It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:29

Re Ventura superiority..nah,this is a watch display!

Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re Ventura superiority..nah,this is a watch display!

Post04 Aug 2013, 18:58

Now,this is what i call a beautiful display.......................................... :-D :grin1: :call:
seiko.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by holly35 on 06 Aug 2013, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

cj.cooper

Re: Re Ventura superiority..nah,this is a watch display!

Post04 Aug 2013, 19:28

A beautiful display... in an uninspired over large body, with too many ugly buttons. ;-)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Aug 2013, 20:30

Of course,styling is always a personal thing :-) .You really need to see it on the wrist in person. :mega: :grin1: Once its set ,you dont really need to use the buttons mutch :-)
After collecting all kinds of watches over the years,manuals,autos and digitals (of all descriptions) I have now found my perfect watch. :-D
Superb clarity,nice and light weight(compared with some,i used to associated quality with weight but thats not really always the best way to perceive quality)comfortable to wear.Self sufficient and always accurate.The clarity is without rival anywhere in the digital world :ha: ,the display can be read from the other side of a room and at almost parallel to the case :ha: .Kind of makes angled viewing screens and driver style watches a joke. :no:
No battery changes, ;-) Not water pressure tests, :grin1: Just a superb piece of kit that requires next to no adjustment. :-D
Everyone has their own favorites, and opinions of whats most important,be it a fancy case design,or designer inflated prices ... been there ,done that.For me the clarity ,quality and function of these Seikos are cutting edge,just like they were in 1973 with their superb 0624. :O`~ Welcome to the new dawn of digital displays. "willkommen"
Last edited by holly35 on 05 Aug 2013, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post05 Aug 2013, 02:22

& i thought there was going to be something different in here.
anyway glad you like it :-D
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post05 Aug 2013, 11:31

holly35 wrote:For me the clarity ,quality and function of these Seikos are cutting edge

Clarity : Totally Agree, Speaking for both the Seiko EPDs the Display is the best you will find, absolutely nothing comes close, cutting edge for sure. No need to even compare to anything out there, its the best and thats that :-D

Quality and Function : :scratch: IMHO the quality is not cutting edge, very good but not cutting edge and the reason the functionality is not cutting edge is because they haven't worked out how to add a count down timer or stopwatch. For the functions that are available its user friendly and easy to set alarms etc especially with that magnificent display. If a timer and stopwatch is not needed then its great for you but really a digital watch should include these functions to be classed as (functional) no point mentioning functions if they don't exist.

I cant wait to see this display in future watches, in more brands with more functions and all levels of quality and price to suit us all..................

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2013, 12:41

Andy_from_Perth wrote:& i thought there was going to be something different in here.
anyway glad you like it :-D

Well there is a raft of new ,unused Venturas on Ebay ,and has been for sometime.UK only...seller is stripping back from a huge Ventura collection.All going cheap,the last RX he had sold for around £250. Thats down from an original new price of around £1800.Why buy new? if this is your bag. :grin1:

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Aug 2013, 12:44

planetlcd wrote:
holly35 wrote:For me the clarity ,quality and function of these Seikos are cutting edge

Clarity : Totally Agree, Speaking for both the Seiko EPDs the Display is the best you will find, absolutely nothing comes close, cutting edge for sure. No need to even compare to anything out there, its the best and thats that :-D

Quality and Function : :scratch: IMHO the quality is not cutting edge, very good but not cutting edge and the reason the functionality is not cutting edge is because they haven't worked out how to add a count down timer or stopwatch. For the functions that are available its user friendly and easy to set alarms etc especially with that magnificent display. If a timer and stopwatch is not needed then its great for you but really a digital watch should include these functions to be classed as (functional) no point mentioning functions if they don't exist.

I cant wait to see this display in future watches, in more brands with more functions and all levels of quality and price to suit us all..................

Sorry,your right here,when i said cutting edge ,i ment the display technology,the SPirit range is good quality but not cutting edge.you can have everything at half the cost of the SDGA :Prost:

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post05 Aug 2013, 12:52

holly35 wrote:Well there is a raft of new ,unused Venturas on Ebay ,and has been for sometime.UK only...seller is stripping back from a huge Ventura collection.All going cheap,the last RX he had sold for around £250. Thats down from an original new price of around £1800.Why buy new? if this is your bag. :grin1:

yes, i know about the venturas, i made a thread about them earlier today - probably a better place for your reply, but anyway i saw a ladies ventura, go for cheap (215 pounds), but this delta with a leather band for example, i do not consider cheap at all :scratch:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171090508267 ... 1423.l2649
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Aug 2013, 13:16

I do not know why pushers are any uglier than a large scroll wheel(really a big crown). It is up to you to decide.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Aug 2013, 14:49

Man this site is getting bitchy lately, handbags at dawn :grin1:

I've actually just contributed in a different thread without realising it, I was genuinely confused by the comments about waterproof and bracelet clasp, but I think I understand now :lol:

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post05 Aug 2013, 14:53

:grin1:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post06 Aug 2013, 23:52

I imagine part of the reason why Seiko didn't put Chronograph mode in the SDGA001 EPD watch is because of power consumption and display ghosting problem.

When you only partially refresh the EPD display, you would have ghosting issue where the faint outline of the previous number still showing after the partial refresh. Doing a chronograph with fast refreshing numbers (partially refreshed display) will compromise the clarity of the display I assume. I think this is an issue for all EPD watches, and its up to the manufacturer to put a fine line between display clarity and functionality.

And I for one is ok with the Seiko EPD watch without a chronograph function. Yes, it would be a nice function to have. But I can live without it. I can live with watch that has only 2 hands and have to be manually winded every other day. The Seiko EPD watch is already giving me a lot more than that. haha~

And the EPD display only consump power when it freshes. So having a chronograph with fast refresh rate would be a compromise on the spec of power server, capacitor size, charging system efficiency, etc. Maybe that's a design concern for Seiko as well.

And I suppose Seiko can also get away a slow control unit without having to worry about the chronograph number refresh rate. maybe.

i thoroughtly enjoy wearing my Seiko EPD watch. Its great for what it is. And I find the construction, quality and attention to detail to be fantastic as well.

cj.cooper

Post07 Aug 2013, 04:09

from Holly's PIC and my own use of eink readers, I agree it's a lovely display.. And is great in 'reverse' ie white text on black background.

if you've seen/used a kindle etc you know how clear the text is and how it only improves outdoors and in brighter lighting and sunlight... And also how little power it consumes.

all tremendously useful things for a watch display - you could just as easily have an option to show eink hands analogue style, or combinations etc... A bit surprising it hasn't been used or tried much or at all apart from Seiko... But then look at the digital watch industry lazily churning out the same old segmented LCD screens...

I can certainly live without stopwatch and so on, as eink refresh rates are not up to it...

Now an eink Titanox Sigma MGS would be :mega:
And while somewhat intergalactic in price... It won't be Romain Jerome Spacecraft bonkers pricey!

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Aug 2013, 11:54

Interestingly, one of the V-tecs most vaunted accolades,the "easy scroll " scroll wheel (which is an over sized crown) HAS been done before by .......Yes Seiko :no: :-D :grin1: in the early/mid seventies with their crown setting LCs .This was used instead of buttons to access dual time,date month and setting functions.
Rather than setting it into the top of the case as Ventura have done,Seiko ingeniously used a traditional crown position. ;-) Further more it had a beautifully damped and smooth operation ,that had none of the rough ,rasping motion as on the scroll wheel. :no: :roll:

Andy_from_Perth

Techie

Techie

Post08 Aug 2013, 12:05

i hardly ever use the scroll wheel & i dont have a issue with it when i do.

it sure was not a factor in me buying a delta, the superior case, band, display, workmanship & design/look of the watch sure was tho.
these things are something i have not seen in any other new or old digital watch.

I have not been disappointed at all, the alarm sound is very cool too.

because there is nothing else on the market that compares, i think its definitely worth every penny - especially because i can see how good its going to age - not like your typical made in china seiko :grin1:
ss Ventura V-Tech DELTA
ss Seiko sbpg

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 Aug 2013, 12:26

As i said in the other thread,strap it on ,flash it about and be happy. :ntars: :amen: :grin1: :-D :mega: :roll:

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post08 Aug 2013, 13:07

Andy_from_Perth wrote:i hardly ever use the scroll wheel & i dont have a issue with it when i do.

it sure was not a factor in me buying a delta, the superior case, band, display, workmanship & design/look of the watch sure was tho.
these things are something i have not seen in any other new or old digital watch.

I have not been disappointed at all, the alarm sound is very cool too.

because there is nothing else on the market that compares, i think its definitely worth every penny - especially because i can see how good its going to age - not like your typical made in china seiko :grin1:

Andy, I just realised you have your Delta. Sounds like you are happy with it and I knew you would be. Its a fantastic watch in every way and being so different to anything out there and Swiss Made is a real bonus.
Wearing my Titanium Kappa now and loving it, but honestly after owning the Kappa for a while I'm drawn back to the Delta design especially in the SS compared to the Black one that I had. Wish they were sold here in Australia so we can see the range they offer in person. I cant wait to see what they offer in future and hope its a watch with the EPD display but for now the unique display they offer is excellent.

Mate......enjoy your Delta :-)

joshkerr

Post08 Aug 2013, 15:43

Andy_from_Perth wrote:I have not been disappointed at all, the alarm sound is very cool too.

The alarm sounds very cool. I get a lot of compliments on the alarm. Sounds like something out of the future, I like to let it ring a little longer than usual because I enjoy it so much. :-)

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Aug 2013, 17:51

A wise friend of mine once said.

"If you see something you like, and keep going back to look at it, then you must really like it and will surely enjoy it once you take the plunge and just buy it."

This really applies to anything, but certainly for watches. That's why we have so many varieties, price points and styles, from different time periods even to choose from. I'm really glad I came across this site so many years ago and learned so much from this community, as well as had so much enjoyment from collecting various digital timepieces. No need to fight about who's is better, bigger, brighter, clearer, etc. It all comes down to what YOU enjoy on your wrist.

And whith that, I must say I certainly enjoy my Seiko budget EPD, so in appreciation here's some photos of it trying to emulate my giant Flip Clock this morning. :grin1:

I think it did a pretty good job, though I know the digits on my EPD also look alot like my cell phones, it must be a purely utilitarian design, as even vintage flip clocks have the same font from the 70's for ease of quick readability. :-D

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post08 Aug 2013, 19:40

Since we are posting photos ... ;)

You can see the ghosting in this photo

And Ventura Sigma for today :)

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Aug 2013, 22:03

Nice Photos sotckae92.

I've noticed the ghosting happens more when the EPD watches get hotter. It's definately temperature related with my SBPA 007 model. At normal room temperatures say in the 70's there's no ghosting when the digits change, but ghosting starts to happen when I'm outside, the watch is in full sunlight and it's in the 80's plus the heat from my sweaty wrist. I just accept it as part of the quirkyness that is an EPD display. :-D

Nice Ventura btw, I do enjoy the smoothly curved digits on that display, plus the contrast it's able to achieve being a negative LCD.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post08 Aug 2013, 23:16

Every time I see a Sigma it makes me think of..

Next

Return to Modern Digitals