It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:00

YES! The Domino Watch is ready!

Discussion on Nixies, Jump Hours and all other digital watches, clocks and gadgets
  • Author

cobra007

Techie

Techie

YES! The Domino Watch is ready!

Post25 Feb 2012, 12:16

I finally finished it, my Domino Watch.
Just over 3 years after my Domino Clock, the Domino Watch displays the time on a Domino-9 tile.
It revolves the hours, minutes and then seconds so that 1 tile is required to display the time.

It has an ambient light sensor so that the brightness is adjusted to the amount of ambient light. This produces an even contrast and saves battery power at the same time. Battery should last for over 4 years.

The picture is not very clear, but you get the idea :-)

Michel

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: YES! The Domino Watch is ready!

Post25 Feb 2012, 12:37

incredible..concrats. Is it for sale now?

Dikke proficiat!!
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post25 Feb 2012, 12:57

kasper wrote:incredible..concrats. Is it for sale now?

Dikke proficiat!!

Hi Kasper,

The guy who machined these cases for me (3 pieces) has let me know that he won't do more of them
as it is way too much work and everything needs to be very precise. I have had these ones machined
out of real domino tiles.

So I am facing 2 options, either buy a small table-top CNC machine, or else one of those entry level 3D printers. I actually prefer the 3D printer. So I will work on that in the coming months.

At the moment, I can only sell the movement, without the case. I did actually sell one to a Dutch guy (LED clock collector) a few weeks back.

Have a great weekend,
Michel

Cesar

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Feb 2012, 16:29

Hey Cobra,
Very interesting...how much would such a module cost and would the machining of the domino
Be something i could do with my dremel if i set my mind to it?

Looks nice still no idea how you read it though...instructions?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
The reason i collect watches is because it feels like i'm buying time.

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Feb 2012, 23:13

Big kudos to you for making your own watch, it's up there with building your own house.
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post27 Feb 2012, 03:44

Thanks for the positive comments!

Displaying the time is relatively simple if you know that the hours are displayed first following by the minutes.
Like this:

I first had a more complicated system in mind (see facebook):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Domino-Wa ... 0851018314

Mainly to display hours, minutes and seconds. But although the pointer indicators work well, it takes too much time to read the time and I noticed most of the time I just want to know the hours and minutes.

The modules are 95 euro including postage. If you are creative with a dremel, yes you might be able to make a case that way. It mainly depends on how accurate you want it to be. I kept all ratios the same as the original tiles, but if you're not too fussy about that, it will be easier to make a case.

The center dot is officially called a "spinner", in my case it is an ambient light sensor. The brightness of the LEDs will be adjusted according to the amount of ambient light so that they always appear in an even contrast.

Battery will last for very long, over 5 years with an average of 50 readings per day.

Michel

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post01 Mar 2012, 02:50

Tres cool cobra007. Hopefully you can a printer add then get into the watch making biz.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post01 Mar 2012, 09:40

Yes, I hope so too. It was actually a trial for my nixie watch, to see if I could get everything to work before jumping straight into a much bigger project. The software for the nixie watch is very similar to a domino watch, the tile uses 9 pips, the nixie watch 10 segments so it is very comparable.

I do hope to be able to purchase the 3D printer, an entry level one costs around AU$1200 so it's not too bad, but I need to check the specs before doing so.

Michel

Return to Other digital watches, clocks and gadgets