It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:35

Brushed Stainless Steel Finish

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Supersonic

Nerd

Nerd

Brushed Stainless Steel Finish

Post08 May 2004, 23:50

Would any of the experts out there be kind enough to advise on the best way to restore the brushed finish on stainless steel. I have a couple of Pulsar P3 watches which could do with light scuff marks being removed. I have been practising on a non valuable stainless strap with a few emery nail pads but they vary in emery grade used leading to inconsistent results.

Also a step by step reliable method of adding a new time screen would be helpful.

Thanks

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: Brushed Stainless Steel Finish

Post18 May 2004, 12:53

I?d use steel-wool... Just be sure you use it always in the same direction... :lol:

bitfiend

Techie

Techie

Post03 Jun 2004, 09:48

Depending on the coarseness of the texture, there are different grades of "satin bars".
That's what watchmakers use to redo your graining and achieve a factory result. Use a loupe and be patient and use light strokes and keep your hand steady, and the watches grain will end up looking exactly like it did when it left the factory. (You ccan also get buffing wheels of differing grades for satin/brushed finishes, but that requires more equipment/skill.)

Careful taping of polished sections/facets and the crystal are of course recommended. Practice on some junkers until you get the hang of it.

For smaller sections, like lugs- you can use a glass fiber pen.

KKeep in mind that these won't get deep scratches out, but wil totally restore your lightly worn cases and bracelets to factory-new condition if you use them properly.

You can find all these tools online at several watchmakers supply shops.
Timezone.com has good prices.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post03 Jun 2004, 12:22

I?ve found the Satin Bar at the website...

Looks good, I think I?ll definitely give it a try... :P

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Mar 2006, 02:19

I have used a dremel with a telescopic hose attachment (for better control), and with 'scotchbrite' brushes, medium grade. However, only on stainless steel, and be VERY gentle. It strips GF in the blink of an eye. I found using the hand tools did the trick, but getting the brushing to look totally even in the same direction, ie all the brush marks looking paralelle, is pretty dificult. But I can't stress enough how easy it is to screw things up completely with a dremel. I wouldn't try it on your best items, and it's essential for the watch to be held securely.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2006, 11:52

I use a satin bar and it all depends on the experience and steady hand. This is an example as shown on my website:

I have also found a satin polish compound but haven't tried it. If anyone will buy it please post your comments.
http://www.watchpolishing.com/brush.htm

Return to Electronical