hour. I have noticed it needs more light than what I would have preferred for it to wake up

I cannot explain it technically why it would become more sensitive, but mine will now resume duty under a minimal reading light in a furthermore unlit room.
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post15 May 2011, 15:36

Huertecilla wrote:
planetlcd wrote:Huertecilla, I know what you mean about the "Power Save" , under a long sleeve or in low light it goes to 'Power Save" in under one hour. I have noticed it needs more light than what I would have preferred for it to wake up

I cannot explain it technically why it would become more sensitive, but mine will now resume duty under a minimal reading light in a furthermore unlit room.

I've only had the Watch for a few days and hope mine becomes more sensitive to light as well :-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 May 2011, 15:41

´Design oder nicht sein´

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 May 2011, 15:59

planetlcd wrote:I've only had the Watch for a few days and hope mine becomes more sensitive to light as well :-)

I do not know how/when; I just noticed it after 3 months. Sitting with a book as usual. expecting to need to push for time, it already flashed it at me.

A cool feature that is not appearant at first is that it willl momentarily switch to the alternate display contrast about once every hour.
This way it prevents ghost imaging.
It has a ´mind´ of its own.

Combined with the human response time speed ;-) interactive screens, the power save/resume, the autosync, the way it changes the numbers and being solar charged it is like the thing is organic rather than electronic.

The unhurried ´tíngtong-tíngtong´ fits in too. The customary electric ´beebeebeep-beebeebeep´ would jar.
´Design oder nicht sein´

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post16 May 2011, 09:07

Huertecilla wrote:
planetlcd wrote:A cool feature that is not appearant at first is that it willl momentarily switch to the alternate display contrast about once every hour.
This way it prevents ghost imaging.
Even every 10 minutes according to the manual IIRC.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 May 2011, 09:45

rewolf wrote:Even every 10 minutes according to the manual IIRC.

I stand corrected.

There is also reputed to be sómething about with the king:

´This time I have not seen the picture cards "King" his tongue out occasionally. ちょっとした「遊び心」といえましょう。 The little "playful" and Iemashou. ぜひ、「舌を出したキング」を発見して下さい。 By all means, "King issued a tongue" Please find.´

but I have not yet caught it.

I díd find the why of ´06 dec´.
On 6 dec 1896 D T Suzuki found the awakening at Engakuji temple, in Kamakura. An ´awakening´ :idea: in Zen and Shin buddhism.
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post16 May 2011, 15:43

Every 10 Min is Correct :-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 May 2011, 18:24

planetlcd wrote:

Every 10 Min is Correct :-)

Have yoú caught the King yet?

The source is the same guy who made the véry extensive explanatory sales page:

http://translate.google.es/translate?hl ... V%3D101206

The keen observer will notice that the 06 Dec. release date was very important.
The seller already took fotos on the 16th, 19th and 20th of... november.
This matches with the Oktober 2010 serial numbers.
That is not JiT but VMiT ;-)
´Design oder nicht sein´

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post17 May 2011, 09:39

Huertecilla wrote:Have yoú caught the King yet?

No King :?: , actually I switched it to the Cards Display the other day and think its kind of cool but wont use that style much. I prefer the negative/positive display, both black and white look excellent.. As for style 2 & 4 I would never use, dumb decision to add that style, it looks really bad with the shadow of the numbers, not very clear.

Another display that looks great is the world time display with the city you are in. They should have added this screen as part of the 5 Style Displays instead of Style 2 & 4. 4 displays would have been plenty.

I will check the time in 1 month to see how accurate it is without using the Radiowave. Not available here in Australia :evil:

I'm enjoying this watch more and more every day :mrgreen:

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post20 Jun 2011, 01:29

After 1 month this watch has only gained 3 seconds (not using radio wave) I'm happy with that :-D

I have been wearing this watch 2-3 times during weeknights only as I wear other watches on weekends and during work hrs. I must say people comment on the display saying it looks fake (in a good way) saying its not normal having such a crisp display on a watch. Overall very happy with the watch but doesn't get much wrist time.

We watch collectors need to be an octopus to get to wear many watches at the same time :mrgreen:

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jun 2011, 09:03

planetlcd wrote:After 1 month this watch has only gained 3 seconds (not using radio wave) I'm happy with that :-D

That is almost COSC and on par with a Rolex Oysterquartz so :lol:

I must say people comment on the display saying it looks fake (in a good way) saying its not normal having such a crisp display on a watch.

In other words; ´unreal crisp´ 8-)

Thanks for the update.

Over here summer has arrived with véry high temperatures. I have tried to overheat the thing while on the wrist.
First under the midday the sun on the table to set a base. Then ditto, on the wrist.
On the table it went to the fault screen within five minutes.
With the arm in the sun, watch in reverse (black) mode at right angle with the sun. It does NOT go into fault mode. After 20 minutes I did :oops: but the module not.
Appearantly the cooling of the caseback by the skin/blood keeps the watch temp. sufficiently down.
´Design oder nicht sein´

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: My SEIKO EPD

Post29 Jan 2012, 11:35

One slight draw back with the Seiko in the UK (for example) is its inability to change from summer time to winter time automatically. You have to either "engage" or" dis-engage " the DST manually (i think :?: ) ON in the summer,OFF during the winter months.The Junghans however ,because of its german transmitter does this without any manual changes.
Please correct me if i am wrong,perhaps anyone can add to the Seiko adjusment?

Return to Modern Digitals