It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 09:51

servicing a lcd seiko m154-5009

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

servicing a lcd seiko m154-5009

Post30 Oct 2011, 00:09

got this one from ebay

she was in a bad shape..scratches all over the place...i couldn't leave her there, so i gave her a treatment :-D
Why?? i think she looks so cute with her brother :-)

seiko m154-5009 released in 1978.

first things first..it isn't the normal band.

then getting her undressed :-D and clean her up..but the glass was in such a bad shape..i decided to try some polishing for the first time.
Not a good idea..i broke the glass, getting it to hot while polishing.

so i still had some glass plates from an old microscoop and i cut the a new glass myself.

this is a detail from the case polishing..looking sexy now :-)

the case with my hand made glass..nope i'm not sattified at all..will have to redo it later with better material.

then desaster strikes..when trying to get the case back on..the glass broke.

some questions to you all..i noticed that the seiko glass is a 2 layered glass..anyone know that i could buy such a glass..but in 40 mm diameter so i could cut it myself??

btw..she feels a lot better now :-D
Last edited by Kasper on 30 Oct 2011, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: servicing a lcd seiko m154-5009

Post30 Oct 2011, 01:10

When polishing the glass - keep water inside the case, to keep it cool. And nothing used to grind/polish glass should exceed 300-400 rpm. If you need higher speeds, you are using the wrong products. And don't go below (bigger size) 1500 grain or maybe 10-12micron with your abrasives. The mineral glass crystals/particles size is at a correct ratio with those size grains. With a courser abrasive, you are creating fresh "valleys" in the glass which are deeper than the size of the abrasive particles. Which means you work with the next finer abrasive will take much, much longer than the prior one. Glass is like a series of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - for any size glass crystal, the game is to knock off just the tip of the little peaks, without creating fresh, deep valleys by hitting the crystals too hard. Which creates a divot. :x

Noun 1. divot - (golf) the cavity left when a piece of turf is cut from the ground by the club head in making a stroke; "it was a good drive but the ball ended up in a divot"
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical