It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:32

Qualitron led watch pen

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Qualitron led watch pen

Post27 Aug 2006, 00:18

Anyone got any idea how to set one of these? Lovely bit of kit, but it's got me stumped.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: Qualitron led watch pen

Post01 Sep 2006, 17:14

digibloke wrote:Anyone got any idea how to set one of these? Lovely bit of kit, but it's got me stumped.

The setting button is inside, you have to get the clock part off, there is a metal button you can push to get into setting mode.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Sep 2006, 23:37

Thanks v' much for that. I found it (in the middle of the screw on battery cover) and it works.

Now it's taking all of my willpower not to take it apart to find out how it works :wink:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post01 Sep 2006, 23:45

Digi - Don't try to pull out of the tube! I bought a lot of 4 of the CompuChron LCD Pens and felt safe pulling one apart....it wasn't that easy, they had glued the guts in! But hey, the search for knowledge is never cheap. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Sep 2006, 12:39

So what did you learn little1up? How the pen works, or that people best not try to find out how the pen works :) If it's glued, does thst mean the pen is unfixable if i goes wrong?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post02 Sep 2006, 18:20

I learned it has an incredibly tiny little circuit on an incredibly tiny board. Two simple contacts, one that closes when you press the end of the pen, the other when you depress the button in the end. Just not very user friendly for dissassembly. I'd suggest using it, and if it dies perform a complete and thorough autopsy. The battery will probably flip-flop when shaken out of the barrel(accessed by removing the ink cartridge) - it goes into the barrel,"+" toward the module.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post02 Sep 2006, 19:22

Thinking of how old this tech is, I must admit its a little wonder of micro technology. Its the smallest LED module ever built and it even features date, dow, seconds, etc. Bow down to the marvel of ancient micro-technology. 8)

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Sep 2006, 23:32

And mine still writes as well :D

Right. Back to my memoirs...

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets