It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 07:13

Pulsar Classic DOW time screen de lamination ?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

led-fan

Geek

Geek

Pulsar Classic DOW time screen de lamination ?

Post22 Oct 2011, 00:15

Hi

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

I have acquired a Pulsar Classic DOW I wish to refurbish. The SS body is scratched but the laminated screen is good.

I have refurbished a couple of Pulsars with good results, but I'm worried about this one !

Can I heat the watch to get the screen out or will I risk damaging the laminated screen ?.

I have seen a post on here saying that these screen de laminate with time so I'm a little nervous prospectively ruining the screen.

Comments welcome

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Pulsar Classic DOW time screen de lamination ?

Post22 Oct 2011, 17:18

Short answer - you are right to worry.

Longer answer: there are two distinctly different constructions of those screens.
(a) Two, almost same thickness, pieces of Saphire(synthetic) and red mineral glass, bonded together. Those actually don't delaminate much, you can occasionally pop one of those out with no damage. Put in cold oven, turn on to 350f., check after 5-6 minutes, and every 2 minutes thereafter. At some point it will push out easily.
(b)THick piece of Saphire with thin piece of red plastic film, like spotlight "gel", bonded to it with clear silicone. It will go to crap in the heat, but it can be reglued. Caveat - the logo which is painted onto the back of the Saphirre is generally just done with some type of common enamel, and will be lost while you are cleaning the old silicone off the Saphirre.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

led-fan

Geek

Geek

: Pulsar Classic DOW time screen de lamination ?

Post22 Oct 2011, 21:23

Hi Retroled

Many, many thanks for the good advice.

Sounds like I have b) The thicker clear sapphire top and the gel base. I can only see a thick clear section as I inspect it from the side and a logo sandwiched between the clear top and the red substrate.

I think that I will pass on refurbishing it as the sapphire crystal is in excellent unmarked condition

Thanks again :-)

Return to Electronical