Discussion on MODERN LED, LCD, OLED and E-INK watches
  • Author

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Junghans MEGA 1000 - I've got it!

Post12 May 2005, 00:37

Hi folks,

today I received my Junghans MEGA 1000. This watch is absolutely stunning. The version with the SS bracelet weighs a whopping 170 gramms (6 ounces)! This watch is HUGE, like the Omega Speedmaster 125. The dark (negative) LCD is absolutely great! The more light will shine on the display, the lighter (and more contrastful) the digits will be. In the darkness you can backlight the display, but not in the usual way as you may know from EL - lighted watches: the background stays black and the digits light up in a powerful medium blue tone! Forget about the MIB watch, this is the real thing! I'm gonna make photographs over the weekend.

Markus.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Junghans MEGA 1000 - I've got it!

Post12 May 2005, 02:40

I got mine 2 days ago (the SS bracelet version), and thought some of you might be interested in a short review. Markus was faster ;-)

Download PDF manual

First impression
It is HUGE! The face (crystal) alone measures 37mm x 32mm.
It is heavy: 160g (with 2 links removed).
I like it :D :D :D
Really good design - the trapezoid-shaped light button is just one example of a nice detail.

Satin dark grey finish, titanium-like.
Workmanship is absolutely perfect.
Stiff massive bracelet, double folding clasp. Adjustment is possible in 8.5mm steps by removing links (by pressing out the pins; tool is not included).

The display contrast is ok, but viewing angle is a bit narrow. The Ventura vtec alpha display is definitely better.
Very good blue EL backlight.

Functions
Time (up to 3 time zones; 5 display modes, one of them shows the week)
Chronograph up to 99:59:59.99, 10 lap times
Contdown timer, max 99:59:59
One-time alarm (reconfigurable daily alarm, see "Undocumented features")
The alarm is 2-tone and stops after 10 sec. Not long enough to wake ME up ;-).

Time signal reciever
I have 2 radio-controlled digital alarm clocks, and there are some places in my appartment where neither the Mega 1000 nor the clocks can receive a signal. I'd say the Mega 1000 is just as good as the clocks.
Interesting note: I manually synchronized both clocks and the Mega 1000. Afterwards, the clocks showed absolutely the same time, but the Mega 1000 was about 0.2 sec later. I repeated it - same result. Now who is right - the clocks, or the Mega 1000?

Operating the watch
Easy and straightforward.
The right buttons are for setting up and down. To set the timer or alarm time, you needn't activate a setting mode, but simply press one of these buttons to change the time.
But:
1) The buttons sometimes grind a bit when pressed, they don't run smootly. I guess this is due to the satin finish.
2) Timer setting can take quite long (see "Setting details"). I prefer the method of setting minutes and hours separately, it is generally faster.

Undocumented features 8)

In Timer mode, you can reset to 00:00:00 by pressing both setting buttons for 2 sec.

In Alarm mode, press both setting buttons for 8sec. "SET AL 24" appears. You can then toggle between "SET AL 24" and "SET AL --".
It took some time to find it out, but the effect is:
With "SET AL 24", the alarm is not automatically disabled when it goes off, so it will repeat every 24hrs.
With "SET AL --", the alarm is disabled after going off, it will not repeat after 24hrs (one-time alarm). This is the default setting, and the behaviour mentioned in the manual.
The change is permanent, so you don't have to make this adjustment every time you set the alarm.

Addition 2005-10-09:
Factory reset and version readout (refer to manual for button names T1..T5):
1. Press T1+T2+T4 altogether until the LCD switches off.
2. Release T2+T4, then T1 (it's important not to release T1 before the others). The watch beeps and all segments are on.
3. Now press T5. The display shows "VER 01 JH" in the top row. I guess this is a version number. The "0001" in the time display seems to be a test sequence number (pressing T4, T1, T2, T3, T5 in this order advances it up to 0006).
T3 instead of T5 in step 3 starts a different test sequence, again you cycle through it with T4, T1, T2, T3.
Pressing an out-of-sequence button restarts the watch with default factory settings and starts synchronization. I found no way to read the version without restarting the watch.

Conclusion
Heavy chunky stunning beauty.
Highly recommended!

On time setting
I spent some time with analyzing the setting mechanism. I guess it's not very interesting (or even boring) for most people, but why not share the results:
When you press a setting button, auto-incrementing starts after 1 sec at a rate of 8 steps/sec. The rate is constant, but step width increases if you keep the button pressed for a longer time.

Timer setting
After 1 sec, it starts advancing in steps of 1 sec, 8 steps/sec, i.e. 0:00:08 h/sec
After another 11 sec (@ 1sec + 11*8*1sec = 0:01:29), step width changes to 16 sec, 8 steps/sec, i.e. 0:02:08 h/sec
After another 12 sec (@ 0:01:29 + 12*8*16sec = 0:27:05), step width changes to 451 sec, 8 steps/sec, i.e. 1:00:08 h/sec.

Say you want to set the timer from 0:00:00 to 0:10:00
1. Press UP button and release after exactly 16.0 sec. The display shows 01:29+4*02:08 = 10:01.
2. Press DOWN button once - voil? 10:00!
Now if you release the button a bit too early in 1., e.g. after 15.75sec, you'll be at 01:29+3.75*02:08 = 09:29. Then you'd have to press for another 4.75 sec to reach 10:00.
So practically you'll need minimum 25 sec to set the timer to 0:10:00!

Worst case: set timer to 50:00:00
1. Press UP button for exactly 61.5 sec. Display will show 50:03:41.
2. 0:03:41 to much, so press DOWN for another 13.0 sec. Display shows 50:00:04 (only 0.125 sec longer, and it'd be 49:59:48 )
Altogether, it will take about 80 sec to set the timer to 50:00:00.

Alarm setting
After 1 sec, it starts advancing in steps of 1 min, 8 steps/sec, i.e. 0:08 h/sec
After another 8 sec (@ 1min + 8*8*1min = 1:05h), step width changes to 6 min, 8 steps/sec, i.e. 0:48 h/sec
After another 6 sec (@ 1:05h + 6*8*6min = 5:53h), step width changes to 16 min, 8 steps/sec, i.e. 2:08 h/sec
To advance by 12:00h: press button for 17.75 sec -> 11:45, then another 2.75 sec -> 12:00.
Last edited by rewolf on 09 Oct 2005, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 May 2005, 17:59

It is good to know that they are starting to become available. Hopefully I will have mine in a few weeks.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post12 May 2005, 18:11

Thanks Kateshitikano for the review!!! What a beauty, finally a modern LCD watch I?m interested in... :D

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Post14 May 2005, 20:55

Ok, I've made some photographs:

Time display without anything in the top line:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/time1.jpg

Time display with full date (english, day, month, year) in the top line:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/time2.jpg

Time display with short date (english, day, month, calendar week) in the top line:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/time3.jpg

Time display with 2nd time zone in the top line:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/time4.jpg

Time display with full date (english, month, day, year) in the top line,
watch is running in 12-hour display mode
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/us_time.jpg

Time display in chronograph mode with split time in the top line:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/chrono.jpg

Left side of watch with trapezoid light button and open clasp:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/left.jpg

Bottom of watch is made of carbon:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/back.jpg

The watch in the gift box:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/inbox.jpg

Time display in night action with backlight:
http://www.klama.de/mega1000/night.jpg

There's not much more to write, thanks to Kateshitikano's excellent review.

All photographs have been made using a Nikon CoolPix 995 with a tripod.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post17 May 2005, 20:12

Nice photos, Markus :). They show the superb quality of workmanship in every detail, just look at the "bottom side" photo. On the "left side" photo you can see why the watch is so heavy, note these bracelet links, they are massive SS!
And I had forgotten to mention the big massive box...

Markus, did you compare time with another radio-controlled clock? I'd like to know if I'm the only one who experienced small discrepancies.

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Post17 May 2005, 21:02

kateshitikano wrote:Nice photos, Markus :). They show the superb quality of workmanship in every detail, just look at the "bottom side" photo. On the "left side" photo you can see why the watch is so heavy, note these bracelet links, they are massive SS!

Yeah, that's what I call "Heavy Duty"!

kateshitikano wrote:And I had forgotten to mention the big massive box...

Just lousy 450 gramms, allright for a watch of this calibre...

kateshitikano wrote:Markus, did you compare time with another radio-controlled clock? I'd like to know if I'm the only one who experienced small discrepancies.

The only other digital DCF77 clock in my household is a phone number (CID) logger with an integrated radio controlled clock. Looks like as if the Mega 1000 is about a quarter of a second behind...
Will try again after doing a sync on the Mega 1000.

Markus

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Post18 May 2005, 08:19

Just did another test against the radio controlled dashboard clock of an Audi A6. The Mega 1000 runs exactly synchronous to the Audi clock. Hmm, looks like there are two ways to "interpret" the DCF77 protocol. I've written an email to Junghans regarding this subject...

Markus.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post18 May 2005, 11:44

Now i've seen the photos (thanks Klama), i'm even more impressed. Considering the quality, the price almost seems cheap, certainly compared to the v-tec. Mind you i'd be iterested to know how durable the finish is?

Re timekeeping: If the watch is a constant quarter of a second behind the most accurate radio controled clocks, i'd not be too concerned myself, but if it starts loosing a quarter of a second a day then that's something else :)

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 May 2005, 11:54

I would be concerned if there is an observable offset. Perhaps Junghans can explain it.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post18 May 2005, 14:22

abacus wrote:Now i've seen the photos (thanks Klama), i'm even more impressed. Considering the quality, the price almost seems cheap, certainly compared to the v-tec. Mind you i'd be iterested to know how durable the finish is?
It's not hardened in any way, so I guess it's not very durable. After two days it was already worn off inside the strap where the folding clasp touches the strap (metal grinding on metal there).
abacus wrote:Re timekeeping: If the watch is a constant quarter of a second behind the most accurate radio controled clocks, i'd not be too concerned myself, but if it starts loosing a quarter of a second a day then that's something else :)
0.25sec per day (=3ppm) is not too bad for a quartz watch. It synchronizes every night at 2:00, so it could well be that it's a bit off-time in the evening. For this reason you can only accurately compare RC-clocks when they are both just synchronized.
klama wrote:Hmm, looks like there are two ways to "interpret" the DCF77 protocol. I've written an email to Junghans regarding this subject...
Yes there are 2 ways: the correct and the wrong way :wink:. The DCF77 protocol syncs seconds on the falling edge of the carrier signal. If you sync on the rising edge, you'll be 0.1 or 0.2 sec late, depending on the value of the 1st bit in the data telegram. I don't believe Junghans made this mistake.
I'm curious what Junghans answers.

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Post18 May 2005, 21:54

Ok, now some more explanations:

when I made the 1st comparison test at home, the watch was without sync for three days. That's because the DCF77 reception is lousy at my home (I'm living in a small valley surrounded by steep hills from three sides). In this situation there was a delay of about 1/4 second compared to my phone logger clock. My phone logger clock has a permanent display indicator for signal reception and although it was showing a good signal, the Mega 1000 could not perform a forced sync. Reception capabilities of clocks with full size coil antennas still seem to be better...
Last night the Mega 1000 managed to sync (seems like I've found the right spot to place it during the night :D) and in the morning when I did the test with the Audi clock, there were no delays (not visible, at least).
In the office (where DCF77 reception is good) I performed a forced resync and back home I checked again with the phone logger clock: same result - about 1/4 second later than the phone logger.

Conclusion: the watch does not gain nor lose seconds over the time. If it runs as a quartz clock, it is VERY accurate. Junghans has answered my email and they told me something about delays in the data processing due to reduced computing power (compared to other full size clocks). I'm not quite satisfied with their answer right now so I will be asking more questions. If I have more details, I'll tell you.

Markus.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post18 May 2005, 23:20

klama wrote:Junghans has answered my email and they told me something about delays in the data processing due to reduced computing power (compared to other full size clocks).
Ok, they admit there is a problem. The watch IS late. Poor programming, I'd say. I don't believe that the Mega 1000 has less processing power or more data to process than a 15EUR alarm clock with calendar, date, time, temperature and 2 alarms all at once on display. Would be interesting to know what kind of microcontroller they use. I dare not hope it's updateable...

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post19 May 2005, 21:57

I emailed Junghans, and they even replied, but the answer is not very satisfying:

1. "Part of the delay is caused by the slow response of the LCD."
Sure, we all know LCDs are slower than LEDs. But if the LCD was that slow, one would observe a smooth transition between segment on and off. One would only see an "8" in the 1/10 sec of the running stopwatch or when setting time (8 increments per sec). But there is no noticeable transition.
Conclusion: the LCD response time is clearly faster than 1/10 sec.
And I compared the Mega with other LCD clocks. These should have a similar delay, thus no difference.

2. "The receiver causes some delay. The weaker the signal, the more. About 40-50 millisec is possible, says the development department."
This sounds reasonable. The signal has to be filtered, filtering causes delay.

Adding both effects leads to 100ms, at most 150. But we observe much more. They conceal something... :wink:

3. "This behaviour is not a bug, it is by design."
I didn't presume it's a bug. I only wrote what I observed and asked for an explanation. So did they send me the standard answer for customers complaining about the delay?

However, the watch is like it is, I can't change it and I'm still happy with it :)
Perfection is boring :wink:

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post19 May 2005, 22:50

Awww, rats! Just dont think of it being "late", rather think of all other radio-controlled clocks as being "early"... :wink:

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Post19 May 2005, 22:52

Got another reply from Junghans: one of their engineers will be calling me tomorrow. Since I told them that I'm doing computer controlled hardware design for 20 years now they will hopefully take me more seriously now.

Markus.

klama

Nerd

Nerd

Post19 May 2005, 23:00

kateshitikano wrote:...
3. "This behaviour is not a bug, it is by design."
I didn't presume it's a bug. I only wrote what I observed and asked for an explanation. So did they send me the standard answer for customers complaining about the delay?

I think that I wrote my 1st email to Junghans earlier than you. And I wrote that I suspect a software bug. :( So I assume they copied the email they sent to me to you, too. :wink:

Markus.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post20 May 2005, 00:05

Markus, I sent you a copy of Junghans' reply.
And we seem to have the same profession :)

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 May 2005, 11:54

Does the watch need a recall already? Is the behavior only for the DF77 transmitter and not for the Japanese and US ones?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post27 May 2005, 00:09

According to the printed manual, the watch is only for DCF77 - you're lucky if yours works in the US :)
Did you try and compare with http://nist.time.gov?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post02 Jun 2005, 21:21

I asked Junghans why they only mention DCF77 in the printed manual, but advertise it as "multi frequency" everywhere else (homepage, online shops, PDF manual, even on the back side of the watch).

The answer: they found out too late that it does not work properly with 60kHz signals due to some interference with the display. This affects WWVB (USA) and JJY60 (southern Japan), but DCF77 (central Europe) and JJY40 (central/northern Japan) are ok.
If you live not too far from WWVB (Fort Collins, Colorado), it could work, but there's no guarantee.
That's the reason why they currently sell it only in Germany.

They will fix this and the new version is scheduled for the beginning of Oct. 2005.

The lady I phoned with didn't know if the 0.25s deviation will also be fixed.

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Jun 2005, 11:55

Can I get mine repaired or do I have to buy a new one in October?
Next

Return to Modern Digitals