It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:24

Cold

For electronic related stuff like module repair, silver epoxy fixes etc.
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Cold

Post08 Feb 2007, 18:05

Can cold affect a watch? I recently left a watch with on my windowsill -the inside windowsill - for several days and I picked it up last night when it was about -6C outside and it was haywire. It was running at least 3 times too fast when in seconds mode and was hours and hours ahead of where it was supposed to be. I changed the batteries and the same thing happened so I thought it was a repair job. Next time I check it it's running fine! This was about after 20-30mins on my wrist so it was back up to a room temperature. It's a datatime module if that's any help.

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Feb 2007, 19:14

Yes, Cold does effect the frequency but only by fractions of a second overnight(If you stay above the failure rating for the QC).I am unaware of the quality and age of the Q,C you have,but changing that would be next.However since you loose hours it very well could be anything from a cold solder to one of the QC leads all the way to a wire bond at the IC on the verge of disconection?

I do know that low quality Crystals (used in most digitals) shut down right arround the Temp you mention,So again you may want to start there while checking for good solder connections.

The Synchronar runs at extreemly low temperatures as a result of the gels protective/insulating qualities combined with a high Quality Crystal.

You can check out Digi-Key who supplies a wide selection of Quartz Crystals and someone else here may know the proper replacment.
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Feb 2007, 21:17

Thanks Howard. I've been on a holiday and the watch has kept time perfectly now! The only thing I did was to move it away from the windowsill :? I guess it's a summer watch :D Or else I need to move to Australia. The wierd bit is I had several other watches on the windowsill and they were unaffected.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Cold

Post13 Feb 2007, 23:24

Chilling a watch allows moisture to condense in the case and settle on the electronics. It may have temporarily shorted out a capacitor [reducing its' value to zero], allowing the crystal frequency to jump way above its' normal one. Possible solution: remove the caseback, and warm the entire watch [including module], to 120-140 degrees F. [50-60 degrees C.] for a couple hours. This will drive off any trace of residual moisture. Re-install batteries and caseback while the watch is still warm. The chances are excellent you will have no further problems [unless it is an actual broken circuit trace that is "opening" and "closing" as it expands and contracts]. This experiment has worked for me, and is certainly worth trying, as it can do no harm, and may correct a very annoying problem.

Return to Electronical