Question about Atomic radio controlled watches

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Re: Question about Atomic radio controlled watches

Post27 Feb 2013, 23:46

Well, I tried it with Chrome but it was a no go for me. I set the watch to Tokyo timezone, downloaded Java and set up the web site, using the Sony earphone, but the watch failed to sync with Japan time.

The signal was audible, so I suppose the signal itself worked. Maybe it was the quality of the signal, the headphone is not close enough to the watch or the noise in the office.

I used Chrome browser. I had to download and install Java for it. You can see there is a time and signal indication on the web site, which wasn't there when I was using IE.

The watch was nice and sync-ed up with US atomic signal.

I set the timezone of the watch to TYO

I tried put the headphone near the caseback, and I tried laying the watch on the side, I even tried using the laptop's speaker (LOL), but none of those worked ... :(

Maybe I will re-do the test at home when its more quiet.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post28 Feb 2013, 09:27

Hi stockae92.
I think that so long as sounds are being generated, the webpage is working correctly.
The receiver in different watches would have different sensitivities I suppose. I would suggest turning the volume up to maximum. I had the earbuds in direct contact with the caseback (inserting them between a watch pillow and the caseback). You could try this, but again I suppose different watches have the receiver in different positions :scratch: .

Good luck.
Rgds.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post28 Feb 2013, 09:29

......just had another thought. Different speakers have different frequency responses.
I used genuine Apple earbuds. You could give these a try if you've got access to any.
Rgds.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Feb 2013, 16:31

Another thought, the recieving antenna in your casio is at the 12 o'clock position right under the solar panel under the word "CASIO". You could try laying your watch face up on a table and put the speaker of the earbud right at that position, and crank up the volume as suggested, you could even use light tape or masking tape to hold the speaker in place at the antenna's position when you do this.

lol this is a rather facinating experiment, thanks guys for taking the time to test this theory out.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post28 Feb 2013, 19:28

AlmightyTallest wrote:lol this is a rather facinating experiment, thanks guys for taking the time to test this theory out.

LOL x 2, especially when we can sync perfectly fine to the US atomic signal with the correct time. And the end result from the web site will sync us to the Japan time instead ... haha M:)W:)M

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Feb 2013, 22:10

LOL, I know we're being a little silly with this, but at least we helped that nice Australian gentleman charger get his watches synched.

No matter what happens, at least the story had a happy ending afterall, somewhere in Australia. M:)W:)M
Previous

Return to Modern Digitals