Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

40% OFF VENTURA SPARC/SIGMA MGS

Post23 Mar 2014, 12:14

http://www.watchismo.com/sparc-mgs.aspx
I feel sorry for anyone who has just shelled out top whack for these.This shows just how high profit margins are on these.Ventura has always discouraged discounts,in the hope of protecting the brands "exclusive" image.However ,even at this discount the retailer isnt loosing money.
Over the "troubled " Ventura years they have suffered this before,with huge discounts available due to various problems.This dose have a negative effect,on all parties .It affects brand image and perceived quality .I have seen a few Venturas in mint condition sell on ebay for between £2/300.
I dabbled with Ventura some time ago and despite the hype ,found them to suffer quality control problems .
The problem with all digitals is their inability to be taken seriously with most of the public,even a £3000 Ventura will fail to get anywhere near its price if you ask the public.( probably around a quarter of its price at most)The digital image was ruined in the late 70s, and i fear its geeky ,low rent image will follow it around forever. :cry:

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: 40% OFF VENTURA SPARC/SIGMA MGS

Post23 Mar 2014, 12:25

Maybe they just want to get rid of their stock which does not mean they sell under their purchase price. Regarding digital watches you might be right for the western countries of this world. But this image might change in the future with other countries picking up.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Mar 2014, 13:50

Whilst i dont quite understand your reply,i do know that Ventura dont approve of any discounted prices,i know as when i was also offered one from a registered dealer at a discount ,the Manufacturer was quick to get in touch asking who it was.
In all honesty,i feel Ventura prices even at a 50% reduction is still top whack for a modern digital watch ,no matter who styled/designed it,or its "engine" and display font.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post23 Mar 2014, 19:14

Interesting discussion ...a few weeks ago, i've read somewhere that the high end watches stands for 80% of the total watchmarket. So only filthy rich people keep this market alive like so many other markets.
In the 70ties and 80ties most companies grew big because they were the first to produce something, they had a very big profit margin and had to expand very rapidly to recuperate there costs. But from half the 80ties, more companies had find the way to produce cheaper and build on the same wave of profits like the first big companies. But this also means that the total turnover in that market had to be shared with more companies, so less profit.
From then on, 90ties, the new method was to try to to be the market dominator. Buy your closed competition out so you can keep your high profits. This is still going on right now. The only problem now is that the companies are getting so big that it's not good anymore for competition and society. No innovation anymore, no great idea's anymore that stand a chance etc.
Thats why kickstarter and others is the new way of doing business from 2010 for me. It's takes the idea's back to the people.

All the other companies that survive now are having an unique product so they can keep asking high end prices or are super multinationals who have domination on there market.
Other companies like Ventura are to small to make a difference in this world so they try to build something for the high end market, it's the only way to survive for them. Off course there product is way to expensive, but don't forget...being creative is also worth something. I really like this Ventura Sparc at a price about 2000 euro maybe 2500 euro, but thats the max. Don't forget you can buy a automatic digital from Hamilton for 1000 euro.

For that price i really would like to have some creative lighting for at night and a alarmsound that sounds like Putin his balls banging at the biggest church in Europe. :grin1:

just my 2 cents :dwf:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post24 Mar 2014, 04:13

I think a watch has to have some edge visually to succeed. The old Optels and Micromas had quite distinct looks, especially for their time. I wish Ventura had matched the movement with a better designed display. It would have been awesome if they had been able to innovate a DSM type of display with modern standards of power consumption and also use a more outstanding/differentiated font type. This would have completed the whole package and make it relatively unique amongst modern watches with better support/justification for their price point (IMHO).

If they up the discount some more I might be tempted though ..... ;-)

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Mar 2014, 18:10

AAAAAARGGGH! :bang:
Now i wish i hadn't bought a Girard Perregaux Makrolon last month. M:)W:)M

:ironie:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post25 Mar 2014, 00:49

I love my Ventura and I do enjoy their design. I really want them to do well. But in reality, not a lot of people are willing to shell out top dollar for a watch with digital read out. Even at their 40% discounted price, that's still some haffty change for a lot of people.

To me, if they are unable to get widing recognition for their design and innovation, its difficult for them to continue with their currenty pricing policy.

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post25 Mar 2014, 03:53

Cesar wrote:AAAAAARGGGH! :bang:
Now i wish i hadn't bought a Girard Perregaux Makrolon last month. M:)W:)M

:ironie:

Happy to help you out there ;-)

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post01 Apr 2014, 01:46

Looks like some of them were sold out at that price, the Sigma MGS and the SPARC MGS on bracelet. :)

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Apr 2014, 20:31

Big,big changes at Ventura,Mr Nobs is no longer involved.
Huge TEMPORARY price reductions.
MGS models all half price ..... Interesting to know what's going on here.Some of these models are sure fire classics Re original "Nicholas Cage" Sigma....:eek:

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post24 Apr 2014, 20:59

Man, that's tempting to buy my second Ventura. But this also worries me about the health of the company. I really hope they can pull it through.

I would love to know whats going on as well.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Apr 2014, 21:08

Company restructure i believe, sad to hear Mr Nobs is no longer there with him being the founder...Still time will tell. As with many companies,changes have to be made on a regular basis.Ventura have some amazing products.As far as i know,these prices are very much a temporary special.
Can anyone else add any info?

Return to Modern Digitals