It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:33

Strange Hughes Module Problem.

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Strange Hughes Module Problem.

Post31 Mar 2006, 22:44

Hi lads,

I won this non working watch recently http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1 I did all the usual stuff cleaned the contacts, buttons etc and got it working.

But there's little problem with it I?ve not seen before. The module lights up perfect when any of the two buttons are pressed, except the time will not advance unless the button is continuously held keeping the module lit. It can be left for hours and hours and will not advance one second until either button is re-pressed and held.

I don?t know enough about theses Hughes modules to check to see if there's power reaching the parts which keep the time going when the displays not lit.

I'd really like to get this one working as its a stunner.

Anyone have any thoughts or help, I?am stumped...

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Strange Hughes Module Problem.

Post26 Apr 2006, 16:59

Not being able to access the auction pictures, this is only a guess....
There are a few odd models(many LCDs are set up this way) where you have a contact that protruds out from the module and contacts the case body. If that is bent or missing, you get weird things like you are describing. Look if you have a contact point that seems to be missing something - the text of the auction noted something about soldering repairs.... :o
The whole thing was very weird(stupid,IMO) but manufacturers do weird things to get around patents or competitors or just to be different. Software is a good example of "recreating the wheel just because you can". :roll:

EDIT: Duh! IT is a Hughes module(should have read the thread title)...haven't seen the above setup on a Hughes, only other brands.
Last edited by retroleds on 26 Apr 2006, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post26 Apr 2006, 17:58

Been there done that... http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=575

I never got the damn thing to work!
I?m losing my edge!

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post28 Apr 2006, 20:58

Thanks for the info, I'll have another go trying to get it running properly.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post19 May 2006, 13:07

have the same problem with one module. probably there is a loose wire on the board somewhere but i don't have a microscope to check which one it is.

Return to Electronical