It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:46

My latest hybrid.

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

My latest hybrid.

Post11 Aug 2010, 19:11

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I sat down with my tools and put together a watch. The weather's been awesome this summer so I've been spending my time outdoors working on my car. These last couple days however, have been scorchers so I decided to enjoy the A/C and build me something. I hope no one's tired of these transplants just yet. :-D

As usual, I started with an orange OLED module from a Lucky Brand watch as the heart. I was going to do a blue one, but I've already got the blue MIB2 version, and a green version in a GP'd P3 case. I figured I do something a little different than a P3 case, so I used my early SS Hamilton QED for the patient. I really didn't feel like making a new filter for this so I left the original red one in place. I always thought that the rectangular shape of the crystal suited the OLED display better. The crystal's got some scratches on it, but I should be able to polish them out. On to the pics:

I tried making this module work in a GP'd QED case, but for some reason I couldn't get the reed switches oriented properly to work with that particular case. I guess I'll keep that for either an original or StrikesNSpares module. Also, the module was a tiny bit crooked when I took those pics. I've since corrected that.

Again, a nice upgrade to a modern module with vintage style, IMO.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: My latest hybrid.

Post11 Aug 2010, 19:20

8-) COOL 8-)

Another superb job !!!

I have to agree that the OLED display does look even better in the QED.

Would the module from this watch be a candidate for a transplant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVISU-SADAO-EV-7001 ... 500wt_1154

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Aug 2010, 20:01

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : My latest hybrid.

Post11 Aug 2010, 20:08

bucko170 wrote:8-) COOL 8-)
Would the module from this watch be a candidate for a transplant?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVISU-SADAO-EV-7001 ... 500wt_1154
Ahh, that's LCD, would not show through the glass.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post11 Aug 2010, 20:13

Excellent job Mike! It looks like it *could* be all original if one didn't know the history of the Hamilton QED.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Aug 2010, 21:24

Oooooooooh. Wow. Nice.

I've always thought that the P3 Frankies looked a little off with the Lucky/Apus modules (except for the fact that they nicely impersonate the MIB watch). The Hamilton case looks like it was made for these modules! Sweet. I love it.

I wonder if the P3 modules might look a little better using the OLED modules from the Fossil watches (JR9464 and JR9465). The Fossil OLED display has a nice font with a taller aspect ratio than the display of the Lucky/Apus watches, so it would aesthetically fit the Pulsar cases better. I've tried to fit one into a QED case and it's just a hair (maybe 1/16") too large along the diagonal, which I think could probably be managed. I'll post some photos later if anyone's interested in this module. The Fossil OLED modules have 4 buttons (next mode, prev mode, time/date, and animation), but you only really need two (time/date and next mode), so it could work. I find that the calendar mode is really useful since it actually displays a little calendar of the current month on the dot matrix display. The display is only available in blue so you'd need to use a blue or transparent crystal.

-abe.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Aug 2010, 22:41

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the compliments. I really like the look of this one, the OLED matches the line of the QED perfectly. Abe, if you could post pics of that module that'd be great. It looks like it could work, but you'll probably need a clear filter because of the multicolored display.

Just a heads up, there's a bunch of Apus Infinity watches for sale on eBay. The prices range from as high as $250US to $131US+shipping. I also saw one Lucky Brand orange OLED for $105US BIN.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post11 Aug 2010, 23:06

I like those Fossil brand OLED's Abem. I never seen them before...... I know, !@@! me!

Yes, I can see how it would look great in a Puslar case, filling up the screen so to speak. I like that brown band one just as it is.
I'll have to put that on my 'need to buy' list. Can you post pics of the calanser and any other display modes? Where did you pick them up ? The 'bay? What do they run?

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Aug 2010, 00:03

I'll post some pix when I get home tonight. These Fossil OLED watches came out in 2007 and were only around for about a year or so before sinking forever beneath the sands of time.

I have the brown one with the integrated band, which is comfortable, readable, reasonably attractive and decently constructed although the leather band is starting to show some wear as they tend to do. It ran about $120 new at the time. They turn up pretty frequently on the 'Bay for about $100 to $150, for example:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/RARE-NEW-FOSSIL-LEAT ... 0490157347

The display is fairly bright and readable with big square LED pixels and it has 5 different animated time displays with the digits dissolving, a little guy that karate chops the digits, a paint can that sprays the digits, etc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmq3f0lZ ... tube_gdata

-abe.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Aug 2010, 00:48

I was just checking out that youtube link of Abe's and saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU3b7c9FE_g

I wonder if these could be purchased??? The user is in Hong Kong, and Megan comes up on the OLED screen. At first glance the module looks exactly like the ones we use, but the screen looks bigger. My google searches have so far come up with nothing. I guess I could try contacting him through youtube...

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Aug 2010, 17:01

Here are a few photos of the Fossil OLED module. After a little sanding of the corners, it fits perfectly into the QED case, however, I found that the module is a little too tall to allow the case to close. I'm not sure if there's a workaround yet - this may be a showstopper. There are some round shims inside of the case which prevent the module from sliding all the way in, so perhaps there is a way to modifiy the case or module to get another 1/16".

Anyhoo, on to photos. Sorry 'bout the poor quality - I should have used better lighting but I was lazy and took them under an incandescent which wreaks havoc on the color balance.

Time Display:
Date Display:
Calandar Display (I really like this feature):
Module and Case:
Back of Module in Case:
CloseUp of Display Pixels:

-abe.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Aug 2010, 18:03

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post12 Aug 2010, 19:14

Looks good Abem - but IMHO I think a Pulsar P2 / 3 case would work better with this module because of the larger viewing area due to the larger crystal.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Aug 2010, 19:24

Jeff,

Hmm, well, I'd love to take you up on your offer except that I don't have a decent P2/P3 case to use or a blue crystal - just this beat up QED case front. If you'd like, however, I'd be happy to send you the module to tinker with.

Here's a super quickie rough Photoshop mock-up of what it would look like in a P2 case:

What I'd really like is to be able to use the module from my Aigo F029 MP3 watch with 160x128 OLED display. However, it has 6 buttons and I don't see an elegant solution to that problem!

-abe.
Last edited by abem on 12 Aug 2010, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Aug 2010, 19:33

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:40, edited 2 times in total.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Aug 2010, 19:42

Jeff,

Yeah, it'd probably need to be a P3. I've been watching for a stainless P2 Date for a while, but they're pretty hard to come by:
http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/pulsar9.htm

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to ask around to see what I can come up with. I've heard that Bruce's blue crystals are most excellent.

-abe.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post12 Aug 2010, 20:23

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to ask around to see what I can come up with. I've heard that Bruce's blue crystals are most excellent.

You heard right. :lol:

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Aug 2010, 22:34

I agree, a P3 will work better. Hmm....I have a SS P3 case sitting here doing nothing right now. :-D Thanks for those pics Abe, I've got some thinking to do now.

LEDluvr wrote:Looks good Abem - but IMHO I think a Pulsar P2 / 3 case would work better with this module because of the larger viewing area due to the larger crystal.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post12 Aug 2010, 22:40

I have a Date/2 case and bracelet, no logo on case, finished and ready to go, with blue crystal, for $175. Drop your OLED module in and you're ready to go. Postage included anywhere in the continental U.S. Crystals only, orange or blue, $40 including postage. Still waiting on the lettering template...

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

OK, What about this...

Post13 Aug 2010, 17:11

I know this would be expensive... but oh so cool! I wonder if there are any drivers style new "retro" modules that would fit a Synchronar case with dead guts. One of these could be the starting point.

Vintage Rare LED Solar Powered Digital Synchronar Watch

Rare Vintage Riehl Synchronar Watch w/ Box for Parts

It would be even cooler if the solar cells could be used but I wouldn't mind opening it up to refresh the batteries once a year. :)
- Shaun

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Re: OK, What about this...

Post13 Aug 2010, 18:52

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

Post13 Aug 2010, 21:35

Then who needs a hybrid Synchronar! :) I wasn't aware that there were more modules than cases out there. Interesting. I will keep an eye out for an affordable (for me) case. Thanks, Jeff.
- Shaun
Next

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets