It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:30

One battery keeps draining

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

One battery keeps draining

Post20 Dec 2006, 15:30

Hi - I've got an Armitron led like this one...

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/armitron.htm

It's one they produced after they decided it was cheaper to use litronix modules instead of producing their own and so (surprise, surprise) it isn't working properly.

It fires up and runs great, but after about 24hours one of the batteries keeps draining. It's always the same battery (can't say if it's + up or down as they're both + up :roll: ).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? The module is a 25mm with buttons at 2 and 4 by the way - just to make it awkward to find a replacement...

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: One battery keeps draining

Post20 Dec 2006, 16:37

Is there any material between the back plate and the batteries? If not, maybe the metal back plate is touching one or both of them, which of course, this module isn't designed to do.

Jeff

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Dec 2006, 17:13

Hey Jeff, Thanks for the reply.

It's not that I'm afraid - I've had the module running out of the case on a wooden surface (sat on two 357's) and one of them still drained.

The material is still on the caseback - an original and very badly cut out piece of sponge (just oozes quality :wink:)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post20 Dec 2006, 18:53

Sounds like the crystal may be the culprit, as only one battery is running the circuit while NOT displaying....
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Dec 2006, 00:29

Hej Little1up,

I never thought about it being a crystal problem as the damn thing's running fine (used to seeing 0's etc when the oscillator isn't playing ball).

That's a bit of a pain as litronix modules use those Statek crystals which are a bit fiddly to say the least (one wire in two wires out). On the bright side I've got several donor litronix modules.

By the way, congratulations on adding to the "Microlux-disco-hughes message-watch collection".

I should have bid early dammit!!!

Bestens DB.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post21 Dec 2006, 00:36

If you don't have one, I may have a Litronix that has gone bad in the segments, for a donor.

Of course, that Microlux is in need of a serious polish job - plastic, case,etc. And no promises that the message function works...in which case I just bought an expensive case that needs a brain. I told the seller like 3-4 days before to try and get a message up...even directed him to my instructions HERE in the digital workbench area. :? I'd rather have seen the bidding go higher and NOT bought it; then, I could sell mine easier. :)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Dec 2006, 01:03

I think I've got at least four dead litronix modules from which I can get a crystal. They do look very fragile though so I may yet take you up on your kind offer of a donor.

One of the best parts of this hobby is reviving the cheapo watches. Beats polishing the Pulsars and Omegas any day :D

If you think how long it's taken all of us on DWF to get around to setting a message module then it's no surprise that someone with no interest in watches can't be bothered. I thought it looked promising anyway so good luck!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post21 Dec 2006, 04:00

And do use a heat sink(smooth jawes alligator clip) between the crystal and the solder joint...no point in killing it after 30 years.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Jan 2007, 10:47

I replaced the quartz crystal - a bit fiddly but fairly straight forward - and it's been running fine for a week now.

Another good diagnosis from Dr Ed.

(Quick word of advice. When replacing a quartz crystal with an identical part, always mark the broken one with a marker pen. Don't just put them right next to each other on the work bench and then go to answer the front door. Doh!...)

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post04 Jan 2007, 00:51

Hi,
I have a big SEIKO LCD multi alarm crown set which drains its only battery in 24h also , might it be the QC as well?
Note that the display seems lightly blinking when looked carefully.
:idea:
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jan 2007, 01:33

Could be. :?

Return to Electronical