It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 05:13

Pictures of Another Tissot LCD - This ones so very dead

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

quietman

Techie

Techie

Pictures of Another Tissot LCD - This ones so very dead

Post18 Nov 2011, 02:38

So the other Tissot watch looked nice and clean from the outside but was dead beyond dead inside. I know some people like to see pictures of these things so there are a few here. I have harvested the housing, dial, clean glass/LCD, bulb and so on from the watch but will start to keep an eye out for a potential donor (I know it could take years....I have quite a few mechanical watches waiting for that one elusive 'not available anymore and even if you buy a donor it'll probably be broken in that too because it was always the weak link with that movement')

The glass printing is familiar. All of the pictures I've seen of the watches with case (and I presume module) style as in my previous Tissot post have faded red ink on the 'Sun' and 'pm' legends. All of the ones I've seen in this style of case (and I presume module) retain bright red ink.

The green plastic housing is marked Casio Japan

Here is where the doom becomes aparent. You can make a few cracks in the Ceramic PCB across the battery 'seat'.....

I did spend a little time looking at the repair potential but there were three real problems. The first was that gluing the board back together would probably retain significant weakness around the battery area (which is thinner ceraimc anyway - not so much X section to glue). The second was a missing component on the top of the board. The real killer though was that this is a 4 signal layer board. So some of the breaks have buried tracks on the interfaces that don't resurface anywhere except up through the board onto the controller (so nowhere to tack bypass connections....). I did have a play at gaining access to these tracks by grinding off some of the ceramic. Anyway, I think on a two sided board I might have tried gluing it and reconnecting with silver loaded something but this multilayer wreck was a bit far gone. You can see some of the buried tracks as grey smudges on the far right of this picture...

For those who are interested in such things the controller lurking under its ceramic shroud is an HD42141. With an HD prefix and that logo it was by Hitachi....

I was wondering whether, other than the two movements dissected here and in my previous Tissot post, there are any other similar looking (at the glass from the front...) movement variants that were made. I want to avoid buying a donor and finding that it won't work in my salvaged bits. I can obviously tell the difference between the two I have from the silk screen on the front (and the difference in battery hatch position). Are there any other significantly different variants that look the same as this dead Casio one or were there just the two variants here and in my previous post? Bit of an obscure question but someone may know.....

Rgds,

MP.

Old Tom

Wizard

Wizard

: Pictures of Another Tissot LCD - This ones so very dead

Post18 Nov 2011, 13:31

That module was used in the Casiotron S-11 (module 11). As far as I know all the pre Casio manufacture modules are different rather than being re-used/recased. S-11s are not that uncommon, but buy one that is WORKING!- Almost every module with a Hitachi chip in is very prone to failure for some odd reason, must be something in the fabrication- Hitachi eventually got out of chip/module production and sold the line off to a Company in Hong Kong (can never remember if it was Timetrends or Timedata) and the same tetchiness persisted in modules produced by the HK Co.

quietman

Techie

Techie

: Pictures of Another Tissot LCD - This ones so very dead

Post18 Nov 2011, 15:46

Many thanks for the information. Its always nice to get some of the background of these old pieces. And nothing like a few 'revealing' photos to tempt the experts out. :-)

I must admit that I've seen quite a few photos of these Casiotron/Tissot S-11 models, mostly dead - which kind of tallies with your comments on proliferation and on flakiness.

I'll keep an eye out.

Rgds,

MP.

Return to Electronical