Diesel driver 'wannabe'

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Diesel driver 'wannabe'

Post10 Dec 2012, 14:27

I've seen a couple of bad copies of the Diesel drivers watch, but this one looks really promising. Could be some enhanced photos though...

Unfortunately they don't ship to Norway, only Europe.... :roll:

Could anyone in an 'allowed' european country do me a favour, and help me get one of these??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0892004924

JHH

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Diesel driver 'wannabe'

Post10 Dec 2012, 15:30

Wow that is a long list of exclusions, including the UK (so I will not be able to help - sorry), is there anywhere he does post to?

I would be sceptical about what is on offer, the display is just photo shopped in place, flick between the photo's and the display moves up and down depending on where it has been pasted in.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Dec 2012, 15:34

Also be aware that what is shown in the display is an OLED display, but the description mentions an LED display. Best to ask the seller some questions before attempting to get something that may have no resemblance to the photo being portrayed.

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Post10 Dec 2012, 15:48

I agree that the listing pictures looks kinda suspicious, but the ones inside the description looks to be genuine...

In worst case I would probably receive one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1015261111

In best case, it's an OLED as you say. For this price, I woudn't mind taking the risk. :-)

JHH

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post10 Dec 2012, 16:44

843 neutrals, and 483 negatives, in 12 months. I'm out.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Dec 2012, 18:46

€ 12.- for an OLED watch? Sounds too good to be true. If we wouldn´t have the tough customs here it would have been worth a try - just for the oled display of course. But they ask strange questions and they can make you feel very uncomfortable especially in regard to copies from China...

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Post10 Dec 2012, 18:51

...well... You forget about the 53449 positives last 12 months. He's still a 99%. ;-) I've dealt with sellers with lower scores than that. But you are correct. Normally I would have chosen an alternative seller if available, even if it ment a slightly higher price for the same item.

It seems like most complaints are about shipments not arrived or bad quality items, mostly make-up and clothes. Paypal would easily cover non received items, and for bad quality issues.... well, I would be surprised if quality is as good as hoped for, but only way to find out is to check I guess.

JHH

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2013, 20:09

Hi Lillegutt have you got it sorted yet cos here it is on .co.uk
370706744895 £9.75
But I agree doubt very much it's oled, you could always ask first!
You never know they may answer honestly!
Let's face it though even if it isn't when you consider the return
postage to pay, your gonna end up keeping it.....
PETE
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jan 2013, 00:37

Lillegutt wrote:I've seen a couple of bad copies of the Diesel drivers watch, but this one looks really promising. Could be some enhanced photos though...

Unfortunately they don't ship to Norway, only Europe.... :roll:

Could anyone in an 'allowed' european country do me a favour, and help me get one of these??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0892004924

JHH

USA is on the exclude list, but I am wondering if anybody tried it? :p

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jan 2013, 18:33

Thanks for the tip!

I got one from another seller, that happily shipped to Norway. It is bigger and heavier than I imagined, but it fits my arm perfectly, besides from he bracelet that is only 20cm. Seller should check if additional links was available. And it is indeed an animated OLED display. I'll see if I can post some pictures of it when I'm back in a couple of weeks.

I bought this one
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1043681753

JHH

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jan 2013, 02:15

The clasp on the "wannabe" does looks different.

The "wannabe" has a hidden clasp and the Diesel has a diver style tri-fold clasp with micro adjustment holes. I wonder if we can convert the hidden clasp to the tri-fold clasp?

And Lillegutt, did you get the silver or titanium one? I am assuming both are SS, one is polished and one is brushed finish?

btw, whats the width of the bracelet at the clasp? Thanks.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post29 Jan 2013, 21:36

Lillegutt wrote:Thanks for the tip!

I got one from another seller, that happily shipped to Norway. It is bigger and heavier than I imagined, but it fits my arm perfectly, besides from he bracelet that is only 20cm. Seller should check if additional links was available. And it is indeed an animated OLED display. I'll see if I can post some pictures of it when I'm back in a couple of weeks.

I bought this one
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1043681753

JHH

Alright, I finally bite the bullet, find the US listing, and ordered the "titanium" finish version.

Looks like the screen portion has a darker and more integrated color.

So let's see how the watch stack up when it show up at my door step. :)

For the money, maybe it is at least good for giggle and laugh :p

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post07 Feb 2013, 02:01

The watch finally arrived at my location. Here's an initial impression of it and pictures.

This is the container that the watch came in with, nothing too special, but better than just bubble wrap. :)

Inside of the container laid an alien-looking "thing" ...

Took the watch out. The ion plating looks more bronze than black / pencil grey. Maybe that's why the seller advertise it as titanium finish? BTW, it doesn't look like titanium at all. :p I expect the ion plating finish to be as tough as other low cost plated watches, which means it's not tough like PVD / DLC or other tougher plating finish.

The fitment and finish of the case is as expected at the price point. Its not so great, a few rough or sharp spot. Bracelet rattles a little. But for the price, I can't complain too much about it. I haven't sized the bracelet, but I think its held together by split pins.

Here's the clasp of the bracelet. No micro adjustment as expected. The width of the bracelet at the clasp is a weird 25mm. Retro-fitting other straps will be impossible because the bracelet is integrated and held to the case by screws.

Case back is plain sliver finish with no marking on it.

Here's the most important part: The display. It in fact has the animated OLED display for time (left button) and date (right button). Looks pretty awesome in person and that's basically the reason why I even bother with the watch. :D The display is easily readable in office lighting. I tried reading the time outside under sun today. Its still readable but it looks dim as some other review mentioned. But in indoors, its nice and bright. It could be due to the fresh battery and OLED screen. It *might* dim over time but only time could tell.

And here's the date display. Its not the easiest format to read because the day of the week and month numeral has no spacing in between. But I digress.

Here's a rough wrist shot. Definitely looks unconventional, and I don't think it goes well with business causal. LOL I might wear it for laugh and giggle on nights out. But otherwise, I expect the watch to spend much of its time in the watch box. :p

For the price, I like it, basically just for the way that it tells time. I am still thinking if I should have gone with silver (brushed SS) finish instead. But the darker shade of the color does help hide the size of the watch and bracelet, which makes the watch less "flashy".

BTW, the package does not come with any instruction or manual. I had to figure it out on my own. For display, it's simply left button for the time and right button for the date. To set the watch, you have to hold down the right button for 2 to 3 seconds, then it will go into setting mode, use the right button for setting the option / number, and left button to go to the next setting. You can set the time to 12hr or 24hr format, but I don't think you can change the date format in setting.

That's it. Hope you enjoy reading this pictural. :)

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Feb 2013, 19:38

Thanks for that review and the photos stockae92, I'm actually surprised and impressed about the brightness of the OLED display on this watch. A few years back when they offered these they used a mirrored finish on the crystal, and that certainly didn't help with the readability or brightness of the display. But for the price, I don't think you could have gone wrong, and it's the different kind of watch you were looking for. :D

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post07 Feb 2013, 20:50

thx for the review,

is it me or does the module fit the watchcase or...what is that white piece in the window?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post08 Feb 2013, 02:12

The white piece seems to be the trim / padding / spacer around the display. I would have been nicer if its black so that it doesn't show up like that.

Return to Modern Digitals