It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:52

Hughes module?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Hughes module?

Post08 Nov 2005, 23:24

could this be a message-module?
when I push the A-contact it shows blinking A A A and then blinking A A.

Ive never seen a Hughes with those contacts in the battery compartment either,is it some kind of later modification?

Drop a note if you have any info :shock:

BTW:The plate for the A-contact was put there by yours truly,it wasnt there when I found it,must have fallen off somewhere in time.
I?m losing my edge!

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: Hughes module?

Post09 Nov 2005, 19:10

Yes, at least it looks like one.

Can you set the message, it should come after setting time and date, in my watch I can set 5 lines of text?

AAA AA would be a quite dumb pre-programmed message, so I guess its a programmmable one. :wink:

I can photograph the instructions for setting, its a pain to set the text for all 5 lines (5 lines, each 5 characters), takes some time to set the message. :wink:

Edit: The contacts are a modification someone did afterwards. The original "unmodified" module does not have these, probably a measure to get better contact or use smaller batteries (AG12 instead of AG13)...

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post09 Nov 2005, 23:59

fronzelneekburm wrote:Yes, at least it looks like one.

Can you set the message, it should come after setting time and date, in my watch I can set 5 lines of text?

Edit: The contacts are a modification someone did afterwards. The original "unmodified" module does not have these, probably a measure to get better contact or use smaller batteries (AG12 instead of AG13)...

Nahh cant set it.
Time/date setting worked when I bought it but I got curious about that missing contact...mail or Pm me pics of the setting instructions.

That "modification" in cell compartments cant be a "homemade" job,its to perfect!
I?m losing my edge!

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post10 Nov 2005, 13:06

embelton wrote:
fronzelneekburm wrote:Yes, at least it looks like one.

Nahh cant set it.
Time/date setting worked when I bought it but I got curious about that missing contact...mail or Pm me pics of the setting instructions.

That "modification" in cell compartments cant be a "homemade" job,its to perfect!

Hmmm, so it is impossible to set the message? What a pitty, thats the most interesting part of the watch. :cry:
Give me some time, maybe I can photograph the instructions tonight. Unfortunately a cable from my scanner is missing (I should tidy up my flat...)

Sure about the modification? Doesnt look as its centered very well and the original flat contacts are still there in the pics. I may be wrong but I still think someone just soldered these contacts in to use AG-12 instead of AG-13 batteries. Well, okay thats just a guess. :wink: Homemade modifications dont need to be ugly or cheap - look at what the master did with his watches (Higgie)... :D

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Post11 Nov 2005, 05:15

I thought I might be able to shed a little light on this subject. It's a little hard to tell from your picture, but the battery contact pieces in your module look like ones I've seen that were used on many of the Hughes modules, mostly the smaller 1" ones. They're just metal contacts in a piece of clear plastic that's inserted into the battery ports. They're just sitting on the circuit board so they're able to slide around. If you were to seperate the circuit board from the plastic movement ring, they would probably just fall out. If you want, you could just pop them out with a needle or similar pointed object. Also, the way to tell a programmable module from the regular ones is that the progammable ones have 5 full sized digit chips and they are all EVENLY SPACED. :D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post11 Nov 2005, 21:38

The pic shows up pretty clearly on my monitor, and according to notonly1's description [five evenly spaced LED chips in the display], what you've got there is definately a programmable module.
Last edited by bruce wegmann on 13 Nov 2005, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Nov 2005, 23:26

Yiiiihaaaaaa!!!!
Its working...how do I programme it?
I can set time and date but not the text...

I bought it on ebay...a bargain :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

As you can see the watch only has 2 buttons and no "text"-pusher!
I?m losing my edge!

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Nov 2005, 00:56

Rrrrrrogntudjuuuuuu
I?m losing my edge!

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Nov 2005, 00:57

thats french
I?m losing my edge!

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Nov 2005, 01:04

Ive programmed one word("Mille",my son?s name),,,how to continue?
I?m losing my edge!

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Nov 2005, 01:09

Does his help...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4303996.html

I tried to read it through but I'm just too tired (new baby - no social life - no sleep etc)

Bestens DB

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Nov 2005, 01:19

danishbloke:Im to drunk to figure that out but I guess it will be of help in the morning.
I?m losing my edge!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post30 Sep 2006, 12:26

Could anyone please post the instructions for this? (The programmable Hughes that is)

Also, does the lower button show the message when nothing has been programmed in? The button on mine does nothing, which is probably a contact problem. I get a series of "A A A", etc, when I first power up.

Thanks!

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post01 Oct 2006, 02:47

I've got two of those modules and I have been too lazy to try and figure the programming out. Every time one has came up for sale on ebay I have contacted the owner and offered to BUY a copy of their instruction manual. _(&&*()^'ers have never been willing. :x
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Oct 2006, 11:42

it aint that hard to figure out how it done,its all about patience!
I?m losing my edge!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post01 Oct 2006, 12:34

Do you simply set the letters or is there also a procedure to program the words? Also, will the words be stored even when the batteries are removed? As of right now, whatever I seem to program doesn't "stick".

Jeff

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post01 Oct 2006, 23:01

I sold my watch a year ago so I dont remeber exactly how it was done,but this patent should explain how to...
"when watch has advanced through the character positions and returned to the first character position of the last word of said sequence of words, depressing second push button an additional time to remove watch from message setting mode"?
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4303996.html
I?m losing my edge!

Return to Electronical