It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:02

Instructions:Setting Hughes Programmable Message Module

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Instructions:Setting Hughes Programmable Message Module

Post07 Nov 2006, 21:23

Decided to muck around with one of these today when I popped open a non-worker and found a Hughes 5-line message module(pale tan plastic to main body of module.) Replaced the missing contact where the left button hits(7 oclock)and it was off to the races!

A.First four pushs to setter are the usual for time and date.
B2.Fifth push to setter starts the first line of text.
C.Push left(7 oclock) button so leftmost digit is lit.
D.Press function button(1 oclock)and first the alphabet and then numbers and a few characters scroll by.Press function button to stop on desired character. There are a few places while it goes thru the alphabet where there is just a blinking dot - these are your chance for leaving a space. When satisfied with selection press left button to advance to next space right.
E.When line is completed, press setter to move to next line - READ THE TWO STEPS BELOW TO PREVENT MAJOR FRUSTRATION.
F.When you move to a new character OR a new line(if setting after a battery change), the character selection sequence will always start at the character last displayed while setting the previous character.
Example, I set my watch top say "MOMMA" as part of the message. Once I set the "M" for the third character, all I had to do once moved to the fourth position was quickly hit the 1 oclock function button twice - once to start the alphabetical sequence and again to stop it. Mercifully they built in about 1.5 seconds delay....which ties into the next caveat.
G.You need that delay if you mis-spell a word. Understand, if you want to change a letter in the middle of a word, you must "confirm" each letter in the word by pressing the function button twice(relatively quickly so nothing changes). Going back and changing just one letter WITHOUT "confirming" will not save the change.

I hope this helps someone out there..... the next reply shows the result(is that a retro La General case or WHAT!?!)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Electronical