Seiko EPD one year on.

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko EPD one year on.

Post28 Dec 2011, 14:01

06 dec 2010 Seiko released the SDGA00x EPD with the serial O0xxxx.

Dec 2011, the second batch with serial 11xxx is selling for ¥75,000.00 at the likes of Seiya/Higuchi. About 15% up from a year ago.

A second model has been released too in the Spirit model line; the SBPA00x which sells from about 45.000 yen.

Although a lot lower priced than the SDGA it has to be remembered that thát one is from the Brightz model line up which is quite a step up in finish/manufacture.
On a bracelet the Spirit SBPA sells at 50.000 yen agian form the same seller so as to stick with compairable prices), which is getting rather close to the 2010 price for the Brightz SDGA.

So; one year on the EPD is going strong and not quite cheaper.

Mý SDGA one year on has had a rough life. It has been overheated, deep frozen, boiled and dropped on stone (several times) apart from being worn daily on the farm.
It has uite a bit of sabi; the proof of a functional life with honour but to my HUGE :shock: the oversized sapphire is as pristine as a year ago.
Also surprising is that no mud, sand, dust or manure has affected the action of the buttons and with help of the Citizen wave receiver it syncs reliably at over 2500 kilometers from the radio station.

Although it is still not my favourite watch (nor in second or ever third place) I do appreciate it a lót as my by fár preferred no worries on time daily beater:

It is rúgged, legible and last but not least important is that it is always ready to go, spot on time.
´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Seiko EPD one year on.

Post29 Dec 2011, 02:35

Wow Huerticilla,
it looks like the case and band on your Seiko EPD have seen better days. Still, as you said, the crystal is as clear as... well - crystal. :lol:
Congrats on finishing year 1 with no problems. 8-)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

: Seiko EPD one year on.

Post29 Dec 2011, 15:07

the question is..what do you think they have to do to make this one better so it would go in your top 5 watches!

love it but for me it's to chunky..i have small wrists.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Seiko EPD one year on.

Post29 Dec 2011, 15:51

kasper wrote:the question is..what do you think they have to do to make this one better so it would go in your top 5 watches!

It ís my favorite daily wearer and already round and about #4 or 5 on the líke ladder. It may overall very well be #1 if appreciation could be quantified which it cannot.

For líke other criteria apply.
I very much like solid 18k, temp. compensated quartz and handicraft per example. Furthermore heritage and several associations.

I very much like my 18k 9F Grand Seiko on the one extreme of my preferences and a special ´58 Molnija pocket watch with with micro ajusted chronometer calilber on the other.

I cannot see what Seiko could change in the SDGA to make it ´compete´ with either of these two. That involves intangible subjective appreciation, association and taste; the Ventura RX is no wáy near as good a performer as a time keeper and WAY down the daily wear list but I líke it a lot; ahead of the SDGA.

My opinion about the SDGA after a year of daily use is that:
1. it is a high end alternative to a G-shock
2. it is the first real follow up on the Synchronar; imo LCD just in a non starter because of wáy inferior legibility/display quality.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Seiko EPD one year on.

Post24 Jan 2012, 23:07

I really like the look of these, especially in black.

People seem to be keeping hold of them though, as I haven't seen a used one come up on Ebay.
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jan 2012, 11:27

Quite interesting that ePaper, it really looks like you got a piece of paper behind the crystal. I would say, it almost looks fake :-D . If I am not mistaken it doesn't have a built-in stopwatch and you can't set the display to show seconds, is that right? I do a lot of timing, so a watch without those features is for me not very practical.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Feb 2012, 20:50

A 2ndhand one finally came up on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330682758612? ... 744wt_1185

Someone snapped it up at the BIN price of £400.
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post06 Feb 2012, 22:50

i saw one last week//a brand new, second hand go for 350 euro.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Feb 2012, 23:15

http://www.ablogtoread.com/seiko-active ... -in-style/

can anyone explain the seiko with square buttons on this epd watch... i know it's an old blog story but i never saw this watch in real. Is it real??
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post29 Feb 2012, 23:26

Could it be a prototype?

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Feb 2012, 23:47

It could be a prototype...

This was the first prototype i beleive.

Seiko's "Future Now"
was exhibited in Switzerland at the BASELWORLD 2005 fair.
It did not only display the current time but also a constantly-altering mosaic pattern,
and was supposed to be launched in Japan within FY2005.

However i think the square button version is a later "cheaper" prototype/alternative.
It eventually ended up with round buttons, i have not seen any square button versions for sale.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Mar 2012, 16:58

cobra007 wrote:Quite interesting that ePaper, it really looks like you got a piece of paper behind the crystal. I would say, it almost looks fake :-D . If I am not mistaken it doesn't have a built-in stopwatch and you can't set the display to show seconds, is that right? I do a lot of timing, so a watch without those features is for me not very practical.

See the review I did.

It is a world timer, not a chrongraph.
´Design oder nicht sein´

Return to Modern Digitals