It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:44

tips for screw backs and clip on backs

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

tips for screw backs and clip on backs

Post20 Sep 2006, 21:02

Hi,

I was struggling this morning with a screw back that was hard to put back in place , I put a few drops of oil (vegetable oil!) on a kleenex then I wiped the screw with it and it has been so easy to put back in place.

I was struggling a few minutes later on a clip on back i almost broke my thumbs trying to put it back in place and I couldn't ; so I heated the back on my toaster for a few seconds (let's say 45) , the back expand a little with the heat and I 've been able to put it back with ease...

Lot of cooking ingredients there but I'm french after all!
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Re: tips for screw backs and clip on backs

Post20 Sep 2006, 21:17

I do a similar thing using a light weight houshold oil, but a lot of times the reason for hard starting is dirty threads. I first use an old toothbrush to clean out the threads and then apply the oil.

TheFordGuy

Geek

Geek

: tips for screw backs and clip on backs

Post07 Nov 2007, 18:56

A commonly available penetrating oil such as WD-40 or PB Blaster on a cotton swab would be my preference over veggie oil, since it won't get "gummy" over time. Both have some cleaning ability too.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : tips for screw backs and clip on backs

Post07 Nov 2007, 19:16

TheFordGuy wrote:A commonly available penetrating oil such as WD-40 or PB Blaster on a cotton swab would be my preference over veggie oil, since it won't get "gummy" over time. Both have some cleaning ability too.

PB BLASTER is my favorite(although it is terrible strong smelling) as it is electrically conductive. WD-40 isn't, nor is veggie oil.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical