Handmade Led Watch

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Handmade Led Watch

Post19 Jul 2012, 00:57

Stumbled across this cool watch, thought I would share...
http://pichaus.com/-led-diy-steampunk-@ ... 1b331e9ef/
And
http://tubetime.us/?p=69
Now I want to make one! 8-)
Anyone want to join in on a "watch build" competition? (anything goes, as long as it keeps time) You could just stuff a working new, or vintage module into a new handmade case ...LCD, or LED module.
I'll come up with a prize for the winner if more than 5 people want to join in (most likely a watch of some sorts).

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Handmade Led Watch

Post19 Jul 2012, 08:59

Nice idea however I don´t know how he would like to put that board with the 16F628A in a watch unless he doesn´t want to wear a big battery pack around his right wrist. Lovely Fairchild displays btw.

I built a 230V clock which is actually hanging in my staircase with exactly the same 16F628 about 6 years ago. The prototype of this clock is working with TTL chips, mainly 7417 decade counters and 7400 NAND gates. The LEDs are sitting in translucent bars and balls. A friend of mine from Köln always tells the time when he visits me. So he shows me that he is intelligent enough to read it (not that easy) and that he has been remembering how it works.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jul 2012, 09:18

the problem these days is that we have to many hobbies :-D

a few months ago someone just snatch the clock out of an old Volvo and did the same. Search the board for it.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jul 2012, 22:08

Is lcd also good, I have a few ideas as usually ;-) but how much time do we have to built something?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Jul 2012, 22:26

Pretty much what I was thinking, you could use whatever as a module...You just design what it is going in (wristwatch, pocket-watch, pendant-watch)
I am designing my own watch (case) to compete. I figure we could give a deadline (yet to be determined based of number of entrants), and we will unveil all at once in a new thread with voters poll.
Just an idea for fun, and since most have created from scratch their own modules, it could get to be an interesting competition.
For those who have created unveiled creations already as far as finished product, We would ask that they at least create something new with it so its considered a brand new entry.
Let have some fun ;-)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jul 2012, 14:05

Yes and it don't matter what you make, as long as it tells time digitally and you can wear it around your wrist :-D.
There are points to win for
- beauty
- originality
- funniest
- professionalism

Something like that... What do you think?
Time till the end of this year?

- Kasper -

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Jul 2012, 14:35

I like that idea. In the end it only matters how many people would like to participate.

If there are too less members, why don´t keep it a bit more simple so that more forum members can join us: Show us you best watch design which would fit an existing digital display type from e-ink to OLED to LCD and LED.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jul 2012, 15:34

I don't have the skills to make a LED watch module nor a case from scratch. But after reading this thread, a styling idea for a LED watch popped in my mind, obviously if the module is small enough to fit such a case: what about to make a LED watch with a case inspired by the Hamilton-Electro/Data watch prototype? IMHO, that prototype had a fairly nice shape, too bad it didn't go into production, but the styling of the case was quite modern and would still look good today. Obviously if the module can fit in such a case.

Or maybe, a case inspired by this beautiful custom Pulsar made by Andrew Grima:

These are my two cents, as I've said I don't have the technical skills to be part of this project. But I hope that these ideas could give some inspiration. :-)
Image Image

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jul 2012, 17:21

Based on the watch I first posted about (check out the links provided), it shows that watch simply has a case created from what some would consider scrap parts (cut leather strips for watchband, wood bezel)...This sparked the idea to stuff a working module of sorts into a created case (not some professional designed case, but that of which could simply be considered as timepiece when finished.
I figured most of us have , or can obtain a module of sorts, so let the build-off begin!
Not looking for production models. Looking for a fun created purposeful watch that may not survive everyday wear based off design, but has the feel of your own creation...not a copied favorite design of an existing model.
End of the year unveiling sounds great...gives us all plenty of time to create ;-)
Keep our ideas, and thoughts to self so no one has the upper hand. When your watch is finished, submit your entry before New Years, and on New Years Eve...We will have a poll up that will run for 24hr...Then we have a winner :-D
Any Ideas to add, subtract to my thoughts are always welcome, nothings set in stone...Just glad theres some interest.
LETS HAVE SOME FUN

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jul 2012, 21:02

Sounds like a good Idea, I'm having a brainstorm right now, get ready for a fierce competition, I'm on it.

Return to Modern Digitals