Ventura superiority?

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Re: Ventura Delta experience.

Post23 Jul 2013, 02:53

Ever had any problems with your ventura's cj?
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

cj.cooper

Re: Ventura Delta experience.

Post23 Jul 2013, 03:14

Andy_from_Perth wrote:Ever had any problems with your ventura's cj?

Well, when my Sigma needed a new battery... gave it to Ventura's distributor in Thailand (Baechtold) to be replaced. Went offshore to a rig... and after giving it a wash, the screen went dead. :twisted:
They had not done a proper job resealing the case - so the movement was replaced.
Got that back, and the second timezone setting didn't update properly - the T2 date would weirdly change year/day.
When I got it back again, all was well... til many weeks later when i went to use the light, and.... the light button was stuck/inoperable. Didn't go back to fix, as i was again due to get back to work and fed up with Baechtold anyway.
So... i've been interested in the Sigma MGS for the no battery replacement function :idea:

Forgot to mention - one area they could really improve is the scroll wheel - not its function, as the single wheel works great (especially now the hours and minutes are separate settings rather than set by how fast you turn the wheel) but how it feels.
If you've ever used a decent piece of hi-fi equipment, I'm referring to the feel when you turn the dials - the best ones felt smooth and 'oily' and had a kind of micro step you could feel through your fingers.

But returning to using Titanium as their primary material would be best of all...

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Re: Ventura superiority?

Post23 Jul 2013, 14:51

so apart from a service centre doing a lousy job, not much at all.
cheers
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Jul 2013, 18:24

Andy_from_Perth wrote:so apart from a service centre doing a lousy job, not much at all.
cheers

This is exactly the issues i warned about with these watches, a lousy job :!:you must be kidding If it was my $2000 Sigma i would be :evil: :twisted: :bang:
Regarding the scroll wheel,i totally agree,its a fabulous idea but its operation ( unchanged since its launch) is not very good.That rough sound,and feeling you get when you turn it (a cricket sound as its stated as in the manual) i think is nothing more that the sharp edge of the spring that resides between the case and wheel,scraping the inside of the case.You can turn on/off the bleep sound which i found has a mind of its own anyway.
I wasnt going to list all the issues i have experienced with Ventura ....But i now feel i should detail these.............
One was returned because the module was misaligned,one also had another module issue and was sent back to me(from Ventura) repaired but with a back light some how pushed against the module causing the back light to have a pronounced bright spot.
Rubber clasps that loose their tension and dont close properly causing them to cut into the wrist.
A badly fitted crystal /case edge which was uneven at on corner.
These all were on different watches not one,alas my last purchase the Sigma w25S has a clasp that has sprung open twice causing me to nearly loose it.
After all this i cant even be bothered to return it. :twisted: I wanted to love Ventura,and kept going back for another,but i have seen the light :amen: This along with other owners (on this forum)with buttons that have dropped off,and clasp pushers that have fallen apart kind of ****** you off a bit. :sad:
I think Ventura have some fabulous looking products,with high quality materials but let down by quality control issues .
During the development they should have designed an easier way to replace batteries instead of making it harder.Having to remove modules,scroll wheels etc is a complete pain.(could be a marketing thing to get you to send them back )
The curved character fonts are fine,but Seikos 0624 from 1974 is just as nice (but not obviously as good resolution as Ventura)
I agree some Ventura models are more visually pleasing to the eye than the Seiko EPD (its more functional) but its super crisp display with fully formed numbers is a step ahead from lcd,no mater how many segments you design into the display.Also the whole technology is way more advanced.The V-TECS,have nothing over a 1974 lcd watch,apart from higher quality cases/bracelets and a designer display............................................... :bye: sorry.
My take on it is ,in a few years e-ink epd will leave lcd behind ,just as lcd did to led......................................................................................... :?:
On an upbeat note i think the earlier chronometers are a much higher quality product. :-D

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post24 Jul 2013, 06:55

lol, enjoy your seiko.
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jul 2013, 13:17

I tend to agree with Holly on the scroll wheel, perhaps a good thought but pushers or touchscreen is a better way.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post24 Jul 2013, 15:03

i think buttons would have looked better, particularly for the Delta, but the rest of spec. more than makes up for that - especially when you consider what else is on the market.
even then, i think the wheel helps give the watch series an individual class/charm of their own.

well done ventura :-D
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Jul 2013, 19:40

Andy_from_Perth wrote:lol, enjoy your seiko.

likewise. :-D :grin1: :grin1:
If your interested ,i have an official Ventura watch display stand (listed for sale) ....
You can drool over your latest purchase with it.......... ;-)

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jul 2013, 01:57

lol, yeah i saw that

i will 'drool' over it on my wrist thanks :grin1:

serial number 1200 8-)
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

cj.cooper

Post25 Jul 2013, 02:03

I think the scroll wheel is a great idea, and works well - note, in 'older' versions like mine, to change hours or minutes depends on how fast you scroll.... this is NOT good, but the current version has the hrs and minutes set separated by a push of the wheel.

In practice it does simplify and is intuitive.
Just the feel/build quality could be improved to give better feedback to the fingers (not a fan of the beep ;-) )

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jul 2013, 03:59

maybe it needs a little 'modified' o-ring or something on the shaft to act as a small bushing - might look into it when i see what its like.
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2013, 13:27

i have an old Delta so the firmware may not be upgradable. Still would have the grating sound on rotation. Also the movement is not thermocompensated.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post25 Jul 2013, 15:18

grating sound on rotation, meh sounds like character to me :-D

lol, i knew the TC would come up sooner or later - well here's one customer that doesnt give a flying fig about 60 sec a year :-D
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Jul 2013, 21:40

[quote="Andy_from_Perth"]grating sound on rotation, meh sounds like character to me :-D

Looks like you have totally fallen under the Ventura spell :no: Before you have even got your hands on one. :grin1: I too fell under the spell :oops: but have now cured this affliction :amen:
Now on the subject of complete peace of mind accuracy,i have no problems in this area and dont need TC as my........ no i am not going to say it. :-D :grin1:
Time to move on from this thread,despite perhaps coming across rather hard here,it is as i have experienced the brand.Warts and all,however i still like Ventura digitals and appreciate their style...but from a distance.... ~:(

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post26 Jul 2013, 07:01

yes ive fallen under the spell, just like i have with my cars & houses lol - i trust my judgement - i have a great eye for detail - its my profession afterall.

there is nothing on the market that comes close to the actual spec of a current ventura digital (or my delta) - so in my mind that makes them superior :mrgreen:

so there you go, you got your answer to the question you felt you so needed to ask :ha:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Plato

Geek

Geek

Post26 Jul 2013, 16:39

Sorry... but that sigma ... M:)W:)M
it's just not wearable! imho

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Jul 2013, 16:56

Quote,there is nothing on the market that comes close to the actual spec of a current ventura digital (or my delta )
Really! :grin1: In what respect? Apart from the hardened case and wheel i cant thing of anything else.Congrats on your purchase ,i wish you luck with it..... ~:( :-?

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post26 Jul 2013, 18:20

Plato wrote:Sorry... but that sigma ... M:)W:)M

i agree plato, it looks very 'odd', to me as well - but hey, as long as the people that buy it love it thats all that counts! im sure you would agree :Prost:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post26 Jul 2013, 18:34

holly35 wrote:Quote,there is nothing on the market that comes close to the actual spec of a current ventura digital (or my delta )
Really! :grin1: In what respect? Apart from the hardened case and wheel i cant thing of anything else.Congrats on your purchase ,i wish you luck with it..... ~:( :-?

well, like you say - the hardened case, with venturas unique designs & the gorgeous display, characters & layout combined is enough for me to say its totally unique.

I like the display design especially because it offers a brilliant combination of 'high tec' & retro (in my eyes) - without resorting to look like another boring monochrome mobile phone display - ala seiko epd :grin1:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

cj.cooper

Post26 Jul 2013, 19:32

Plato wrote:Sorry... but that sigma ... M:)W:)M

So, how long did you try wearing it?

You did try wearing it, right? :eek:

I thought it looked odd too... until i tried it on.
And, until i tried it on, I would never have thought to get an orange strap :mega:

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jul 2013, 02:11

i love the detail on the strap - the ventura V's look :mega:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Jul 2013, 14:35

I think Andy is ensorcered by Ventura. They are nice watches but not the best that could be.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Digitals