It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:34

Omega Z33 LED Watch

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

kernelok

Omega Z33 LED Watch

Post09 Aug 2012, 23:21

Hi All
Congratulations for this dedicated forum, I have just discovered.

Do you know the new omega z33 which was launched this year, a fantastic renewal of led watches according to me
I am looking for information about this watch and, above all, its led technology, precision (spy), quartz architecture ...

If you are interested to discuss and share,please do
Please find bellow information I have found:

http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories ... sheets.pdf

Hope you will help to know better this watch

Regards
K

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Omega Z33 LED Watch

Post10 Aug 2012, 10:26

Hi Kernelok,

welcome to the forum from us moderators :-D We hope you enjoy your stay here and post a lot of nice fab pictures of naked woman...oops ~:( ..i mean nice watches :-D

i've seen that picture before somewhere but haven't heard anything more...we have to dig a little bit to find more information...some of our members must know more...stay tumed!
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Aug 2012, 12:20

Huge watch, needing a training course to operate :roll: retails at $5500.Not sure what to make of it,it looks to have a very thick case although it quite light in weight.Its a bit over complicated for me but will i am sure find a few buyers.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Aug 2012, 16:09

The watches are available now in some Omega boutique stores.

LED

Geek

Geek

Post11 Aug 2012, 01:45

How exciting - another analogue watch with backlit LCD display :roll:
I wish Omega would provide some good quality spare parts at affordable prices for us 70s collectors instead... ;-)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post11 Aug 2012, 03:59

The price on this is just totally over the top. I mean, I just bought a nice P1 Pulsar for just $500 more! Like the Rolex (or almost any of the highest-end watches), this is for somebody who doesn't know the value of money, or is too rich to care. Either way, this impresses me as a pointless exercise...

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Aug 2012, 05:30

a version of this watch was/is used by nasa in the space program. it, however, is an lcd display. peter

kernelok

Post11 Aug 2012, 10:14

I have tried it
Extremely light, very well finished, very clear and comfortable red LED and nice classical functions (timer, chrono, alarm,...) and a little bit thick.

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/produ ... master-z33

But what about inside technology and LED display, this is the question ....?
Caliber 5666 inside seems to have 3 quartz inside and its size seems to explain size of the watch.

Omega officials talks about LED on LCD display, what does it mean exactly ? It is certainly not 70s LED but it looks like very much the same and is not at all like cheap LCD with red light bellow. If some of you can explain this techno... Is it new? I have not see recent red LED watch like this.

About precision, yearly deviation in spy, I wonder where to get this info. If some of you have access to omega engineers... It would be great....

Price is huge as one of you mentioned but maybe inside quality components and engineering explain part of it (the other part is of course explained by the brand and the case quality (titanium 5))

Many thanks
K

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Sep 2012, 22:40

It looks like LEDs are the source of backlight for a negative LCD display?
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Sep 2012, 07:42

Tried it on and had a long talk with the Omega store manager in Vancouver. Wore my original flight master for a comparison.

The original is thinner and much heavier. The width and length were the same.

The z33 is spectacular and sits well on a large wrist. The buttons pushed with a definite physical 'click' reminiscent of the origins star stop pushers.

As a pilot I love the UTC, Timezone 1 and Timezone 2 display. The day of the year (numeric) was also nice as it is a direct link to the TMI code for international North Atlantic track clearance message. The TMI is required in your read back to ATC that you have received the correct days track clearance. Had to explain this part to the manager as he wondered why one would be interested in the day number of the year. the only other watch with a TMI function is my HP01.

Don't think I would use the log book function as the on board computer/ACARS profile can be printed every leg (B777). The count up and down timers are excellent as they go beyond the standard 12 hours I usually see. Flights from YVR to HKG and SYD are greater then 14 hours.

The ability to assign functions to a left hand upper pusher is also good. Boy is the alarm loud, finally a loud alarm! It is about 80 decibels of background noise in the cockpit.

The backlit (using LED TECH) LCD panel is gorgeous to say the least and is extremely visible, especially in a dark cockpit.

Would I buy one, yes, but I am restoring my 1973 Celica which I purchased in 77! I'd rather have it on the road, then again, I use my HP01 for the flight deck!

Cheers, Geoff

kernelok

Post24 Nov 2012, 09:30

I share geoff point of view and now can appreciate it everyday!
I took it with brown leather wristwatch . I hesitate a lot and made my choice especially because it is lighter compare to black rubber and suits much better for my business daily activities.

I love the functions especially, count down that continue to measure time after beeping and allows to measure total time by adding initial count down and overtime, memory button left up for two displays (I selected date and shut down display to switch on/off date) , week number as I work on planning project and need to think and communicate with this feature, log book to catch length of nap on Sunday (true! Once I feel I fall... I push 2 times log button whatever display at that time and measure at wake up.... 10 min means excellent shape, 20 min good, 30 min ok, 60 min tired, 120 min exhausted !).... Ok it is too much but I am not a pilot!
In a word , ergonomic is excellent, quality of Case at the top ( one critic is alignment of Hands should be better/ I will get back to sav), size which was my clear fear (19 cm wrist for me) is manageable especially with leather wristwatch which is thinner.

I still don t know what is inside, but can say that in a month, that watch has lost roughly 0.8 second which is excellent from my point of view for quartz movement.

I love this Time keeper which measures only time but in all Its variant.

One tricky input is week number which is based on international iso hopefully and starts new week number on Monday and is aligned with European week number calculation. As some of you may know, US and Canada (I think) start week number on sunday and calculate first week of the year with different rules (you find both options in microsoft outlook). Some years you have a week number difference (human nature is so cute not to agree on one unique system to measure time at year 2012!). I wonder how omega manages for US market.... If you look at the Z-33 iPad apps (fantastic real virtual watch to have the watch before having it!), week number is based on US rule!
if somebody who buy or test in the US can say?

Best regards
K

subfanatic

Post27 Nov 2012, 07:54

I love mine...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post27 Nov 2012, 12:05

Welcome to the forum, subfanatic, from us mods.

more pictures are always welcome :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

subfanatic

Post27 Nov 2012, 15:11

Thank you Sir

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Nov 2012, 16:45

When I first saw this watch, I have to admit that it really didn't fit my style, or my small wrists lol. But after seeing on somone else's wrist, it really looks like a great piece of kit.

It's not LED by the way, it's a new type of LCD display, a transflective LCD display. The idea of a transflective LCD is that they reflect light back that is proportional to the light conditions they are in, so they are very sunlight readable, and can still be seen at lower light levels.

Welcome subfanatic, again the watch really looks great on the wrist, can you give us some photos of the lcd under different light without any backlight? It might help others understand how readable the display is under different light.

subfanatic

Post27 Nov 2012, 17:03

Thanks, First pic is under fluorescent lighting without backlight, second is lcd off and third is in the sun. The backlight will come on when changing through modes only if the lighting is not sufficient. In lower light conditions the lcd is not as visible, then you will need the back light. The pusher at 10:00 can be assigned for your favorites, I have it set to display the time with backlight and off on second push. I really enjoy it so far...little pricey and the second hand not being centered on the markers is a little disappointing. Could probably be adjusted by a watchmaker, not sure if I'd go that far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by subfanatic on 27 Nov 2012, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

subfanatic

Post27 Nov 2012, 23:45

Shot of case back and lume... lume looks little blurry in the pic, very sharp in person. The fuzzy part on the case back is where the serial number is...

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Nov 2012, 02:42

Wow!!

Thanks for all the pictures, they're great!! The caseback looks great with the very high relief.

subfanatic

Post28 Nov 2012, 03:02

Your welcome, best I could do with my phone.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post28 Nov 2012, 12:26

yes thx for the pictures... can someone tell me the price of this one?

- Kasper -

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Nov 2012, 14:18

AFAIR with bracelet ~5700 usd

bqn109com

Post26 Feb 2013, 20:54

I bought mine in Dec 12'. Also notice the second hand ticking not aligning to the marking.
I sent it in for a repair at the Omega boutique. It took them 6 weeks for the repair, just got it back two days ago.
In the return package was a Ziploc bag with the old hour hand, second hand and a minute hand. I don't know what they did but it's good now. :-D
If you're having that movement problem I recommend you sending it in.

Bert
Next

Return to Modern Digitals