It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:18

My Frankenstein project!

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: My Frankenstein project!

Post30 Jan 2010, 21:40

Sully,

It's really neat to see the multicolored "Pulsar"s all lined up!

Would it be possible to shoehorn the new module into other Pulsar cases, say a P4 exec (my personal favorite)? I'm guessing that there's probably only enough room in a P2/P3 case, but if it were possible to squeeze it into a P4 case, I'd be inclined to give this a try.

If it were possible for you to post an image comparing the new module side by side with the original Pulsar module outside of the case, that would be most instructive.

-abe.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : My Frankenstein project!

Post31 Jan 2010, 00:14

Hi Abe,

I don't know if it'll fit in a P4 case, as I don't own an Executive (yet). But I'll take a pic of the module with an original one for size comparsion. I have a feeling it's way too big for it to fit.

Mike

abem wrote:Sully,

It's really neat to see the multicolored "Pulsar"s all lined up!

Would it be possible to shoehorn the new module into other Pulsar cases, say a P4 exec (my personal favorite)? I'm guessing that there's probably only enough room in a P2/P3 case, but if it were possible to squeeze it into a P4 case, I'd be inclined to give this a try.

If it were possible for you to post an image comparing the new module side by side with the original Pulsar module outside of the case, that would be most instructive.

-abe.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post31 Jan 2010, 00:52

Just comparing to the P4 cases, I think it might just be possible, but you would have machine out some metal to accomodate the width of the module [and that is already allowing for rounding the corners of the module to fit a P3 case]. So, you could shoehorn it into a P4 case, but unless you have a milling machine of some kind, it's probably not a practical exercise. And, of course, with a Big Time or Exec, there is the additional complication of a curved crystal [at least, with a Classic, the crystal is interchangeable with a P3]. My own P3 project is coming along; will post a pic or two when it's done.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post31 Jan 2010, 03:49

In my ceaseless prowling the Internet, I accidentally discovered another potential source of the blue OLED modules. The Evisu Habara watch uses what appears to be the same module as the Lucky and DKNY watches. But, at US$200 or more, I'd consider this only as a last resort [this line also has the display in WHITE...never seen that before!]. There's a pair on eBay right now, one in blue, one in white, for $221 a copy. Interesting how this module has jumped from one to another, progressively more expensive, watch line.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post31 Jan 2010, 19:37

Okay, so here is a compilation of watch brands/models that used this particular module (OLED colour is indicated in brackets):

Lucky Brand (both blue and orange)
DKNY 1367/1368 (orange)
Kenneth Cole New York style #KC2516 (blue)
Diesel (I think, but I've never seen one)
Bench (blue)
Apus Infinity Dark/Bright Force (blue and WHITE)
Evisu Habara (blue and WHITE)

I've also put these in order of cost, with the Lucky Brand being the cheapest (~$45US) to the Evisu (~$220US). The only watches currently in production are the DKNY, Apus, and Evisu.

Hopefully the Apus and Evisu come down in price that is more affordable to use as donors.
Last edited by Sully008 on 01 Feb 2010, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Feb 2010, 08:39

Sully,

Nice roundup of watches containing this decent Chinese made OLED module. Here's one more. Kenneth Cole sells a black watch containing the blud OLED display ($150) as well as a copper colored one containing the white OLED (discontinued):
http://www.kennethcole.com/product/inde ... Id=3342685

-abe.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Feb 2010, 18:14

Good catch on the Kenneth Cole, abe. I've added it to the list, just in case anybody else wants to dig around on eBay for these. At $150US, it slides in between the DKNY and Bench.

abem wrote:Sully,

Nice roundup of watches containing this decent Chinese made OLED module. Here's one more. Kenneth Cole sells a black watch containing the blud OLED display ($150) as well as a copper colored one containing the white OLED (discontinued):
http://www.kennethcole.com/product/inde ... Id=3342685

-abe.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post19 Mar 2010, 14:47

DKNY 1367/1368 (orange)
Bench (blue)

I spotted another one on eBay 129 Euro so not cheap though -

Zentra Z27009 Spacetime

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Mar 2010, 17:14

DKNY 1367/1368 (orange)
Bench (blue)
Zentra Z27008(blue), Z27009(blue), Z270010(orange)

bucko170 wrote:I spotted another one on eBay 129 Euro so not cheap though -

I've added the Zentra to the list. They have 2 versions of the blue and one orange. Eventually these watches will become discontinued (like the Lucky Brands) and prices should drop.

james_stan

Techie

Techie

Post19 Mar 2010, 19:18

Zentra 98 Euros here..

http://www.wip-shop.com/product_info.ph ... e1cd9de25d

I don't have a pulsar case - just butting in really..

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: My Frankenstein project!

Post03 Sep 2012, 12:02

Both my Pulsar OLED conversions have stopped working, I have tried changing the batteries and using a stronger external magnet to ensure that the read switches were activating, nothing :-( .

Any one else had problems?

I don't have the skills to investigate further, if anyone can help please let me know.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post03 Sep 2012, 15:19

my new zentra oled watch (4 months old) also has display problem...the display is very dim..even with new batt in it...no idea why.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Sep 2012, 16:18

I'm wearing my MIIB blue version today, and for a second there the display would just cut out for no reason. I have a feeling the battery is going. Other than that it's been fine, same with my green one.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Sep 2012, 03:01

that's a cool display mike. are you doing anything with synchronars lately? peter

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Sep 2012, 16:49

Hi Peter!

Other than wearing them, not really. I've kinda moved on to trying my hand at building mechanical watches. But I still enjoy watching the red digits glow in the night. :-D

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post24 Oct 2012, 14:32

Ive just received an Evisu watch bought from eBay, new battery fitted and no display :( this is the second OLED watch I've bought, and the first one didn't work either. I would not recommend OLED to anyone, it appears they have around a 1 or 2 year life span then boom dead and unrepairable, looking around the net there's lots of people saying their OLED display watch has died.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Oct 2012, 17:27

Pity, it was nice to have a slightly different twist on a 70's Pulsar but it's not worth the hassle doing the conversion for a life span of only a couple of years (for me anyway), never mind I enjoyed them whilst they were working and maybe the cases will come in handy one day.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post20 Dec 2015, 21:08

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-128X32-12832-OLED-LCD-LED-Display-Module-Screen-Panel-with-Blue-Dots-/190383974413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c53c4e80d&rmvSB=true

anyone an idea that this could work??

the original oled display is a ssd1300T , it's an old one and not produced anymore. new ones are ssd1306 but not compatible.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -
Previous

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets