It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:58

Puma PD115 arrives

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

dennisthai

Puma PD115 arrives

Post04 May 2012, 12:22

It finally arrived! First impression, it's a big, heavy watch with a very clear LCD readout. Initially, because of the weight, I thought it was going to be a solid link bracelet, but unfortunately not. It certainly gives the impression of solid links until you look at them in profile. The model # is stamped on the back, PD115, but a quick Google search only shows up the same watch on a leather strap, discontinued. Here's a few quick pics. Impressions please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Puma PD115 arrives

Post04 May 2012, 22:41

i like the case...but don't like the digits...looks cheap.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Dch48

Post05 May 2012, 00:41

I like it and don't think it looks cheap at all. It looks better than any of their current offerings in my opinion.I see a mode button. What other modes does it have?

dennisthai

Post05 May 2012, 02:08

Dch48 wrote:I like it and don't think it looks cheap at all. It looks better than any of their current offerings in my opinion.I see a mode button. What other modes does it have?

Thanks. The mode button has date/month and alarm/chime and stopwatch functions.
Last edited by dennisthai on 05 May 2012, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.

dennisthai

Post05 May 2012, 02:18

kasper wrote:i like the case...but don't like the digits...looks cheap.

Digits look the same as on most Casio watches to me. As long as they are easily read, that's the important part. BTW, how do you make the digits look "expensive"?

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post05 May 2012, 13:15

There try to make the digits as big as possible so even a blind man can read it...but now the digits are stretched in height. All those cheap chinese modules have the same problem.

some other examples how it should be.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5196 the braun n10 as a new watch
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=5365 seven old seiko's
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5361 vintage led.

also look at the quality of the background..the way they make the background plate. thx to Abe for his incredible pictures
http://www.timetrafficker.com/watches/l ... index.html

or this one

and a few excemples form my collection

i like this one but i did not bought it for the raison i said above.
the pxr7 is the 3the generation but not good

this is the same watch but a previous generation...and yes..that is much better

i also like this watch but i did not buy it cause the dotmatrix resolution is way to low for these days...they did it better in 1981 (see seiko with d031 module)

these are a few of my criteria's i use when i want to buy a watch...but as you all know..Beauty Lies In The Eyes Of Beholder...so you could have other criteria. :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

dennisthai

Post05 May 2012, 15:50

I see what you mean about the digits, but what sort of price (on average) are the watches you pictured? Mine cost $50, I bet most of those are at least several times that price. Personally I prefer the look of mine to any you have pictured, digits withstanding. To me the cases look cheap on most of the watches you pictured.

Dch48

Post06 May 2012, 05:24

Personally, I never liked the dot matrix type displays. They all look "cheap" to me and I hate to say it but the red LED's do too.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 May 2012, 14:27

Dch48 wrote:Personally, I never liked the dot matrix type displays. They all look "cheap" to me and I hate to say it but the red LED's do too.

Other than novelty value I just don't get LED's. It seems less than convenient to press a button to read the time, not to mention battery drain.

We are all different, what appeals to one doesn't always appeal to the other, there are lots of collectors of LED's so they are appreciate if not by all at least by some.

I don't believe the vintage watch as a time piece is the main reason why they are desirable, they are more of a window to memories of a past time, after all who needs a watch nowadays when we all carry mobile phones, iPhones, PDA's etc.

Nice catch with the Puma, looks a good solid watch and it has to snip at the price. :-D

Dch48

Post06 May 2012, 23:32

Well, I may be the only one, but, I have never even used a cell phone let alone own one and I've never had a PDA or tablet either. When I am out of the house, I either wear one of my wristwatches or carry one of my pocket watches.

I will have to say though, that $50 is actually high for a digital when you can get a nice Casio with "Atomic" time for right at $30 on Amazon. For what appears to be a discontinued rare model though, it might not be bad at all.

dennisthai

Post07 May 2012, 03:27

Dch48 wrote:Well, I may be the only one, but, I have never even used a cell phone let alone own one and I've never had a PDA or tablet either. When I am out of the house, I either wear one of my wristwatches or carry one of my pocket watches.

I will have to say though, that $50 is actually high for a digital when you can get a nice Casio with "Atomic" time for right at $30 on Amazon. For what appears to be a discontinued rare model though, it might not be bad at all.

Three things. The Casio with atomic time would probably be in a resin case with a plastic strap, which I hate, and atomic time would not do me the least bit of good in Thailand, and thirdly, I bought the watch because I loved the look of it. So you can't make price comparisms, it's apples and oranges. I have owned a Casio Waveceptor before, it actually had a s/s case and bracelet, but it felt flimsy and cheap. I don't know what the Puma cost originally as they are discontinued, but I bet it was more than $30.
Last edited by dennisthai on 07 May 2012, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

Brendan

Nerd

Nerd

Post07 May 2012, 04:07

Dch48 wrote:Well, I may be the only one, but, I have never even used a cell phone let alone own one and I've never had a PDA or tablet either.

+1 :mrgreen:
They can leave a message on my answering machine ...
It's funny because people with cell phones are always asking me the time. ;*

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post07 May 2012, 04:32

Return to Modern Digitals