It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 18:55

NS/PII Frankenstein

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

NS/PII Frankenstein

Post07 Feb 2007, 16:45

Finished work on this at the weekend. It's a mens National Semiconductor module put into a dead PII. It's my first attempt and it seems to be working great so I'm quite pleased with it.

Incidently that's one of Olivier's (Compuchron's) time screens on the watch and it actually looks much nicer than in the photo.

Here's the module before everything was tidied up and glued into place. Took it with a mobile phone so apologies for pic quality. The white wires go to the battery connections on the base. One end of the reed switches goes to the donor module the other end to the PII case, then put a new quartz on it and off you go...

(Ed - First time I've put any pics up - if these are too big then let me know and I'll resize them. DB).

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post07 Feb 2007, 16:54

Nice neat job 8) gives a lot of satisfaction when you see your creation bring a dead Pulsar back to life, every time you press the button you can think I did that :)

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post07 Feb 2007, 19:55

That's excellent, first class job you've done there. Is it a dot display or line.

I apologise if this is a stupid question :oops: but how do you set the time, isn't Pulsar watches set underneath by a magnet.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

PUlsar Frankenstien

Post07 Feb 2007, 20:01

EDIT] Nice job LEE!!(digibloke
400X400 photos are best...I think I can control this in the administrative controls...gonna go check that out.
Last edited by retroleds on 08 Feb 2007, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Feb 2007, 00:07

Klippie: It's a line display. I think only the first generation NS modules (time and seconds only) had dots (actually tiny lines, but look dotty all the same). I used an NS08 so it's got a day/date function with two pushes which is a bit of a plus.

It sets just like any other led. You put the magnet into the min slot at the back to put it into setting mode, use the time pusher to change the hours, then put the magnet into the minute slot again and use the pusher to change the minutes and so on. Basically you use the magnet the same as an indented setting button.

And hey I'm a Lee not a Richard!!!

(I know - it's getting tricky to keep track of who everyone is around here with all the name changing that's been going on) :wink:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2007, 00:40

This is why I used a Sanyo module in mine, it works the same way as a Pulsar, apart from on the watch it came from the setting was done by 2 buttons on the back of the watch rather than magnet, but I wired it to the reed switches so it sets exactly the same as the Pulsar did, and the time is on the right button and date on the left, it's the same as the Pulsar in every way apart from it's a line display not dot.

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=623&highlight=

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post08 Feb 2007, 00:43

:oops: :oops: ...I got carried away with Richard gushing about it and was swepp away in the moment.

OK - NIce job Lee!! The magnet setup sound like a lot less trouble then fumbling between the two magnet indents. National semi's a nice choice IMO- I've always thought they were pretty reliable and easy to work on. Next you'll need to rig up a Date Command with a National Dual Time zone module to put both buttons to work. 8) Or maybe a Hughes Message module, programmed to say,"My other watch is a P1" :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Feb 2007, 00:52

How about putting a Hughes message module in a P1 saying "my other watch is a litronix".

I bought a ladies compuchron to get hold of one of those sanyo modules. Problem was that the watch was immaculate and my wife saw it lying on my desk and presumed I'd bought it as a present for her :shock:

I took the easy brownie points and ended up using an NS module instead...

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post10 Feb 2007, 12:25

digibloke wrote:How about putting a Hughes message module in a P1 saying "my other watch is a litronix".

I bought a ladies compuchron to get hold of one of those sanyo modules. Problem was that the watch was immaculate and my wife saw it lying on my desk and presumed I'd bought it as a present for her :shock:

I took the easy brownie points and ended up using an NS module instead...

Ha, who would have risked breaking his wife's heart? :P
For sure the smarter solution :wink:

Return to Electronical