It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:38

Poll: Nixie Watch Beauty or Beast?

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets

Do you consider the Nixie watch a beauty or a beast?

Beauty
42%
Beast
37%
Neither/Undecided/Don't care
21%

Total votes : 19

• Author

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Poll: Nixie Watch Beauty or Beast?

Post14 Nov 2008, 19:59

Feedback I have received from the pictures of the Nixie watch I recently posted has given me cause to poll the question -

In your opinion is thie Nixie watch a beauty or a beast?

Please view the photo's and cast your vote, feel free to leave a comment, all comments are welcome whether good, bad or indifferent!

1 & 2. Front view (please excuse the finger print on the glass)

ImageImage

ImageImage

3. Front view with glass removed.
ImageImage

4. On the wrist displaying time (minutes.)
ImageImage

5. Back case.

6. Size comparison: Pulsar Big time along side Nixie Feckin' Big Time.
ImageImage

7. Size comparison Pulsar Big time & Pulsar Sport either size of the Nixie watch.
ImageImage

8. Side view (on the wrist.)
ImageImage

9. Close up of PCB.
ImageImage

10. On the wrist shot.
ImageImage

11. Pulsar sport v Nixie tube v Timberland HT2
ImageImage
Last edited by bucko170 on 15 Nov 2008, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Poll: Nixie Watch Beauty or Beast?

Post15 Nov 2008, 06:10

mick, it's big for sure, but i would wear it just for the uniqueness of it. it's definetly vintage technology. i wonder if those tubes can be gotten in any smaller size? i see you sold all your synchronar stuff. did you keep your rwr? i have had great success with the mkI/II's. i have 6 out of 7 running and keeping time. i just got 2 more sealed modules from howard. i trashed 2 mkIII/IV's tho. :oops: :oops: peter

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post15 Nov 2008, 16:07

mick, it's big for sure, but i would wear it just for the uniqueness of it. it's definetly vintage technology. i wonder if those tubes can be gotten in any smaller size? i see you sold all your synchronar stuff. did you keep your rwr? i have had great success with the mkI/II's. i have 6 out of 7 running and keeping time. i just got 2 more sealed modules from howard. i trashed 2 mkIII/IV's tho. peter

Thanks Pete.

The watch is definately unique (and big) if nothing else :lol:
Obviously I like it, although I appreciate that it is not going to be to everyone's taste, I would be interested to hear other people's opinions including the negative ones :twisted:

I lost heart with the Synchronar project, after successfully changing the cells I found that it was missing a digit :cry: I suppose I could of persevered, but I'd had my fun and it was time to move on to other projects. I will maybe have another go when I have gained more experience.

I still have my RWR Synchronar's, I would not part with those :!:

Congratulation 6 out of 7 working WOW.....huge respect :mrgreen: What are you going to do with them? Sell them? I wouldn't mind adding a dot matrix to my collection, maybe you could bear me in mind if you do decide to sell.

Thanks Mick.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: Poll: Nixie Watch Beauty or Beast?

Post15 Nov 2008, 16:58

bucko170 wrote:In your opinion is thie Nixie watch a beauty or a beast?
IMVHO, it's a beautiful beast, or a beasty beauty, or something like that.
Its shape is dictated by technical needs (size) and limited production possibilities (round case).
It's a minimalistic design. It looks that way simply because is was the best/easiest/only way to make it. It wasn't designed to please the eye or pretend anything. It has no superfluous elements. That makes it a good design.
So it does not please my eye, but its beauty is in its innards, its uniqueness, nerdiness, and last but not least in its creator's will to make it. So I vote for "beauty" - it's all just a matter of definition ;-)
I would wear it, definitely. I'm even thinking about getting me one ;-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post15 Nov 2008, 17:16

Thanks Rewolf!
Interesting thoughts - maybe in your case it would be just as fitting to vote for both beauty AND beast ;-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post17 Nov 2008, 14:05

With 7 votes cast I must say I am surprised at the results so far, 4 votes for beauty and no votes for beast, I was expecting people to either love or hate it and the votes to be split evenly(ish) between beauty and beast :eek:

I will watch with interest for any further votes :!:

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2009, 18:17

Love the watch, imho its a privilege to own one of these, wear it with pride.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post16 Mar 2009, 19:11

I love it...having grown up with tube radios and amplifiers, how could I not. Too bad we can't get the creator to assemble a few kit packages for other people to take a shot at making a unique piece, within the limitations of the tubes. I'll cut to the chase - I was thinking those tubes would look cool inside a Synchronar bezel. Just for fun. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2009, 22:35

Thank you for your comments.

I was thinking those tubes would look cool inside a Synchronar bezel.

I agree placing the tubes side by side to display when viewed from the top where the solar's traditionally fit would look good especially so within one of the clear Synchronar cases IMO, looking at the size of the tubes, battery, PCB it would be a challenge to make it fit though!

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Mar 2009, 21:43

Nice watch but too large to wear for a 6" wrist.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2009, 01:02

Yes it's a big bugger!

I suppose the dimensions of the watch where governed by the size of the Nixie tubes!

I like it, its a great conversational piece and it always attracts attention - although I tend to get asked "WTF is that?" quite alot when I'm wearing it :lol: :lol:

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Dec 2011, 18:04

I have one of these so of course think it's a beauty. :-D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post30 Dec 2011, 19:26

I love the idea of using nixie tubes in a wristwatch but it's not the most practical or best looking watch in the world, it would be great to see the next generation of nixie watch by Jeff Thomas.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Poll: Nixie Watch Beauty or Beast?

Post30 Dec 2011, 19:43

bucko170 wrote:I like it, its a great conversational piece and it always attracts attention - although I tend to get asked "WTF is that?" quite alot when I'm wearing it :lol: :lol:
In your best robot voice you should answer, "that question does not compute." Or something simularly silly. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Poll: Nixie Watch Beauty or Beast?

Post30 Dec 2011, 21:32

bucko170 wrote:I love the idea of using nixie tubes in a wristwatch but it's not the most practical or best looking watch in the world, it would be great to see the next generation of nixie watch by Jeff Thomas.

Me too, this summer i sent him an e-mail asking him to put me on his list for when it is ready....at that time he said he was hoping to have it ready at year end...
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post06 Jan 2012, 02:57

I like this watch concept but not the style, I would like to see the watch case match the age of the tubes.

It's a cool watch, Jeff Thomas designed the first one, using 4 tubes and no micro controller!!.

Michel
Last edited by cobra007 on 31 Jan 2012, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Jan 2012, 17:24

Sounds great, any idea when you'll have this watch ready? :-D

ronaldheld

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Jan 2012, 19:04

looking forward to seeing the final product.
Does anyone make a 4 tube display anymore?

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Jan 2012, 19:06

Not that i know, the only 4 tube version is Jeff Thomas his.
It's really big also, but very . 8-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 Jan 2012, 19:19

The nixie redux that Jeff Thomas is working on is a four tube display in a driver style case. I have been in contact with Jeff and he says it will be available soon. 8-)

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Jan 2012, 19:43

Isn't it really a 3(0-9)+1 tube display
where the first tube is kind of a nixie "I" led for the 10+ hours?
But i suppose it's 4 tubes. :-?

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post06 Jan 2012, 23:59

I got the basic concept drawn out, which means, the tubes to use, the battery, electronic setup, the cases and the watch strap.

The watch won't have a tilt sensor but an optical system, moving your hand across the watch (like when you want to put your sleeves up) will trigger the time display. Also, it won't have push buttons to set the time, just quickly waving a finger across the optical sensor will change the hours/minutes.

It will also be a very accurate time keeper (better than 1 sec per week). My domino clock keeps the accuracy better than 1 sec per month!

I am waiting for the nixie tubes to arrive, then do some testing. If that goes well (and believe me, it WILL go well :-) ), I can design the different circuit boards.

I'd say, about 3 - 5 months from now. I will see if I can make a photoshop composition of the watch, to attract your interest.

Sure it will be a 2 tube watch, 4 tubes is just not practical for a daily watch. From my domino watch I do not see any drawback when only 2 tubes are used. You can always change the delay between the displayed hours and minutes, it works very well and is also very convenient.

Mvg, Michel

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets