It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:48

Nixie tube watches

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

siriuswatchco

Nixie tube watches

Post22 Aug 2008, 04:14

Hi every one, I am about to begin producing a new nixie tube wristwatch and shall be posing some pictures soon of the watch.I have seen and was inspired by the watches from J Thomas and Cathode corner .So I decided to make one for myself, and produce them for people who truly want something unique and just plain different.I am also working on an OLED watch and a LED version too. So watch this space
'Time is eternal'

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Nixie tube watches

Post22 Aug 2008, 15:32

Intriguing!!

I liked the J. Thomas nixie watches, never got a chance to purchase one, production had ended before I came across them :-(

I love anything unique and different, who wants to blend in with the crowd .............. It's only dead fish that go with the flow!

Watch this space ..... How long for?

Regards Mick.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Sep 2008, 17:03

Same for me, I noticed Jeff's Nixie watch just a tad to late to purchase one, but wasn't too late to get one of his IN-18 Nixichron's though 8-)

otherwise, everything Mick said :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Sep 2008, 21:45

I'm not familiar with the IN-18 Nixichron's, would love to see a picture if you have one.
Regards Mick.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Sep 2008, 03:40

Hey Mick, found time to take three photos of it this weekend.

I have the brightness of the tubes set at "3" in these photos taken at night, but during the day brightness goes to "9" it's a real favorite among my family and friends that see it.

Image[/img]

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post29 Sep 2008, 16:31

Thanks for the photo's - they are excellent!

I have noticed the nixie tube clocks, there are other pictures elsewhere on the forum and also they are on sale at ebay, some are for sale complete and some as kits to build yourself.

I am tempted to buy a kit, I would like to have a go at building one and gain a bit of soldering practice, plus I like the clocks, so I would be on a winner all around.

Is there anyone with any experience at building these clocks up who can tell me how difficult it is (for a novice) to do?

Regards Mick

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post29 Sep 2008, 20:58

Mick, just do it. I succumbed this morning and ordered one of the kits. I have a mini Marshall guitar amp that is the intended case. :lol: Talk about tube amplifiers. :mrgreen:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post30 Sep 2008, 00:45

My first nixie clock kit came frome here - http://www.nixieclocks.de/english/index.php

The tubes you see here are the smaller and very much cheaper IN-8-2 tubes (buy from Russia as they are the best quality) have a go with the smaller kit to get a feel for it before spending lots of money on the bigger tubes. One thing to take into account is buliding a nice housing for the electronics what you see above cost me around £100 in materials plus the price of the kit and tubes, not cheap by any means but worth every penny... :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post30 Sep 2008, 14:43

Thank you for the tips, starting with the smaller kit sounds like a good idea.

I have decided to give it a go, but in a few weeks when I have more time to dedicate to it.

Klippie : Your clock looks amazing :!:

I have just had a browse of the site via your link, it looks really good and I noticed they also had some really nice reasonably priced cases, the site seems to have a glitch and it would not let me register to have a good look around at this time but I shall try again later.

Can you get the nixie clocks with a audible alarm? I would think you could but I have not seen them offered.

Regards Mick.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post30 Sep 2008, 15:48

Klippie -I'm curious what size digits yours has. The one I ordered has 13mm tall digits, but they had another with 9mm! A little dissapointing on the size, being a child of the '60s I was hoping for something with some 3-4"(8-10cm) tall tubes with digits 2-3X as big as these. But it is a start - sure the wife will consider it a complete waste of money. :lol: I suppose I could have looked further, but I was geeked at building something for myself for a change(although, I have done a lot of work on one of my guitars lately, turning an old fretted bass into a fretless,fresh electronics...). I ordered from www.allspectrum.com - any suggestions on other good sites/suppliers would be great. 8-)
Oh, and great looking finish on yours, really professional looking.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post02 Oct 2008, 00:19

Mick,

I'am sure I've seen a nixie clock kit somewhere with an alarm function but I can't remember, sorry...

Thanks for the praise about my clock it took a lot of effort and lots of time, I'am chuffed to bits with it... :-D

Ed,

The digits are about 3/4" (18mm) in height. One thing I forgot to mention about tubes, beware as some of the smaller size tubes (not the IN-8-2) the number 2 and 5 are used for the same display with the 2 upside down to look like a 5 which looks terrible. You mentioned about large size digits, above the 18mm size nixie tubes get very expensive.

I've bought these kits for future clock projects.

http://www.nixieclocks.de/english/nixieclockkit/pcbversion106/index.php

http://tubehobby.com/show_det.php?det=44

Here's a few links for nixie tube/clock info...

http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/trade01-nixie-tubes.htm

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/nixies.html

There is some amazing stuff to see in here if you dig around.
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/count.html

And thanks for the kind words about my clock, cheers... :-D

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 Oct 2008, 19:46

I have combined my interest in all things nixie with my interest in unusual watches and ordered a nixie tube watch from http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/watchmovie.html

If a nixie watch is good enough for Steve Wozniak the co-founder of Apple, it's good enough for me!
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/29/vide ... e-wozniak/

Unfortunately this means the nixie clock project will have to be put on hold for a few weeks until I can replenish my watch funds, or at least sneak a bit more past the wife :lol:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Nixie tube watches

Post03 Oct 2008, 19:57

bucko170 wrote:I have combined my interest in all things nixie with my interest in unusual watches and ordered a nixie tube watch from http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/watchmovie.html

"The nixie watch is in stock...".. I always thought it was not available any more. Now I'm seriously tempted.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post03 Oct 2008, 20:19

Yes David Forbes at cathode corner has the nixie watch back in stock, although I'm not sure how long for :shock: .

I didn't know they where available either I checked his site on the off chance (browsing) and was surprised to see them back in stock, I dived straight in so as not to miss out!

I have paid for mine and it should be ready for delivery early next week............Can't wait.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Oct 2008, 18:57

I said that after buying the nixie watch I would have to replenish my funds or sneak some money past the wife.

Well whilst the wife was at Bingo last night I took the sneaky option and purchased a nixie clock kit identical to this one.............

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nixie-Tube-Clock-Ki ... 286.c0.m14

Hmmmm............. All I have to do is get to the mail first, find somewhere to build it up without her knowledge then find an explanation as to why a nixie clock has suddenly materalized itself into the house :twisted:

Ooops Do you think flowers will work?

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Oct 2008, 00:52

Hehe, Mick there's a few simple rules when a wife is involved....

1. When you buy something for yourself, and exact equal amount of money has to go into a gift for the wife, usually in the form of a shiny rock.

2. You may want to take her out to dinner just a few days before your things arrive, it helps take the edge off because the nice dinner you gave her is still fresh in her mind after you get your stuff.

:lol:

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2008, 14:47

3. Have it shipped to your workplace

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2008, 14:47

3. Have it shipped to your workplace

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2008, 16:02

Superb idea's :
To late to have it posted to the workplace, good idea though, was this one born out of experience :lol:

I may end up paying for a meal at a nice restaurant and having to spend an equal amount on a gift for her, although an equal amount for my wife is usually 3 - 4 times more than I originally spent on myself :lol:

As an alternative do you think this will work.......
Darling look what I've brought for YOU ......... :?:
Followed by............
Have you lost weight?
Wow those clothes make your bum look really tiny!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Nixie tube watches

Post05 Oct 2008, 20:11

bucko170 wrote:Superb idea's :
To late to have it posted to the workplace, good idea though, was this one born out of experience :lol:
Rather not - I live alone ;-)

bucko170 wrote:As an alternative do you think this will work.......
Wow those clothes make your bum look really tiny!
That one is dangerous - it depends on how she REALLY feels about her rear side ;-). Better use something like "gives a perfect shape". IMHO it's rather a matter of shape than size, and the range of acceptable size is quite large as long as it's nicely shaped :-) (are we OT now?)

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post06 Oct 2008, 06:54

That one is dangerous - it depends on how she REALLY feels about her rear side . Better use something like "gives a perfect shape". IMHO it's rather a matter of shape than size, and the range of acceptable size is quite large as long as it's nicely shaped (are we OT now?)

Off Topic - perhaps. But right on target IMHO. ;-)
As for the 'shipping to work' - I prefer to have it shipped to a more secure address; in my case, my father's house. He's close by, retired (home alot) and I don't have to worry about some incompetent in the mail room losing my precious purchase. Or worse yet, someone stealing it.
Something to think about for future purchases...

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post29 Oct 2008, 19:31

RE: Nixie Watch.

Seems to have took an age but I have checked the parcel tracking number and the watch has cleared customs in the UK at 2pm today and so the wait should be over pretty soon........horray.

The nasty bit is going to be the custom charges :twisted:

These custom charges are enough to make anyone sick.... :~#

PS - I have not started building up the Nixie clock kit yet, clearing out the back log on my 'things to do' list before I make a start but i'm almost done ~:( ) ......how's everybody else's project progressing?
Next

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets