It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:07

Pulsar Repair Question

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

collector

Techie

Techie

Pulsar Repair Question

Post23 Mar 2006, 20:11

Found the below post on the "Old Pulsar" web site. Does anyone on this forum know anything about this type of module repair? Looks very interesting - is this a a path to "fix" some of our dead Pulsar modules???

[b]POST ON THE PUSAR WEB SITE::[/b]---------------------------------------

Outstanding Pulsar Repairs

Name: Jef Richards Posted: 2006/03/17

E-mail: jef@mail.utexas.edu Time: 14:35
Original post:

F.Y.I.,

I've got a Pulsar II that didn't work, but was in decent physical shape. I sent it to Parsec to see if it could be repaired and, as most people have experienced, it was returned to me with no comment except "parts no longer available." But wait, there's good news! Through this website I discovered a fellow named Steve Kammeraad (sllrkam@comcast.net) who claimed to do Pulsar repairs, so I sent it to him. Unlike Parsec, he was very willing to tell me all the details. He concluded that the microprocessor was dead, and that it was about the only part on the watch that couldn't be replaced. But he offered a different solution: rebuilding my module. It would no longer be entirely authentic, and the digits would be solid bars instead of dots, but it would still work the same way, including using a magnet to set the time. I had him do it. Guess what? It's fabulous!!! While working on it, he did several things to it cosmetically, to return it to nearly new appearance. The new module works and LOOKS just like the old, except if you look very, very, closely you can see the numbers aren't made of dots. It would take a true fanatic to notice the difference. It's like having my old friend back again. I'm thrilled and give Steve my strongest endorsement.

- Jef

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: Pulsar Repair Question

Post24 Mar 2006, 03:05

I think the path has already been walked down. A lot of forum memebers have rebuilt Pulsar modules; there's tons of them on Ebay and I don't just mean the Frankenstein ones, if you know what I'm talking about. And then you have that incredible chip that Phil (ledwatch.net) came out with that has overcome one of the most widespread problems of the P2/P3 modules.

Anyway, I don't see what "Steve" could have done, other than rebuild the module from P4 parts and that would make it quite different looking, on the front side. I would have to assume the guy who got it fixed, only saw the module from the back, with the back plate off.

MJ

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post24 Mar 2006, 03:19

MJ you wrote:And then you have that incredible chip that Phil (ledwatch.net) came out with that has overcome one of the most widespread problems of the P2/P3 modules.

Where is the thread for that? I don't recall seeing it.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post24 Mar 2006, 04:50

Sent you a PM.

Return to Electronical