Braun BN 10

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Braun BN 10

Post25 Feb 2012, 17:43

The new Ventura based BN 10 has been released,however they are out of stock at Braun with stock arriving in April.
Has anyone purchased any of the versions yet? If so can you list some real shots as opposed to stock images.
It does look fantastic,worth it for the display alone. I just cant make up my mind on which version i like most.Your findings would also be most welcome. :-D

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Braun BN10 - BN0106

Post26 Feb 2012, 16:36

Braun product pages BN0106 black and silver. Instruction manual is here.
Some rather good photos are here.
A quite realistic photo is here. It's the only one where you can see the thin black line sperating the segments - on all other photos these have apparently been removed.

Couldn't find any non-stock photos. I bet it's not out of stock, it just hasn't been in stock yet. Had been hyped on all media channels "last chance to win a BN10 if you become fan of our facebook site" :roll: in Aug/Sept 2011, I wonder if anyone has actually has a BN10, maybe someone with a facebook account could contact Laurids Wiemer (winner) and ask him whether he already has the watch.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Braun BN 10

Post26 Feb 2012, 17:35

Oh, its been in stock, only their allocation sold out quickly,its available on couple of sites online at the moment.I will be listing a full review soon.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Mar 2012, 20:21

Latest delivery date is now april/may. :roll:

Curt

Post21 Apr 2012, 16:32

Hi guys, thought I'd post a few pictures of my Braun BN10 for you. I've had it for a little while now and before I ordered mine I tried to find some real pictures online but had no luck.

I'm really impressed with this watch! They did a great job on the build quality. Feels like a little machine rather than a watch. The pictures show mine with the rubber strap which I picked up separately being that I originally ordered it with the stainless band. This was one of those watches that takes on a different personality depending on which band you choose. With the stainless band it weighs about the same as an Omega Seamaster although I haven't weighed the two of them to do a true comparison, I expect that the BN10 is just a little lighter.

I probably should note that the pictures do not do the display justice. In my pictures the display looks like it is two different colors. It's really a nice even color. I would say that it looks closer to what you see at the top of the upper digits and the bottom of the lower digits. I think my little point and shoot camera has some kind of polarization issue. With your eyes, the display is a very even. In low light the display is pretty impressive when compare to some other watches that I've seen and in bright sunlight the digits jump right out and at some angles it almost looks 3D.

I really like the power saver feature on this watch. Two minutes after the watch has not moved, the display blanks out which is supposed to save battery power. There are a bunch of settings as far as how you would like the display's layout to read. I like having the 12 hour time on the top with the day of the week and day number on the bottom. If you press in on the scroll wheel one time, the display switches to hours, minutes and seconds. I've never been too much of a timer, alarm or stopwatch user although this watch covers all of them.

The closeup picture of the display makes the watch look huge on my wrist! My wrists are kind of small but it actually looks quite normal in person. That picture makes it looks like you can't see any of the rubber strap when it's on my wrist. It really doesn't look like that in person. It's very much to proportion. I know people are very skeptical about this type of display (including myself) so I wanted to be sure that I showed it as close as possible. The digits look a little sharper with your eyes that they do in the extreme closeup. I think our eyes are a little more forgiving than a digital camera.

Like I had mentioned on another forum, the day that I received this watch I was on my way to lunch. I set the watch, put it on my wrist and when I walked into the restaurant and sat down and the first thing that the person that waited on me said was, "I really like your watch".

I'll admit that I'm an Apple computer user and when I originally bought this I really hadn't put two and two together that this looks very similar to an iMac. I use a laptop and not an iMac so my reason for buying this was not the similar design to the Apple iMac but probably the similar minimalist/futuristic look. I'm really interested to see if the next time I wear this into the Apple store if anyone has a comment.

I really have tired to think if I have any cons to offer about the BN10. So far, none that I can think of. I will say that the backlight is not blindingly bright but when you are in a situation where you really need the backlight, it does the job. My guess is that is if they made the backlight so bright that you could see it in daylight then that would be overkill and would cause much more drain on the battery than would be necessary. Not sure if that's what they had in mind but I would think that would only make sense.

Enjoy!

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post25 Apr 2012, 15:23

welcome from us moderators.

thanks for the pictures..indeed she is looking nice. :-D
I wonder how the soundchime for alarm is sounding?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

jonathanmann1966

Post03 May 2012, 13:21

Well can I say that I have just taken delivery of my new Braun BN0106 in black with metal strap. This has to be the coolest watch i have ever owned. It just looks great. Cool but understated.

The watch feels as though it has been machine tooled to a very high standard, So, although I agree it is not cheap, I do not feel short-changed. My recommendation is - if you can get one do. Its going to be an instant classic.

Regards,

JM

jonathanmann1966

Post03 May 2012, 13:24

I should add that its got a really funky alarm.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post03 May 2012, 15:30

Welcome Jonathan to this forum from us moderators.

A few nice pictures of yours with the metal strap is always welcome.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

jonathanmann1966

Post03 May 2012, 15:58

I am trying to upload some pics for you, but the site keeps telling me that they are too big!

herbalt

Post12 Jun 2012, 20:49

I purchased and took home one of these myself today. I live in New York City and had contacted Braun to see where I could try on/purchase one in the area. I had called all the stores that carry Braun products and none of them had even heard of the BN10 Prestige models, so I figured I'd go right to the source.

I got a response shortly from the Braun distributor in Connecticut. I was told that the watches aren't in distribution yet for the US, but she had a few production models in store and she would be happy to send one to one of their retailers in NYC for me to see in person. So eventually I went to the store she sent it to, checked it out for a minute or so and bought it then and there.

It's a really nice watch. I'll offer some specific thoughts about it in a moment, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma with keeping it. I had been ogling Ventura's digitals for a few weeks, having not long ago discovered them. You know, reading every post on the forums I can find and going over photos with that classic WIS obsession when you find a new niche to explore.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a Ventura about a week ago. I like so many of the models, but leaned toward the Alpha and Delta V-tecs because I felt the designs suited me most. I like the original Alpha a little better than the new model (new model has bigger case, different shape toward the bottom "lugs", different size crystal and different LCD configuration with EasySkroll 2.0). The original seems a little more refined and "adult" to me than the newer, bigger cased model. That might be because it's still a digital, 40+mm digitals are practically the whole of the digital market.

The Delta is a bit more 'classic digital' in look, feeling like a vintage Seiko. So I ordered that. So far, I love it. I'll have to do a separate review on it...

But now I have both models and I can't keep them both. I bought the Braun because I thought it was awesome, and since I got the Delta from Amazon I still have some time to return it if it doesn't suit me (I'm not wearing it out, BTW). I figured the BN10–being a new model and hardly widely available–I'd be able to sell relatively easy on eBay or the watch forums.

Not sure what to do though. The BN10 is half the price of the Delta, and comes close to matching it in build quality. It's not quite there. The bracelet is pretty much a Ventura bracelet without the Durinox coating, and the case and scroller seem very close as well. Still, the lines of the Braun are much easier to achieve using standard machining processes (it's pretty much a thick rectangle with a tapered bottom and a flat glass crystal). When I examine the Delta, it's a subtle play of sloping surfaces matched with perfect, softened bevels. The sapphire crystal is actually concave also, matching the undulations of the dial. It's really well done, and no wonder why Ventura is one of the most expensive, quality digitals made.

The BN10 has a sparer, "designer" look to it. It's clean and industrial and very modern. I like it, but I don't think I like it better than the Delta. However, it IS about $700 less expensive than the Delta, and when i look at it that way, it's a total bargain.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I didn't really expect to pay so much for my next watch, but it looks like I have already. My main watch has been my grail Rolex Sub, but i don't want to wear it every day. This digital choice will be my mostly daily driver, at least for now.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post12 Jun 2012, 21:05

welcome Herbalt to the forum from us moderators, we hope you enjoy your stay with us. :-D

you said it all
It's really well done, and no wonder why Ventura is one of the most expensive, quality digitals made.
..quality my friend.

- Kasper -

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Jun 2012, 13:18

I would keep the Ventura.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post13 Jun 2012, 14:02

Yes ,keep the ventura.I have the sigma,delta,kappa and a fourth on the way.They are all very special. :-D 8-)

Return to Modern Digitals