• Author

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Ventura Alpha 1 Vs Alpha 2.

Post29 Apr 2013, 10:18

Haha John,

Of course :grin1:
I think i will post some pictures of my Venturas maybe tomorrow or very soon.

:dwf:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post01 May 2013, 19:49

Mine got stucked at Fedex ... :(

Now waiting for Ventura to provide information about the break down cost of the watch to clear the custom. And I guess so that they can send me the bill for import tax :bang:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 May 2013, 18:24

That could be expensive, :evil: :bang:
Received the W25S today,WOW! :-D :eek: :mega: Quick initial thoughts ...much better looking than the W25R1, the bracelet is fabulous, probably the most fluid and comfortable of all Ventura bracelets,plenty adjustment with half links included.A stonking piece of wearable art, an absolute classic in every respect. :grin1:
Pics and a presentation to follow.......................

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post03 May 2013, 01:30

I hope the import tax will be below USD$100 ... :-(

What sucks is the delay in delivery. I even emailed Ventura about it. But I have yet hear from either Fedex or Ventura :bang:

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 May 2013, 15:51

As promissed pictures of my collection of modern digitals.
A side by side comparison of the Ventura Sigma, Alpha I & II, Ventura BMW Sparc, Hamilton Pulsomatic and Seiko SDGA001.

Image[

Extreme build quality and wonderful design in all these watches, but in my book Ventura wins.

:Hi: ENJOY!!! :bye:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 May 2013, 17:33

Very nice, Cesar, your a Ventura man through and through!
After viewing them all together , the Sigma still stands out as something special......wail till you see it all dressed up in its durinox bracelet.
Pics and a comparison "test" with new Sigma MGS soon................

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 May 2013, 17:40

Hello John,

Thank you, a picture might convince me to order a durinox bracelet such as yours from Mr. Nobs aswell.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post05 May 2013, 03:24

Awesome collection.

I have a agree that the Sigma does stand out. Can't wait until mine arrives.

I also have the same Seiko and photo doesn't do it justices. You have to see it in person and in different lighting condition to realize how great the screen is.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 May 2013, 14:31

Nice collection you have there.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 May 2013, 16:26

At last! some quick photos of the W25S, one of the rarest versions of the Sigma and indeed of the whole vtec range. This serial number is well below 1000, detailed description to follow,those links are 4/5MM thick, beautifully smooth and rounded,it fits like a glove around the wrist.Venturas best bracelet by far IMO. :O`~
Sigma 1.jpg

Sigma 2.jpg

Sigma 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by holly35 on 06 May 2013, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post05 May 2013, 21:22

These are great pictures, but i still haven't seen one in real. There is no salespoints in belgium :-(

i really would love to buy one, but they are just to expensive to buy one without trying it on..i have small wrists.

Cesar i like the picture with the 4 ventura's on a row. Left one is indeed the most beautiful of them all , but the third one, beginning from left, has the best lcd, only the deepblue background doesn,t match the surrounding black.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 May 2013, 21:47

Hi Kasper,
Dont be fooled by the displays, the Alpha 2s just happens to have caught the light better.
The Alpha 1s various photos shows this to better effect.
The Alpha 1s lcd does sometimes reflect a blue tint , but usually shows black.
Its bigger display makes it slightly quicker to "read" the time, but the earlier display is slicker IMO.
Pics dont do them justice, and are all beautifully made , however the Sigma just happens to be on an even higher level, the design and curved surfaces are fabulous.It will be interesting to see if these Ven-03 moduled versions are phased out ,the Delta has already gone.Remember the Sigma is originally a Euro 1650 watch................If and when they go ,i think due to there tiny production numbers, style,design ,quality and the link to Nicolas Cage in the film Bangkok Dangerous,the Sigma may become one of Venturas most coveted models.
Last edited by holly35 on 06 May 2013, 09:31, edited 2 times in total.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 May 2013, 22:13

Cesar,

thanks for poting these pictures! Amazing!

Hanno.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 May 2013, 10:21

Here is a comparison "test" between the Sigma and its new brother the Sigma MGS.As i dont have the MGS version ,i will use my past experience with the Sparc models to make approximate comments,which are all of my own opinion................................................................................................

Quality- I doubt there would be much difference here,both are built to exceptional standards,Sapphire crystals,durinox cases and bracelets ,screw down case backs, completely hand made and assembled.You really need to see and handle a Ventura to appreciate them.

Style-This is an interesting one,as although very similar i think that the MGS is slightly wider and more bulbous around its middle area. this is probably to make room for the rotor and mechanical components.The crystal on the MGS is now just proud of the case giving a smoother look,where the Sigmas is protected by being counter sunk. I personally prefer the original .Both have huge wrist presence.

Finish- Although both these models are durinox hardened stainless steel,the Sigma has a brighter semi gloss brushed finish.The brushing is subtle and looks as if its under a protective glaze.
The MGS has a matt,sand blasted finish like the Alpha 2,which gives it a more industrial look to it.The bracelets have fluid flowing links that are around 4/5mm thick.The Sigmas links are rounded and smooth and are very comfortable,while the MGS has oblong squared off links .i prefer the look of the Sigmas which seems to blend with the shape of the case better.

Display- The MGS has a larger display as seen in all the latest Ventura models,it is a logical development over the earlier displa,y making the time display larger makes it easier to read quickly and making the secondary info smaller seems the best method.However as a design it does look less impressive than the earlier model.Having all the digits the same size and showing it in a logical straight forward display is a designers dream. Both can be adjusted to show running seconds among other functions. At a glance the MGS is easier to read,but you soon get used to the Sigmas display which is the more professional and slicker looking.

Value-The MGS is a very interesting watch,unique in its functions and displays.There is nothing like it anywhere else in the world.Never needing a battery is a big plus for the MGS, and seeing the rotor on the case top is a conversation starter every time.The Sigma is the original though, the design ,development and sheer engineering issues that had to be overcome during its development is a milestone in watch making.The display is a classic and beautifully presented.Yes you will need to send it back to Ventura every 3/4 years for a battery replacement and to have it properly resealed with the special gasket,but even so ,at its new reduced price point at a quarter of the MGS i ,for one am happy to live with that.
I also have a feeling the Sigmas days are numbered,get one while you can........ However the MGS remains unique and if you can afford it ,then why not? your unlikley ever to meet anyone else in your life time that has one. :mega:
Sigma and the MGS Sigma together, and a lazer image shot of the Sigma case.
download (2).jpg
sparc_sigma_mgs_1.jpg
Ventura_v-tecSigma_small.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post09 May 2013, 00:13

Mine has arrived. Here's the unboxing ...

Bubble wrapped with Ventura tapes.

Here's how the outter paper box looks like

The inner box

Beginning to get interesting from here. :) You have the instruction manual + warranty information, the bracelet sizing tool, and the pouch.

They even individually pressure tested each watch. And the watch was set to my timezone upon delivery, that's a nice personal touch. :)

Here's the glory of the watch.

Even the "pillow" is in the "V" shape

The back of the watch has information about this model. I have not taken off the bracelet yet, but I wonder if there is a serial number anywhere on the watch?

Wrist shots.

I had to size down the bracelet with all but a half link removed. As expected, the adjustabiliy of the bracelet is some what limited for my wrist size. I felt like I am in between bracelet sizees. But my wrist size varies quite a bit depends on temperature.

The bracelet is held together by "pin and collar" (i.e. Seiko, older Omega, etc) and I am fine with that. With the included sizing tool, sizing the bracelet is easy, just don't lose the pins and collars. LOL

I will likely to end up sourcing custom made leather strap for the watch in case of change of mood. The watch is "OK" for me to wear with the bracelet. But I imagine it would be more comfortable to wear with a properly sized leather strap. I would be wearing it with the bracelet until I got the leather strap made, which would take a while.

The watch with bracelet is hefty. Feels very solid, very nice attention to detail and well put together. The watch is as good as I imagine it to be. I prefer the this LCD layout (to the MGS version) of having all numbers in the same size, its more symmetrical. :-)

When the scroll wheel is in the locked position, the running second digital disappeared and its a nice minimalistic watch.

The operation of the each feature is pretty straight forward, its easy to figure how to use it. I found myself using the scroll wheel with my index finger to go through and operate the function of the watch. I have to say the scroll wheel is not the easiest for me to use cause I am quite used to "buttons" (in my other digital watch). But the wheel itself contribute to the minimalistic style of the watch.

So far I am thrilled about the purchase. Its the grail digital watch that I wanted to own for quite a while. I really don't know what else can top the Sigma for me. (maybe this HD3 PV00? haha ;-) http://www.amazon.com/HD3-PV00-V1-CA01- ... bs_watch_3) As for the Ventura brand of watches, I have become a fan and they have proven to produce awesome watches. They deserve more recognition. I hope that they are going to stick around for a long time, do well and continue to release models with great innovation. (and provide service for my watch, LOL)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 May 2013, 15:07

You will find your serial number engraved near the edge of the case back,bet its well below 00***,after all the time its been made and numbers are this low,this is very much exclusive and rare!Enjoy.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post10 May 2013, 23:05

Oh yeah, I found the serial number :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2013, 17:24

thx for the nice review..much appreciated. I think i have to pay a visit to one of my neighbour countries so i can see one in real and try it on.

i was wondering...do you think it will fit somebody with very small wrists and how does the alarm sound?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 May 2013, 18:48

Hi Kasper,
Best ask our friend, and forum member here,he has smaller wrists........................I will say that the bracelet version is better balanced , weight wise on the wrist than the rubber strap version,which tends to try and pull the watch round the wrist,due to the weight of the case.
Which ever Ventura you go for they are all superb.
I spoke with my supplying dealer who has confirmed that the Sigma has been discontinued. :no: :mrgreen: They will soon all be gone,and become coveted classics, :Prost: in terms of build,exclusivity,display quality,there is nothing in the world quite like the Sigma, oh yes,and Nicolas Cage has one. :mega:

barbes

Post14 May 2013, 16:04

Hello, new member here.

I've just picked up a new Alpha 2 and the acoustic signal (timer and alarm) is nearly inaudible - you have to hold it to your ear to hear it. Those of you who have one, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post14 May 2013, 19:30

barbes wrote:Hello, new member here.

I've just picked up a new Alpha 2 and the acoustic signal (timer and alarm) is nearly inaudible - you have to hold it to your ear to hear it. Those of you who have one, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

The beep from my Sigma is weak. Its weaker than the Casio G-Shock that I have. It works as an "notification", but not an "alarm".

barbes

Post14 May 2013, 22:56

[/quote] beep from my Sigma is weak. Its weaker than the Casio G-Shock that I have. It works as an "notification", but not an "alarm".[/quote]

I've got both a Sigma and an old-style Delta and the beep is clearly audible. This new Alpha is not, you can literally barely hear it. Anybody with a new Alpha 2 that can comment?
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Digitals