It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:43

Jump watch repair

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

davefinic

Nerd

Nerd

Jump watch repair

Post23 May 2006, 23:54

I know this is not an LED problem but there seem to be many knowledgabe watch repairers on this site. I have a mechanical wind up jump watch which keeps stopping when i took the back off it seemed dirty when i cleaned it slightly it started to work again, I wondered if its possible to clean the mechanics of this watch in my utrasonic cleaner, and if so should I just use water or some other cleaning solution. Do I then need to oil this before reassembly and if so where, I have some watch oil but have never used it. Any help would be much appreciated although this wath is the least valuble of my collection it gets the most regular wear as im not worried about wearing an expensive or rare watch when working. Thanks Dave

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Jump watch repair

Post24 May 2006, 06:30

Have you looked at Azimuths site?
Maybe you could get some repair hints http://crazywatches.w.interia.pl/indeks.html?
I?m losing my edge!

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post24 May 2006, 15:42

Oiling a watch isn't something you can do like oiling a door hinge.
If you don't know much go to your watch repair men ,the one who does it himself, not the one who send it somewhere and it should'nt cost more than 40$.
Otherwise , wait until you go to Thailand , India ,Romania ...and bring all your watch there it should'nt cost too much.
I had watch repaired and cleaned in Burma for 2$.(and the country and the people there are great)
Could be an idea for your next holidays!
Last edited by CompuChron2 on 24 May 2006, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 May 2006, 18:58

A decent high street jeweler, who does watch repairs, should be able to get the watch back to full working order. Debenhams often have an 'in time' concession in their stores, who charge fair rates. However be prepared for two potential let downs. If the watch is a one jewel, or no jewel movement, they may well say they can do nothing, and even if they do fix it, it will still lose a few minutes a day, because thats the accuracy limits of that kind of movement.

I have a mint one jewell jump watch that I love, but it loses a couple of mins a day which is aparrently good for the type, while my 17 jewel version is far, far better. Good luck

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2006, 11:41

Before cleaning a mechanical watch you need to disassemble it to the smallest part, clean in an ultrasonic cleaner using warm water with washing liquid, dry gently and dip in alcohol that will take out leftovers of water and speed up the drying process.
Using a rotation cleaner you have 3 jars of which the first is warm water with washing liquid for a few minutes, then the 2nd jar contains alcohol (or white spirit) for the first wash and the 3rd jar also contains alcohol (or white spirit) for the last clean wash.

Dry out, assemble and oil each ruby with a very small drop of watch oil.

The biggest risk is not to damage the balance spring which is very delicate.
If you don't feel safe, just leave the entire balance assembled during cleaning.

best
Piotr

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post20 Aug 2006, 08:46

I found this that I didn't test:

looks good. http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post20 Aug 2006, 10:04

Shows the basics for those that don't have a clue. Worth the money and you won't even have to read ;)

Return to Electronical