Posted a few pics of my tickers

For Stone Age Men (and Women) and their Toys
  • Author

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Posted a few pics of my tickers

Post29 Jun 2009, 22:59

A few of my favourite mechanicals in my modest collection, under.
70's_gal. http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/index.php?cat=10036

Cheers,
Sherry.
Too many watches, not enough wrists... ;-)

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Posted a few pics of my tickers

Post02 Jul 2009, 05:42

Welcome 70's gal. Nice collection you have there.
I know most 70's LED watches are considered 'small' by today's standards. Just wondering. do you like to wear the bigger men's watches in your collection?

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Re: : Posted a few pics of my tickers

Post02 Jul 2009, 08:59

LEDluvr wrote:Welcome 70's gal. Nice collection you have there.
I know most 70's LED watches are considered 'small' by today's standards. Just wondering. do you like to wear the bigger men's watches in your collection?

Yep. Way back in the 70's....long before large watches on women was fashionable...I bought that Orient King Diver for my work as a lifeguard and swim teacher because I just couldn't find a decent women's dive watch. I liked the size, and apart from when I have to dress up and be all girly for the occasional formal function, I wear the Big Ones. I rarely wear anything smaller than 32-33mm size (like my vintage Seamaster and Tudor), except my ladies' Pulsars.
Apart from looking good, my big watches (or men's, as you call them) have one huge advantage: I can read the dials without reading glasses!

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post03 Jul 2009, 05:19

Coool 70's gal.
I'm not sure what a Orient King Diver looks like, I'm guessing it isn't one of their LED models? I'de like to see a pic of the vintage Seamaster. I have an early 2000's model but I rarely wear it.

You make a good point about being able to see the watch face sans glasses. I'm not there yet but will be someday. With all your LED experience, what brand do you like best? I've gotten tired of these 'tiny display cheapies' myself.

As for Birks... I have only one. But it's a good one IMO. :-)

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Post03 Jul 2009, 07:20

LEDluvr wrote:Coool 70's gal.
I'm not sure what a Orient King Diver looks like, I'm guessing it isn't one of their LED models? I'de like to see a pic of the vintage Seamaster. I have an early 2000's model but I rarely wear it.

You make a good point about being able to see the watch face sans glasses. I'm not there yet but will be someday. With all your LED experience, what brand do you like best? I've gotten tired of these 'tiny display cheapies' myself.

As for Birks... I have only one. But it's a good one IMO. :-)

Nice Birks! I had a gold-tone one like that which I sold to another collector in Italy. Of all my LED's, I think I like my Pulsars best. Better built, easier to repair, better waterresistancy, and larger brighter displays. But anything with a real LED display sets my heart all aflutter. :-)
My Orient King Diver and Omega Seamaster are tickers (mechanicals), and can be seen in my photo gallery.
Seamaster (L)
http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/displayimage. ... 6&pos=-297
Orient (L)
http://www.dwf.nu/Gallery/displayimage. ... 6&pos=-299

Cheers,
S.

zzzzzz

Post26 Jul 2010, 08:13

70's_gal wrote:
LEDluvr wrote:Welcome 70's gal. Nice collection you have there.

Yep. Way back in the 70's....long before large watches on women was fashionable...I bought that Orient King Diver for my work as a lifeguard and swim teacher because I just couldn't find a decent women's dive watch. I liked the size, and apart from when I have to dress up and be all girly for the occasional formal function, I wear the Big Ones. I rarely wear anything smaller than 32-33mm size (like my vintage Seamaster and Tudor), except my ladies' Pulsars.
Apart from looking good, my big watches (or men's, as you call them) have one huge advantage: I can read the dials without reading glasses!

Yeah, personally I think that most women's watches are not for real live women, and even the women themselves seem to have trouble using them. (For the record, I am male.)
Donna Karan once made (or at least put their name on) a women's digital watch that used more or less "normal" digits, rather than "stick figure" digits. Don't ask me where to find one; I really don't know. If you manage to find one, then you might want to wear it when in "girly" mode.

jones38

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 Aug 2011, 21:57

Very diverse collection. I especially like that you mix mechanicals and digitals. I feel like too many people feel they can either have mechanicals or digitals, but not booth. Glad to see you have both in your collection.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post09 Aug 2011, 19:11

zzzzzz wrote:(For the record, I am male.)
Donna Karan once made (or at least put their name on) a women's digital watch that used more or less "normal" digits, rather than "stick figure" digits. Don't ask me where to find one; I really don't know. If you manage to find one, then you might want to wear it when in "girly" mode.
I have two of those I keep meaning to clean up. It's a cuff style watch with an oval face. Uses a Hughes 20 mm movement....so yeah, the digits are the same size & shape as anything loaded with the Hughes 25mm module. They crammed the same size display onto the 20mm. frame.
No matter how girly you are feeling, you'll need a 7" or smaller wrist. :mrgreen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Non - Digitals with Hands