Seiko sbpg 001

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Seiko sbpg 001

Post01 Jun 2013, 17:08

For anyone interested in this watch,i have had notification that production of this model is now very limited,get one while you still can. :grin1:
A future classic ? ...perhaps , with all its desirable spec and general low production numbers,all the hallmarks are in place.
Anyone care to share their thoughts and experience? Please no more sync comments :ha: This will always be a touchy subject.
I wonder how it compares with the SDGA and Co in terms of build.?

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Re: Seiko sbpg 001

Post02 Jun 2013, 12:28

I've had my SBPG001 for only 5 days and love it to the max. Honestly its value for money and if you are interested in digital LCD watches then its a must have. For the money you pay the quality is very high, not too big or small, excellent quality solid link bracelet that is very comfortable and doesn't pull hair, even the end links are solid, clasp could have been better but seems strong enough. Has everything I need and very user friendly. Very crisp display, backlight is pretty good too. I use this watch only at work and will be exposed to abuse although I do take care of it as much as I can. Will definitely buy another if most of the following are included in a future model. I am Very happy with this watch and wore it all weekend instead of my Mechanical Swiss Watches that are a part of a rotation. As from tomorrow (Monday) I will enjoy wearing this Modern High Quality LCD Watch for work only and the alarms, stopwatch and timer will be very handy :-D

My Wish List - Happy to pay more for it and obviously should cost more if it had the following............
- Sapphire Glass.
- Better Bracelet Clasp.
- Hourly Chime, wouldn't use it but reminds me of the 70s/80s
- Option to select date display, for us Aussies and other Nations we want the month to be displayed after the date.
- Option for a one time alarm, also mon-frid alarm. 3 alarms are fine but you have to remember to turn them off when not needed.
- Titanium Case and Bracelet.
- Remove the (Radiowave Control Solar) & (5Bands / World Time) writing on the Screen of the watch. We know what the watch does by reading the specs before we buy, no need to remind us every time we check the time.

No Sync Comments here as we don't have Transmitting Towers in Australia.

Holly, I did own the SDGA previously and the quality was slightly better than this SBPG001. The display is obviously better (EPD) and it has a Sapphire Glass which makes it better again. Don't let this put you off because for the money the SBPG001 is Very High Quality.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post03 Jun 2013, 23:30

I have never handled a SBPG but I have a SBGA myself. This really has because one of my top 3 digital watches (the other 2 be Ventura Sigma and Casio G-Shock GW5000)

The watch felt solid and well put together. I have seen people stare at the watch before, LOL. And I received more comments about it than my other higher dollar Swiss mechanical watches. The screen is just fantastic. The numbers looks so natural that its unnatural for a "watch". And the contrast is awesome and never got washed out in direct sunlight. In fact the brighter the better. :D

I don't know if this is going to be a future classic. But so far I love mine and until there are better version of the same watch, this is the one for me.

I do wished that the bracelet has micro adjustment or at least half links for bracelet length adjustment, so far I have no problem with the comfortable of the watch. The screen refresh rate may bother some people, but I don't have use the features too often (I usually just leave it in various current time mode and be done with it) so that doesn't bother me much.

Were there sync-ing problem with the watch?? Mine sync-ed every night if I wore it to sleep ... yes, I sleep with my watch on :)

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post03 Jun 2013, 23:39

Wait a sec, I just realized OP was talking about SBPG001 (digital watch), not SBPA001 (EPD watch) ... :oops: :bang:

Just consider my previous post as whoring out photos and comment of my SBGA001 ... !@@! :p

I did own a SBPG001 briefly before, but I sold it because functional-wise it was too much like my other G-Shocks and I didn't see myself wearing it too much because of the other watches that I owned at that time. :)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Jun 2013, 16:40

Had to pick one of these up before they are all gone. :grin1: I got mine at a very good price :mrgreen: The build quality is good and isnt really all that far behind the SDGA.I have also had a old Seiko with the mineral glass ,and honestly its been battered about over the years and only has a scuff on the magnifying lens over the date,so i dont think this is much of an issue if you look after it.
Charged up fully in a few hours after its journey here.Easy to use,comfortable ,ideal weight ,excellent functions and looks cool with the mauve coloured solar panel.
Tried a forced sync around 5 pm which isnt the best time to make an attempt.Lock on and synced easily :-D Which is more than the Megas ever managed.
Overall ,very nice watch, highly recommended,against the SDGA :scratch: I actually prefer this.I would advise anyone to pick one up. :call:

Return to Modern Digitals