It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:05

which tools do you use?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Deep Thought

Nerd

Nerd

which tools do you use?

Post25 Mar 2006, 22:23

hi!
i would like to replace batteries and change the length of metal wristbands myself.
which tools do you recommend?

serching ebay, i came accross these tools:

http://cgi.ebay.de/NEU-UHREN-WERKZEUG-S ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/Stiftausdruecker-fue ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... _Stores_IT

what do you think?
i have to admit that i am a newbee in these things... i never did that before. but i have so many watches with empty batteries and watches which i have never worn because the wristband doesn't fit...i have to do something! and i'd like to save the money to buy new watches...

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Re: which tools do you use?

Post26 Mar 2006, 06:16

Welcome to watch collecting. It's a fun hobby. The items you selected are all useful tools, but there's one in particular that I'd like to recommend. It's the Bergeon springbar tool. If you'll go to Julesborel.com and search through the horological tools, you'll find item #BG6767F. This one has the small regular sized pin on one end and a small forked tip on the other. I prefer the small forked tip for removing metal bands, but it works just as well on leather bands. The tips on this tool are tempered and very resistant to dulling or breaking. IMO it's much better than the black one pictured in your first link. I also recommend that you take the time to look through this site. They have a large selection of horological tools and are a good company to deal with. Even if you didn't choose to send all the way to the U.S. to buy anything, you can still see what's available. Also, the caseback tool in your third link is a JAXA style tool and while it is very useful for removing tight casebacks, I don't use mine very much. I mostly use the 2 pin crab type (I think that's the correct name) as shown in your first link. It's quicker and easier to use. Let me know if I can be of any more help.l

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Re: which tools do you use?

Post26 Mar 2006, 16:55

I agree with notonly1 this type of caseback opener is a bit fiddly but it fits all my watches and if you only use it for occasional battery changes it works fine but is not as quick as the crab type openers mentioned. I have not caused any damage or marks using it. When it comes to buying tools I think its cheaper to find someone selling a larger set of tools than buying individually and usually you get a few spring bars etc with these kits which come in very usefull.

Return to Electronical