It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:26

Watch Press - is it a good buy ?

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Watch Press - is it a good buy ?

Post27 Apr 2006, 13:23

Hi, my first real post here,so hello all :D
Is this any good for a square faced digital watch ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/watch-bezel-press ... cmdZViewIt

How do you fit a square watch into a round jig ? I'm kind of reluctant to even try pressing the back on by hand.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Re: Watch Press - is it a good buy ?

Post28 Apr 2006, 04:48

The website address you gave does not bring anything up, but I can tell you a bit about case presses based on my experience.

I own two presses. One has brass dies and the other has white plastic dies. I prefer the plastic dies as the brass ones can scratch your watch, even when you place cloth between the die and the face of the watch.

To close the case on a watch with a square crystal, you need to be able to fit the die around the crystal and catch the case of the watch. If the die makes any contact with the crystal of the watch, it will absolutely break it. When you are shopping for a case press, take some measurements to make certain that the case press kit it has a die that will fit over the crystal.
Last edited by Planet-LED on 29 Apr 2006, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Apr 2006, 21:01

Pardon my stupidity, but are you saying that the entire metal square face should fit into the round die or that the metal face can rest on the edge as long as the crystal is in the hollow of the die ? My guess is the latter then the crystal is in no way touching anything and the round edge of the die should be pressing against the metal only. :? However, is there a chance that the watch could slip when pressure is applied .......... :roll:

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post29 Apr 2006, 01:33

Fitron Fiend,

The die only needs to clear the edges of the crystal so that there is no compressive force on the crystal.

This is very important as well. The die turns onto a threaded rod. Make sure that you stop when the threaded rod is flush with the die. If you thread it in too far, the threaded rod will break the crystal. I'm sure you will do fine.

I bought my case press, with the white plastic dies, at this website: http://www.tmpco.com/catalog/catalog.htm

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 May 2006, 17:57

Many thanks. I'll buy one and practise on a cheap watch first though.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post02 May 2006, 01:41

I used to sell presses on Ebay. They were the "generic" blue iron cast ones with 12 white circular dies. I've never had a problem with any shaped watch, big or small. One thing I always do is put some tissue under the red lens, to insure it doesn't get scratched. Actually I always use the two biggest dies on 90% of the watches I put in it.

Fitron Seller

PS: I would have used this press on your Fitron. :)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 May 2006, 12:49

:D
Good to know my watch had a loving owner in a past life. I now (as you know) have got a 2nd one and I managed to press the back on with my thumbs without any major effort much to my surprise, it's certainly on tight enough.

PS Jeff I'll get those Fitron module photos to you by this weekend, I honestly don't have time at the moment (although I can find time to type this....oh yes I'm at work..... :wink: )

Return to Electronical